IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is Factory HID option worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-06, 12:04 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
if i had to do it all over again and the option was available for the factory HID set up ala carte' i would, the mtechs i got are ok but have spots and gaps in the lighting pattern, the OEM ones have a more even distribution IMO. but i dont drive alot at night so its not that big of a deal.......
i say get the HID's it is a good reselling point too.
I have the same experience with the xenon depot kit. A few light spot gaps along with the cut off being at different levels between the right and left side. I know it's part of the halogen setup to have it this way but really noticable with the HID's. Still very happy with the light output. I pulled up next to a new 07 IS on the freeway with factory hid's yesterday and light output and color on the road were virtually identical so I'm happy enough to have aftermarket for half the price
Old 10-28-06, 01:31 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DonJuan45i
if you really think about it, you are only paying $575-675 for the OEM headlights, since you are going to spend $200-300 already.

I am still farely new to lexus, but I am pretty sure that if you added an aftermarket HID kit later or even OEM to a car that was originally opted with halogen, you would get an annoying lights out indicator on your cluster that you will have to bypass, or reprogram to take it off.

^ Just want to correct above post.
Adding Xenon Depot HID kit to my halogen equiped 2IS *do not * get me any annoying lights-out indicator on the cluster. There was also no special process / wiring technique required to do any sort of by pass. Neither a special bypass circuit is built into the HID kit because such 'warning system' does not exist in our 2IS. .

DonJuan is partially right though on this topic.
On some cars, like the new MBenz SLK, you will need to "bypass" the system and fake the control module to think that the lights are *not* out. (Halogen and HID have different wattage, that's how it detect the current-draw differences). I am not going to go into detail on the method as it is not rellevant to this forum.

DonJuan is very right in terms of getting the HID option for the 2007 2IS; financially and logically it make sense. For the 2006 model, HID & AFS was bundled in premium package that cost $x,xxx. That package includes many more other options that some would find unecessary (i.e myself). Not many people want to shell out that amount just to get the HID.

On the 2007, it is a good bargain IMHO. Go for it.

Last edited by SugarRush; 10-28-06 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-28-06, 02:32 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

I would get it if I were you! Coz, even if you get the aftermarket one for cheaper, I don't think you will get the AFS feature! That's why there's about $300-400 difference from OEM to aftermarket.
Old 10-28-06, 07:37 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had MTECs on my old IS. It was really nice. A lot brighter than the OEM ones found on the 05 RX and 05 ES. I never compared it to an IS though.

The MTecs(4500K) were around $300 on ebay. Awesome color and bright. I ordered a new IS with the OEM HIDs though. I just dont want to deal with aftermarket hassles.

The aftermarket ones were a PITA to install properly.
Old 10-28-06, 08:22 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
I had MTECs on my old IS. It was really nice. A lot brighter than the OEM ones found on the 05 RX and 05 ES. I never compared it to an IS though.

The MTecs(4500K) were around $300 on ebay. Awesome color and bright. I ordered a new IS with the OEM HIDs though. I just dont want to deal with aftermarket hassles.

The aftermarket ones were a PITA to install properly.
OEMS are the way to go!

Why deal with aftermarket? Why go through the hassle? No aftermarket kit will EVER compare to the quality and the features.. not including warranty like the factory installed HID's.

Also... Factory installed HID's are Bi-Xenon.. Try getting that with a kit!
Old 10-28-06, 08:39 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you guys think the projectors are the same for both halogen and HID equipped IS?
Old 10-28-06, 10:19 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How long is the aftermarket HID bulb life?
Old 10-28-06, 10:27 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im happy with mine, but they are IMO nowhere as nice as the OEMs...........HIDS should last you a few thousand hours supposedly.
Old 10-28-06, 11:44 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow... lots of love for the OEM's in this thread, that's good to hear (or read... ) Personally, I love my XenonDepot kit, and wouldn't trade it for the OEM kit even if it was the same price. Since Lexus decided to go with a refractor housing that makes the light output look yellowish, my 6000k's are brighter and whiter than the OEM's, and the color is WAAAAY better than the stock output. I can't tell you how many of my friends (all of which have 2nd gen IS's with OEM HID's) drool all over my headlights whenever they see my car. The AFS and auto-leveling are great features, but not enough for me to pay the $2,000 that Lexus wanted on the '06 models. The 2007 models apparently are a different story.
Originally Posted by ba-b4
A few light spot gaps along with the cut off being at different levels between the right and left side. I know it's part of the halogen setup to have it this way but really noticable with the HID's. Still very happy with the light output. I pulled up next to a new 07 IS on the freeway with factory hid's yesterday and light output and color on the road were virtually identical so I'm happy enough to have aftermarket for half the price...
The light cutoff is supposed to be at different levels for the left and right sides. The left side should be a bit lower to avoid blinding oncoming traffic, while the right side shines higher, to help illuminate signs. As for "gaps" in the light pattern, I don't have any.

Javier
Old 10-29-06, 01:17 AM
fogtownjmc
Driver School Candidate

Absolutely get the factory HIDs - aftermarket HIDs are illegal because they lack the adaptive/auto leveling feature. BTW, I do not believe you will have a choice. When I got my 07 IS250 with NAV, the only options were the color combo.

Check out the Lighting Forum for the 411 about HIDs

Last edited by fogtownjmc; 10-29-06 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-29-06, 07:41 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Originally Posted by fogtownjmc
Absolutely get the factory HIDs - aftermarket HIDs are illegal because they lack the adaptive/auto leveling feature...
Actually, what makes aftermarket HID's illegal (besides the fact that they didn't come from the factory ) is the federal requirement for auto leveling, not AFS.

Javier
Old 10-29-06, 07:52 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

I did go with OE HID on all my cars. They last longer (I guess) with AFS, and I enjoy the light swiping evey time when I start up the engine.

Edit: My bad! I mean OE HID should last longer, and it comes with AFS. Sorry I misdirect people to think AFS makes OE HID to last longer. Still, I love the AFS swiping part more than any color issues of HID

Last edited by josephdoc; 10-29-06 at 08:23 PM. Reason: my bad..
Old 10-29-06, 09:25 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Guys, AFS stands for Adaptive Front lighting System. The system's function is to turn the lights slightly in the direction you turn the steering wheel. It has nothing to do with durability of the bulb or quality of light.

Javier
Old 10-29-06, 09:52 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The majority of gripes I hear about the OEM HIDs is the color. To me, they're fantastic, and light up the road perfectly. I don't need an artificial hue (e.g. blue) to impress people with my HIDs, I just want them to work well. From that standpoint, the OEM lights are great.

Incidentally, most of the blue HIDs you see don't light up the road as well as the OEM lights. There's a good reason Lexus chose the color temperature that's on the IS.
Old 10-29-06, 02:14 PM
ry729
Driver School Candidate

Default package required?

now do i need to have a luxury or sport package to get the AFS headlamps?

or can I just get the AFS headlamps for 800sumpin without any of these packages?

Quick Reply: Is Factory HID option worth it?