IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

OEM HID Color alternative Upgrade option

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-06, 01:43 AM
kenjimaru
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM HID Color alternative Upgrade option

Went to Kansai Xenon Service to work on another is250 with Harrison and was introduced to this product called the HID Quartz Tube Upgrade.

We ran a couple test to see how the factory HID had turned out to be after the installation, and the end result is pretty satisfying: See the pix for yourself: Right being the Upgrade and the ones on the left represents the Factory HID

The color is close to the 6000k aftermarket HIDs. I think this is a great upgrade for anyone who cannot wait for the D2R OEM HID bulb upgrade. For a fraction of the cost, you'll be able to get the 6000k appearance.

Last edited by kenjimaru; 10-28-06 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-28-06, 02:01 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

how much do the quartz tubes run?? how is installation, is it DIYable, looks like they are just sleeves that slide over the glass part of the bulbs. Would be neat to see how blue these things get on my original 98' D2R bulbs which are way passed color shift.

quick question I just came up with, I plan to get new D2R bulbs to replace mine, because even tho they have a nice blue/purple hue to them, they dont really light up the road as much as the should.

so here is my question: When I get new bulbs, will I have more of a white color or do D2R bulbs come with a bluish hint to them all the time????,because it seem that all cars that I see, and know they are HID D2R (like some acura's and lexus') they are always blue and seem colorshifted.

Reason why I ask, is because on my bimmer, when I bought new phillips D2S bulbs, the color was really white, almost yellow (very bright I may add tho). But since I had projectors wasnt no big deal because of the flicker. But with Reflector applications that D2R uses, the white/yellow would be kind of disappointing without the flicker.
Old 10-28-06, 02:06 AM
johung
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting. Looks okay
Old 10-28-06, 02:15 AM
kenjimaru
Driver

Originally Posted by DonJuan45i
how much do the quartz tubes run?? how is installation, is it DIYable, looks like they are just sleeves that slide over the glass part of the bulbs. Would be neat to see how blue these things get on my original 98' D2R bulbs which are way passed color shift.

quick question I just came up with, I plan to get new D2R bulbs to replace mine, because even tho they have a nice blue/purple hue to them, they dont really light up the road as much as the should.

so here is my question: When I get new bulbs, will I have more of a white color or do D2R bulbs come with a bluish hint to them all the time????,because it seem that all cars that I see, and know they are HID D2R (like some acura's and lexus') they are always blue and seem colorshifted.

Reason why I ask, is because on my bimmer, when I bought new phillips D2S bulbs, the color was really white, almost yellow (very bright I may add tho). But since I had projectors wasnt no big deal because of the flicker. But with Reflector applications that D2R uses, the white/yellow would be kind of disappointing without the flicker.
1.) I'll have to inquire on the price, or you can just givel Harrison a call IN THE AFTERNOON and inquire about the product! 626-780-9908

2.) Based on my discussion with Pocky and Harrison, the D2R bulb will make the stock look "whiter" instead of preserving a little bit of the "yellowish" look.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-28-06, 02:25 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

hey thanks maybe ill give em a call tomorrow. Thanks again for the replies.
Old 10-28-06, 04:00 AM
jinetix
Pole Position

Sansei has those on his GS. They caused one of the bulbs to burn out once and slightly lowered the brightness. It's purely for looks.. matches well with his 10K HID foglights. Might need to grab a pair to get my headlights to match w/ my fogs.

You use the springs included to attach the tubes onto the bar on the bulb.
Old 10-28-06, 04:53 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, the Lexus OEM HIDs are not D2R nor D2S, they are D4S which is a new Mercury-free bulb that is not as widely available in other K color temperatures as the D2S/R are.
Old 10-28-06, 08:23 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

cheap options just wanna to know would it heat up the temp of the bulb itself!? If so you will need to be careful?
Old 10-28-06, 09:46 AM
kenjimaru
Driver

sorry, D4S without mercury, my bad! thanks Alex
Old 10-28-06, 11:18 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

No problem Kenji! So what's the price on those bulb covers?
Old 10-28-06, 11:29 AM
kenjimaru
Driver

wasn't able to go over to Kansai last night, will let you guys know as soon as I found out!
Old 10-28-06, 05:15 PM
kenjimaru
Driver

Guys,

$85 bucks for the quartz bulb cover upgrade. Let Harrison know!
Old 10-28-06, 06:01 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kenjimaru
Went to Kansai Xenon Service to work on another is250 with Harrison and was introduced to this product called the HID Quartz Tube Upgrade.

We ran a couple test to see how the factory HID had turned out to be after the installation, and the end result is pretty satisfying: See the pix for yourself: Right being the Upgrade and the ones on the left represents the Factory HID

The color is close to the 6000k aftermarket HIDs. I think this is a great upgrade for anyone who cannot wait for the D2R OEM HID bulb upgrade. For a fraction of the cost, you'll be able to get the 6000k appearance.

Beam shots? I am sure the intensity is not quite there.

Also, OEM is D4S... S for sealed enclosure... (Projector). R for reflector.
Old 10-28-06, 06:13 PM
kenjimaru
Driver

Originally Posted by istundra
Beam shots? I am sure the intensity is not quite there.

Also, OEM is D4S... S for sealed enclosure... (Projector). R for reflector.
yeah, corrected that, sorry, my bad!
Old 11-09-06, 02:29 PM
kenjimaru
Driver

i've heard that a couple members got the housing from Harrison, what do you guys think so far?

Btw, any socal people around the san gabriel area up for a mini meet next week at Harrison's next week? Ray, Donny and I will be there! Let me see some hands!

Quick Reply: OEM HID Color alternative Upgrade option