IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ARC Induction Box Installed (now updated with dyno results (post 33)!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-06, 12:57 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This product is costly because they have to import it. It hasnt been released to the US yet. In Japan you probably wouldnt pay anymore than you would for a fujita f5. I also contacted my cousin who is currently working in japan to find out more about the product. He told me that the final product should include an aluminum ram air, that will replace the plastic oem piece.
Old 11-16-06, 01:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,393 Posts

Will the US release look the same as this one? Why did they choose aluminum instead of a composite (FG, CF, etc) that would be lighter, more heat soak resistant, and likely more visually appealing?

I also have the same observations as Gernby - a difference this small is difficult to call a difference. I've seen 10 hp variation in three runs over a five minute period with the same car at ~330 hp on a Dynojet, so 3 hp (~1%) could just be normal variation.
Old 11-16-06, 03:00 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

My understanding is that the Aluminum is a trademark look for ARC...now whether or not the final US version of this will look different or not..I can not say.
Old 11-16-06, 10:01 PM
Wests
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
This product is costly because they have to import it. It hasnt been released to the US yet. In Japan you probably wouldnt pay anymore than you would for a fujita f5. I also contacted my cousin who is currently working in japan to find out more about the product. He told me that the final product should include an aluminum ram air, that will replace the plastic oem piece.
I'm sorry to inform you, but the ARC box is 89,000 yen in Japan. which is around $750, FAR more than the cost of the Fujita intake. ARC does not produce separate products for the US and Japanese market. I'm not sure where you are getting your info, but there will not be US-spec ARC induction box. My box is a full JDM production unit, so what you see is what you get. There will not be an additional aluminum scoop included, though it is possible they may produce one and sell it for an extra cost ($3-400) later down the line. I should be getting my ARC suction pipe within the next few weeks, so expect more pics once I receive it.
Old 11-16-06, 10:07 PM
Wests
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Will the US release look the same as this one? Why did they choose aluminum instead of a composite (FG, CF, etc) that would be lighter, more heat soak resistant, and likely more visually appealing?

I also have the same observations as Gernby - a difference this small is difficult to call a difference. I've seen 10 hp variation in three runs over a five minute period with the same car at ~330 hp on a Dynojet, so 3 hp (~1%) could just be normal variation.
I should have provided more information, but that's just my fault for being lazy. The car was dynoed 3 times without the box and three times with the box. while I admit the 3-4 horsepower gain I saw in the lower RPMs may in fact be a normal variation, the 9 HP jump from about 6k to redline is not. Surprisingly enough, after driving from LA to San Diego I poped my hood and felt the box and it was remarkably cool. I'm still trying to devise a cold air scoop that would draw cold air in from the bottom of the car.
Old 11-16-06, 10:43 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wests
I should have provided more information, but that's just my fault for being lazy. The car was dynoed 3 times without the box and three times with the box. while I admit the 3-4 horsepower gain I saw in the lower RPMs may in fact be a normal variation, the 9 HP jump from about 6k to redline is not. Surprisingly enough, after driving from LA to San Diego I poped my hood and felt the box and it was remarkably cool. I'm still trying to devise a cold air scoop that would draw cold air in from the bottom of the car.
Try my thoughts:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=247954
Old 11-16-06, 11:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,393 Posts

Try idling at a red light for about a minute or a minute and a half when ambient temperature is at least 25C. Then check the temperature on the box. I'd be interested to know what it is, not what it feels like. Better yet, if you could datalog the intake air temperature (IAT) that will tell me everything I am curious about.
Old 11-17-06, 06:52 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sorry to inform you, but the ARC box is 89,000 yen in Japan. which is around $750, FAR more than the cost of the Fujita intake. ARC does not produce separate products for the US and Japanese market. I'm not sure where you are getting your info, but there will not be US-spec ARC induction box. My box is a full JDM production unit, so what you see is what you get. There will not be an additional aluminum scoop included, though it is possible they may produce one and sell it for an extra cost ($3-400) later down the line. I should be getting my ARC suction pipe within the next few weeks, so expect more pics once I receive it.
Yeah, he did not specify if there would be a added price for the add on. But there will definitely be another addition to the existing airbox. As for the price, I can not prove that it is what it is. This is simply one person reporting to another in two different countries. He (My cousin) told me, "The listed price is $420 U.S. Dollars," I do not know the conversion rate. As for the different versions..He was also told that they do have US specific products. Keep in mind that he has to travel with a intepreter as he is vietnamese and not japanese. One would assume you could get the most accurate information on a product from the source...maybe he needs to send me some sound clips or pictures or something. He will be in okinawa for another three days then flying out of tokyo...I'll make him stop by Auto Salon again.

And if it is indeed that price...I'll give him my credit card# and make him lug it back on JAL all the way back to D.C.

Last edited by NovaIS350; 11-17-06 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-17-06, 07:08 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

We need an english speaking ARC rep to clear this up...cause it seems like you paid the canadian price for the product.

Last edited by NovaIS350; 11-17-06 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-17-06, 07:15 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't want to pull air from below the car. The air is hotter, and the risk of hydrolock is higher. I don't think there is a better location for the intake snorkel than stock.

BTW, I dynoed my car with the hood down for 3 runs and up for 4 runs. Even with the stock snorkel, there was a ~12 HP reduction with the hood down. I don't see how ANY intake that pulls air from the engine compartment could possibly overcome that loss. When the car is moving with a stock intake, IAT is only about 4-5 degrees F above ambient (per my OBDII data logger).
Old 11-17-06, 10:41 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,062 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

I should be getting my ARC suction pipe within the next few weeks, so expect more pics once I receive it.
Any idea what they charge for the "suction pipe" ??

Nice pics and Dyno numbers!!!

Joe Z
Old 11-17-06, 05:45 PM
Wests
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Any idea what they charge for the "suction pipe" ??

Nice pics and Dyno numbers!!!

Joe Z
it's 299.99
Old 11-17-06, 07:02 PM
cajunboy
Driver

After see that price, Joe Z will consider raising his price now lol.
Old 11-18-06, 06:16 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gernby
I wouldn't want to pull air from below the car. The air is hotter, and the risk of hydrolock is higher. I don't think there is a better location for the intake snorkel than stock.

BTW, I dynoed my car with the hood down for 3 runs and up for 4 runs. Even with the stock snorkel, there was a ~12 HP reduction with the hood down. I don't see how ANY intake that pulls air from the engine compartment could possibly overcome that loss. When the car is moving with a stock intake, IAT is only about 4-5 degrees F above ambient (per my OBDII data logger).
Very useful info Gernby, there is some easy horse power to be made by making or modding a more efficient external air pick up!
Old 11-18-06, 06:48 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by clubfoot
Very useful info Gernby, there is some easy horse power to be made by making or modding a more efficient external air pick up!
Actually, I don't think the stock intake has a problem when the car is moving. When it is on a dyno with the hood down, there isn't much air flowing through the radiator, so I imagine the air in front of the radiator (where the stock intake pulls its air from) is pretty hot. I will datalog IAT on the dyno next time.

Quick Reply: ARC Induction Box Installed (now updated with dyno results (post 33)!)