IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Go check your seatbelts please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-06, 12:47 PM
mariabee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what little I remember of tort law, and I graduated law school eons ago, there has to be harm and damages for there to be a lawsuit over this. If there was an accident, it'd be a different story, but didn't this just get discovered when the owner was attempting to buckle up? Unless it falls under "strict liability" (like some toxic torts, and blasting), there'd have to be damages proven. Emotional distress upon discovering this wouldn't fly.

I don't believe that this poster is looking to sue, anyway. I think he's just upset, and actually, I would be, too. And when I get upset, I want everyone to pay attention! I think Lexus Corporate would want to know that something like this had happened, actually, because maybe they need to have better training procedures and supervision for their dealerships.

Last edited by mariabee; 10-27-06 at 12:48 PM. Reason: I left out a word that changed the meaning of the whole sentence.
Old 10-27-06, 12:47 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
I am pretty sure that the whole seat belt mechanism is replaced. If thats the case, then that bolt is removed.
From my recollection of the parts list on the service order, you are correct.
Old 10-27-06, 01:29 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you mariabee. we all certainly appreciate the safety aspect and the risk to the driver and we are greatful that the driver did not have an accident without adequate protection.

But I think about driving home in a rainstorm at night, for 15 miles coming home, and as soon as I pull into my garage, I see the one of my front headlight is out. So obviously I drove home in an unsafe vehicle and my life was placed at some amount of risk, who's fault it is? i dunno...but i guess it doesn't matter if it's your fault, the techs fault, or the jiffy lube mechanic that forgot to put all the wheel lugs nuts on. If nothing happens, the damages you incur from the additional risks...i can't calculate those.

negligence is a whole 'nother matter. if you put no lug nuts on, the tire will probably fall off. If it doesn't fall off and you escape a disaster, i still say that is negligence. and you have damages.

i dunno, just some thoughts.
Old 10-27-06, 02:17 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

I think that a safety restraint mechanism coming apart is a bit more serious than a headlight going out, but maybe that's just me?
Old 10-27-06, 02:32 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

All this talk about suing is STUPID!! Just because of a fallen seat-belt??!! Cmon guys....

Like people have said that it's probably the mechanic and NOT Lexus! Other thing you MIGHT want to consider is how much a COMPANY DOES to make their cars as safe as possible. If you haven't seen an automobile plant, than I suggest you go see one! You'll realize how complicated things get on the shop floor to maintain a safe work environment! WE ARE HUMANS, NOT GODS!!! Just get it fixed and and stop bi***ing about suing...... Have a little consideration of how much goes into building YOUR car!
Old 10-27-06, 02:56 PM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

dats some crazy seatbelt failure
Old 10-27-06, 03:13 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Pimp350
All this talk about suing is STUPID!!
Exactly, good luck suing for what MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED.
Old 10-27-06, 03:16 PM
GSE25
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dnszoom
I do not want to sue. The only real want I have is that this doesn't happen again - to anyone.
.......................... He's trying to warn you guys and all you do is flame him.
Old 10-27-06, 03:24 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by GSE25
.......................... He's trying to warn you guys and all you do is flame him.
We're not flaming him, we're just trying to prevent false panic. The technician who performed the seatbelt recall at his dealer made a mistake which potentially could have had life threatening consequences had he been in an accident. But that doesn't mean that there is a problem with the parts or procedure in the TSB, such that other customers who have had the recall performed have anything to worry about. If the mechanic had forgotten to tighten the lug nuts when mounting his winter tires and his wheel fell off, should we all be going out to our cars to be sure the mechanic didn't make the same mistake to our cars?

I'm glad he posted, but it is premature (if not misleading) to imply his problem is applicable to other owners.
Old 10-27-06, 04:38 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As someone who knows Dave personally, he was just passing on info to us as a group so that if we had the seat belt recall done we would check our anchor points for security. He sounds very frustrated with the dealer and we all know how they can be sometimes. According to the seat belt campaign both outer seat belts are to be replaced and it does call for a torque wrench to be used. As someone who works in aviation that is one major mistake not tightening that bolt to spec!

Looking at the bolt threads closely, it seems as if it was cross threaded!

Last edited by clubfoot; 10-27-06 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-27-06, 05:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

I wasn't going to say that, but I agree, it does look like it pulled the threads out. That's a major screw up by the tech, and if he'd used his torque wrench like he should have, it never would have made spec. That's a sad commentary for the dealership.
Old 10-27-06, 05:59 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

All this talk about suing is STUPID!!
Yeah, it really is...since the OP never brought up litigation and specifically said he wasn't implying that!

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That's a major screw up by the tech, and if he'd used his torque wrench like he should have, it never would have made spec. That's a sad commentary for the dealership.
Absolutely. If this happened at my dealership (which I seriously doubt it ever would) they'd be tripping over themselves to make amends.
Old 10-27-06, 07:29 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Foxberry
Yeah, it really is...since the OP never brought up litigation and specifically said he wasn't implying that!
You DO realize that there were other people ENCOURAGING him!

Last edited by Cornellian; 10-27-06 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-27-06, 07:29 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were Lexus I would look into the situation to determine how the mistake was made. Based on that information, I may suggest amending the repair instructions or issuing a warning for techs to be on the look out for bolts that don't tighten or overtightening and stripping, etc.

True the OP didn't mention litigation. It was the other contributors who may have suggested it.
Old 10-27-06, 08:22 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

You DO realize that there were other people ENCOURAGING him!
Well, I saw 1 person suggest it, but the OP made it quite clear that was not his intent.
I assumed your comment was directed toward the OP, since you said "Just get it fixed and and stop bi***ing about suing"...

Quick Reply: Go check your seatbelts please!