Is Factory HID option worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-06, 12:44 AM
akinaboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Factory HID option worth it?

Hi.
I'm planning to order a IS250 soon and I was wondering if it's worth the money to get the factory HID option for $800 something. Because I can add non-OEM hid kit for much less.
Do the HID headlights have self-leveling motors built in?
Old 10-28-06, 12:56 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

yes, and I think they might be adaptive as well, so they will turn in the direction the car is turning to light up the curve (not 100% sure tho). but if I had the money, I would get it.
Old 10-28-06, 01:15 AM
akinaboy
Driver School Candidate

Hmm... $200 - $300 for non OEM HID kit VS. $875 for OEM from Lexus...
Old 10-28-06, 01:19 AM
kenjimaru
Driver

According to my understanding, HID headlights w/AFS is a "forced add-on" for all 2007 models, which means you'll hardly find one without this option just like the 18" wheel add-on for the 2006.

Besides, $875 for Factory HID with AFS/auto-leveling headlight is hella of a deal IMO, if you don't like the way how the factory looks, you can always go with the D2R OEM upgrade that is due to release soon!
Old 10-28-06, 01:43 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

if you really think about it, you are only paying $575-675 for the OEM headlights, since you are going to spend $200-300 already.

I am still farely new to lexus, but I am pretty sure that if you added an aftermarket HID kit later or even OEM to a car that was originally opted with halogen, you would get an annoying lights out indicator on your cluster that you will have to bypass, or reprogram to take it off.

If you decided to go OEM later it would probably cost you around 800 just for some USED headlights over a thousand for new ones from the dealer, but you would still have the lights out indicator and you wouldnt have none of the autoleveling and AFS that your car would have came with stock. Unless you spend hundreds more on sensors, labor, and reprogramming to activate all that good stuff, then you are well into the 1000-2000's and then some.

BUT if all you are worried about is a lot of light on the road and dont really care if it moves anywhere. Just get an aftermarket kit (modded ballast would be sweet) Because when you think about it, almost 1000 bucks just for some headlights is kind of rediculi, even tho it really is a bargain.
Old 10-28-06, 01:45 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

200~300 will not get your a good HID kit..

xenondepot sells oem or oem quality stuff that cost around 450.
If you want to go cheap i know w palce by my house that does install for $190 with warranty. If you want to go that route then do so. I don't see the reason for cutting corners with my lexus. I didn't get this option because it wasn't offered as a single option for that price. If it was .. i would of added it. Why go through the hastle of installing aftermarket for save couple hundred bucks when you can good OEM quality from the dealer. If you're doing payments on your cost... and it's a 5 year... 875/60 = not that much...

I agree with kenjimaru.. it's a deal.. take it...
Old 10-28-06, 01:46 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kenjimaru
According to my understanding, HID headlights w/AFS is a "forced add-on" for all 2007 models, which means you'll hardly find one without this option just like the 18" wheel add-on for the 2006.

Besides, $875 for Factory HID with AFS/auto-leveling headlight is hella of a deal IMO, if you don't like the way how the factory looks, you can always go with the D2R OEM upgrade that is due to release soon!
whats this?!?!?! havent heard of it until your post, any details as to what the upgrade consists of? and when it releases?? Will this be applicable to all D2R applications like 98+ GS', and LS'????? even if not would like to hear details if you have a link or something. THANKS
Old 10-28-06, 01:51 AM
kenjimaru
Driver

Originally Posted by DonJuan45i
whats this?!?!?! havent heard of it until your post, any details as to what the upgrade consists of? and when it releases?? Will this be applicable to all D2R applications like 98+ GS', and LS'????? even if not would like to hear details if you have a link or something. THANKS

Details are unknown, but a couple members had made special orders from Harrison in Kansai Xenon Lighting in regards to the D2R bulbs for the 2IS, and according to what he had told me, we're still waiting!

I'll let you guys know when i hear more news
Old 10-28-06, 01:56 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

personally i would, and i did. my $0.02.
Old 10-28-06, 01:59 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you don't want auto-leveling or AFS, the OEM package is better since no HID kit will have those two features. Even retrofitting those features is a HUGE pain and not practical.
Old 10-28-06, 03:58 AM
jinetix
Pole Position

The factory HIDs are worth it in my opinion.. just for the auto leveling and AFS. The only gripe is the color temperature of the bulb.. seems like there are no aftermarket D4S bulbs with a higher kelvin rating of 4300.

The projectors aren't as nice as the ones in the LS430 though.. I was amazed at how much better (brighter and 180+ degrees of light) the HIDs were on my mom's 05 LS430.
Old 10-28-06, 08:18 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes that was the only regret I have! I am happy now that I installed the aftermarket one but isn't as good as the OEM one!! I wish that I could have it as a option when I buy my IS at that time... (there are only two model to select from in Macau, IS250 Select leather seats only and Delux full options)
Old 10-28-06, 08:45 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not impressed with the OE HID's. They suck compared to the BMW and Infinitys.

My Zenon Depot kit on the Silverado truck blows away the Lexus HIDs too...

I'd love to see some sort of upgrade option for more light out of the Lexus IS HID's.

And as far as the auto level and AFS....well......I drive to work at 420am and pretty much feel the AFS is worthless as well. Only the light on the turning side moves and it doesn't do what it needs to do, which is illuminate the corner.

I had a BMW X3 as a loaner car one day and the AFS on it was awesome.

Botom line is that my opinion of the Lexus HID's is " Nice try Lexus, but thanks for nothing."
Old 10-28-06, 09:55 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if i had to do it all over again and the option was available for the factory HID set up ala carte' i would, the mtechs i got are ok but have spots and gaps in the lighting pattern, the OEM ones have a more even distribution IMO. but i dont drive alot at night so its not that big of a deal.......
i say get the HID's it is a good reselling point too.
Old 10-28-06, 11:21 AM
SILes300
Driver

Akinaboy,

Are you the same akinaboy from Audizine.com?

To answer your question, I find it a worthwhile option. Better lighting than my A4 with the oem xenon setup.

Quick Reply: Is Factory HID option worth it?