IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Low Tire Warning

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-06, 08:29 AM
Jkeys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the issue with the tire pressure light coming on. I did raise my psi to 37 and have had no problems since. I do wish that they had an indicator as to which tire is low.
Old 10-27-06, 08:34 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the tire-low light come on twice so far. What I did was just check
the tire pressure in my garage before I got into the car. if it was low by 2 psi each tire, i just went to the gas station with my own tire gauge, (their's are usually unaccurate), then just added 2 lbs to whatever the beggining reading was, before I added air at the gas station..

I'd rather not even have this feature on my car..
Old 10-27-06, 08:46 AM
mariabee
Driver School Candidate

I agree with Tony1, I would rather not have this feature, either, if it means I have to start micromanaging my air pressure. I can't build time for air pressure checks and fills into my morning routine, that's for sure. I don't mind knowing about a tire that's about to go flat, but these little fluctuations due to changes in the temperature are just going to drive someone like me, who is neurotic enough to begin with, even more nuts!
Old 10-27-06, 08:53 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the only qualm i have with the TPMS is it doesnt tell you which tire is low. If the tire is filled to the proper pressure when cold you shouldnt have any problems the pressure can only get higher from there once you start driving
Old 10-27-06, 09:17 AM
mariabee
Driver School Candidate

It's noon now and the temperature here is 46 degrees -- I'm going to go out now and see what it says. If it's still low, I'll take it to a service station and check it and fill it up to 34 psi, as the dealer said.

Like I said, I shouldn't complain, but I absolutely hate to have to hassle anything on a car. I was spoiled by my old Toyota Camry which I had for seven years, and it never once went to the dealer. I only changed its oil. I was expecting the same from Lexus. Oh well. Whining over.
Old 10-27-06, 09:54 AM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

i fill my tires up one week, and the next week the warning light is back up...i wish i didnet have this feature
Old 10-27-06, 10:42 AM
mariabee
Driver School Candidate

Nicelex13, that's the way I feel.

I'm going to have to start carrying quarters for the air machine at the local gas station! I just went and filled them all to 34 --they were only down to 32, but the light was on. Isn't 32 the recommended psi?
Old 10-27-06, 10:49 AM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

i wish there was a way to turn the warning light off. I really dont need the car to tell me that my tire is below 32 psi. if my tire ever got low, i would probably be able to recognize that the tire was going low and take the right measurements to fill it back up. My previous car was a lexus without the warning light and i got by just fine...
Old 10-27-06, 11:04 AM
mariabee
Driver School Candidate

I think if the tires are AT 32, we shouldn't be getting "low tire" warnings. This is a bad feature for a worrywart like me....

But apparently, according to my dealer, only the IS is having this issue.
Old 10-27-06, 11:11 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mariabee
I think if the tires are AT 32, we shouldn't be getting "low tire" warnings. This is a bad feature for a worrywart like me....

But apparently, according to my dealer, only the IS is having this issue.
Ya'll should come to the south where it is warm all year round! I freeze to death at 60 degrees. Besides, it nice to only have one set of tires.
Old 10-27-06, 11:23 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I have had my car for 2 months now and the temperatures have gone from 50's to 30's in a day. The warning light has not shown up for me at all. I am running the stock 18's. You should look through the manual and see if you can reset the sensors to a lower pressure.
Old 10-27-06, 11:35 AM
mariabee
Driver School Candidate

That's a good suggestion, VikDiddy, and if I continue to get a low tire warning when the tires have 32 psi, I will look into that. To me, that's not a low tire. 27 psi, okay. But 32 shouldn't be the trigger.

My car is going to the dealer in December for its 5,000 miles oil change, maybe I'll ask them to do it then. I'm not so good with the mechanical....
Old 10-27-06, 11:42 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

mariabee, what is the recommended pressure indicated on your door jamb? Mine says 35 front, 37 rear. I've been filling them to that (or maybe a pound higher), and I've only had the warning go off once -- when the pressure fell below 32. If your door jamb says 35/37 and you are only putting in 34, that might account for why they are so sensitive to temperature fluctuations.
Old 10-27-06, 12:01 PM
mariabee
Driver School Candidate

Bichon: I will check when I go out to my car. I was just going by what the service person at my dealer told me over the phone today. She said the IS normally should have 32 (and I thought she meant on all four) and that by "jacking it up" to 34, I would take care of the pressure light. Maybe she's just mixed up and it should actually be more.

Last edited by mariabee; 10-27-06 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Edited because I can see you have a 350! Silly me!
Old 10-27-06, 12:45 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by mariabee
Bichon: I will check when I go out to my car. I was just going by what the service person at my dealer told me over the phone today. She said the IS normally should have 32 (and I thought she meant on all four) and that by "jacking it up" to 34, I would take care of the pressure light. Maybe she's just mixed up and it should actually be more. Do you have an IS 250 AWD?
No, mine is an IS350 with the 18" wheels. I'm not certain whether yours is the same, which is why I suggested checking the sticker on the door jamb.

Quick Reply: Low Tire Warning