IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Go check your seatbelts please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-06, 08:38 PM
Jatt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I dont get how Lexus isn't to blame? Its their tech, if he made a 'slight error' or something that 'happens all the time' then a lawsuit is all they need to make sure their techs do their job properly. I'm in franchise business myself, if one of my employees caused food poisoning to a customer, who do you think is going to get sued? Sure as hell isn't the employee.

Man the guy bought an IS350 in Canada, thats a 70k car right there, if the tech/dealership screwed up, make them pay for it, big time....
Old 10-26-06, 08:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Originally Posted by 9520G
Lexus and the tech are one in the same.
Originally Posted by Jatt
Guys,

If its true that the tech was the reason behind this, he could easily take this to court, if this tech is employed by Lexus, hes representing Lexus, thats how the cookie crumbles.

Hey DNSZoom, where are you from in Canada? Honestly, discuss it with your lawyer, with the info you've provided so far, it seems like you have a clear cut shot at a nice chunk of change.
The tech is employed by the dealership, not Lexus. Lexus does not own the dealership. The tech clearly did not follow the instructions provided by Lexus. They have no direct liability for poor workmanship at the dealer's service department. That's how the cookie crumbles.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-26-06 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-26-06, 08:51 PM
Jatt
Driver

You dont know if the dealership is corporate owned or independently owned/operated, if its company then theres no doubt Lexus can be found liable, if independent then the dealership is, regardless employer is the one who is ultimately responsible for training and ensuring proper maintenance, if a 747 falls flat on the runway due to faulty wheels, obviously the parent company such as Boeing etc. would be the ones responsible, would they not?

Lets not get confused here, I'm not looking to argue with anyone on this topic, but I totally see this guys viewpoint.
Old 10-26-06, 08:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Yes I do. There are no corporately owned Lexus dealerships in North America. It's how they limit their liability.

If a 747 loses a wheel there are two possible causes - improper maintenance and deficient design. If the maintenance is not performed correctly Boeing is not liable the company maintaining the jet is liable. If the maintenance is correctly performed but the wheel was lost anyway, then Boeing is liable.
Old 10-26-06, 09:02 PM
Jatt
Driver

Lobux your right, and I'll say I'm wrong on some points, I wasn't aware there were no corporate dealerships either, but would you agree that he should take it up with the dealership and if he can get some compensation to take it?
Old 10-26-06, 09:25 PM
HaveBlue
Driver

Wow I didn't even know the Lexus had seatbelts!

I nearly got hit by some guy and I'm going to sue him because I could have gotten hurt because of his poor driving.
Old 10-26-06, 09:59 PM
Thierry
Driver School Candidate

Some of you guys are just plain ridiculous.

The Lexus tech`s represent the Lexus dealership, do they not?
Where did these assumptions of him simply looking for a settlement from Lexus come from?
How can you say his life was not put in danger?

Lexus owes you a serious apology and yeah a few free services.

Last edited by Thierry; 10-26-06 at 10:02 PM. Reason: **** you
Old 10-26-06, 10:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Lobux your right, and I'll say I'm wrong on some points, I wasn't aware there were no corporate dealerships either, but would you agree that he should take it up with the dealership and if he can get some compensation to take it?
Absolutely! The dealership should be bending over backwards to make good on this. It's truly a stroke of good fortune no one was hurt/injured/killed and the issue was discovered on a preflight check. It's their problem, their tech, and they need to solve it to a reasonable satisfactory conclusion.

I wouldn't be asking for a free car, and you'd have a hard time convincing a judge or jury you deserve this, but for sure, he should be getting some compensation (service, parts/new car purchase discount, etc.), but that's up to the dealership and the affected party. Had there been a wreck and injury, the whole picture would be different. Right now it's pretty simple to solve.
Old 10-27-06, 04:33 AM
dnszoom
Pole Position

I didn't want to start this type of response (which has been common of late on this board).

There are very knowledgable members on this board and this was meant to be an informational post. I will not retort, rebut or provide rhetoric - my apologies if my stance was viewed aggressively.

I do not want to sue. The only real want I have is that this doesn't happen again - to anyone.

For those that are interested - I required escalation as the dealership has yet to act and offered no olive branches. I didn't want to edit the OP as to place some of the subsequent comments out of context.

That is all I'm going to post on this topic.
Old 10-27-06, 05:10 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Guys,

If its true that the tech was the reason behind this, he could easily take this to court, if this tech is employed by Lexus, hes representing Lexus, thats how the cookie crumbles.

Hey DNSZoom, where are you from in Canada? Honestly, discuss it with your lawyer, with the info you've provided so far, it seems like you have a clear cut shot at a nice chunk of change.
Are you insane?

Is everyone's response to everything take them to court? That is what is wrong with the world today. People are too damn sue happy. No one got hurt, accidents happen -- have you never made a mistake at your job? Sure, he could have been injured/killed if he got into a car accident but lets be more realistic, that didn't happen -- he was lucky enough to catch the problem. If anything he is owed an apology, and some free service due to the fact that his life could have been put in jeopardy. It is people like you that larger companies have to look out for -- you should be ashamed of yourself.
Old 10-27-06, 06:24 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Just curious, but with that seat belt recall, what work is exactly done? Would they even be touching that bolt? I think we should all go check our seatbelts to just just to be sure.
Old 10-27-06, 06:38 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caymandive
Just curious, but with that seat belt recall, what work is exactly done? Would they even be touching that bolt? I think we should all go check our seatbelts to just just to be sure.
Why bother? Accidents happen...lexus techs aren't perfect...people make mistakes...its only a car...

I threw it out there as a question, but I don't know if the recall fix involves messing with that bolt. Most people who have chimed in here seem pretty certain it does.
Old 10-27-06, 09:11 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caymandive
I am pretty sure that the whole seat belt mechanism is replaced. If thats the case, then that bolt is removed.
Old 10-27-06, 12:39 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which dealership did the recall?
Old 10-27-06, 12:43 PM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Wow...

check chekety check yo seatbelts befo' you wreck you seatbelts... 'cause frontal impacts are bad for yo' heatlth....

Quick Reply: Go check your seatbelts please!