IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

lol huge snow fall

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-06, 11:29 AM
shox
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by josephdoc
You needs a Subaru as a winter car in Canada. 2IS with 18 won't work in snow, and the salt is really bad for chrome trims around the body. Watch out!
Salt isn't used on roads in Calgary so it wouldn't make a difference. Else where I don't know, but no salt in Calgary for those in the area. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Old 10-29-06, 11:52 AM
markyboy
Rookie

Default Winter tires

Any suggestions on where to go for winter tires in Calgary?
Old 10-29-06, 12:14 PM
skyak
Driver School Candidate

I live in Red Deer, Alberta. We had the same snow fall. I drove my GS400 around town today. I have new Yokohama Advan S4's (UHP All Season). I was pretty impressed with the handling when I put the ECU in SNOW mode and let the traction control / VSC do its thing.

If you want to have 'real control' in snow and ice with rear wheel drive then a winter tire is the only way to go. There are quite a few V rated winters available (Pirelli 240 Snowsport, Michelin Pilot Alpin or Nokia WR would all be good).

Personally I like a little bit of a challenge so I'm gonna rip it up with my Yokos. I think I will be ok except for steep hills...
Old 10-29-06, 12:23 PM
skyak
Driver School Candidate

if you have 18" wheels then you can get the nokian WR's in W rating (Kal Tire can order them)

235/50R18 101 W XL
Old 10-29-06, 12:51 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been asking about snow and the IS 350 for a while now on this forum. This is now scaring me. However, after talking to quite a few people with various types of rear wheel drive cars, they all say the same thing. Summer tires are no use in the snow, you won't be able to get up even a small incline. However, with snows, all should be fine. I have been told that compared with all seasons on FWD, snows on RWD will be as good and stop better. Does anyone agree?
Old 10-29-06, 01:50 PM
Jatt
Driver

Guess I will go down to lexus and price out some winter tires.
Dont, even the guys at the dealership themselves told me its a rip off, go to KalTire.

I dunno, I know a guy here who drives his Porsche 911 in the winter, and he doesn't have any probs for the most part.

if you have 18" wheels then you can get the nokian WR's in W rating (Kal Tire can order them)
EXACTLY what I'm getting, those are the best choice to go with for the IS350.

Last edited by Jatt; 10-29-06 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-29-06, 02:18 PM
markyboy
Rookie

Originally Posted by skyak

235/50R18 101 W XL
I am not positive but I think my tires are 225/40r18 on the front and 255/40r18 on the rear

My question now is don't I have to put the same size tire back on?
I know some people said that smaller tires on the rear are better.
Old 10-29-06, 02:24 PM
Jatt
Driver

Hi Mark,

Thats weird, all tires on my IS are the same size...I am not sure but the guys at KalTire said its usually best if all tires are the same size...
Old 10-29-06, 02:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

under 7c, summer tires lose most of their traction. Stopping distances from 100kmh to 0, go up by 10-15 meters at 7C!!! Imagine how bad it is with lower temps.

This is true for all cars, not only RWD. So you apsolutly have to have winter tires, especially with RWD cars where loss of traction is an problem.

IS350 with proper winter tires will do pretty damn good in snow, because VDIM is pretty awesome.
Old 10-29-06, 03:26 PM
markyboy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jatt
Hi Mark,

Thats weird, all tires on my IS are the same size...I am not sure but the guys at KalTire said its usually best if all tires are the same size...
I don't think any IS comes with the same size tires on the front and back.

Lexus website:
225/45VR17 all-season tires front, 245/45VR17 all-season tires rear [10]
225/40YR18 summer tires front, 255/40YR18 summer tires rear [11]

I have 18 inch rims and I am wondering what is the best size winter tires I can fit on the OEM 18 Lexus rims? (Narrower in the back?)
Old 10-29-06, 03:26 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markyboy
Good article, thanks.

If there was an AWD 350 I would definately have got it!

My wife just told me "you are too power hungry... you should have got the 250 AWD"
Guess I will go down to lexus and price out some winter tires.

Any comments on studded tires? Seems to me that they would provide the best grip on the ice. Advantages vs Disadvantages? I know nothing at this point.
Check your local laws for any restrictions on studded tires. In the US, I believe that some states don't allow studded tires, or at least limit the time of year that you can have them on your car. Traction should be greatly improved, but too much driving on dry roads will probably wear down the studs.

If you go for the regular snows, let us know. I know someone who put Blizzaks on their rear wheel drive car (not an IS) and claimed a dramatic improvement. I have IS250 AWD and I'm hoping that the existing tires will suffice. I have to believe that a different set of tires will help you, though. Good luck.
Old 10-29-06, 03:47 PM
skyak
Driver School Candidate

the pirelli 240 snowsports are available in 225/40/18 and 255/40/18 if you want to keep the stock dimensions (for odometer consistency etc). here is the link:

they are a sweet winter tire.

http://www.ca.pirelli.com/en_CA/tyre...productid=4492

check tiretrends for canadian pricing:

http://www.tiretrends.com/catalog2.php3?tireID=345
Old 10-29-06, 04:25 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
Check your local laws for any restrictions on studded tires. In the US, I believe that some states don't allow studded tires, or at least limit the time of year that you can have them on your car. Traction should be greatly improved, but too much driving on dry roads will probably wear down the studs.

If you go for the regular snows, let us know. I know someone who put Blizzaks on their rear wheel drive car (not an IS) and claimed a dramatic improvement. I have IS250 AWD and I'm hoping that the existing tires will suffice. I have to believe that a different set of tires will help you, though. Good luck.

I will be getting my IS 350 on the 10 th of November and it will be delivered with the 17" OEM wheels and the Blizzak REVO 1's on the car. I will be able to report on their snow/cold weather performance once it snows here after that. I am getting the snow package from the dealership despite the fact that it is overpriced because it is convenient. I know I could have got something much less expensive elsewhere.
Old 10-29-06, 04:28 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jatt
I dunno, I know a guy here who drives his Porsche 911 in the winter, and he doesn't have any probs for the most part.
That's an all wheel drive car buddie! A bad *** one at that!!

Has anyone put snow cables on their IS? I dont think it's practical for daily driving...just wondering about making it to the local mtns this winter for some snowboarding.
Old 10-29-06, 07:08 PM
The Chad
Driver

I don't believe that snow chains or cables are recommended for most cars anymore, especially your Lexus.

If you're going snowboarding, take a different car or buy snows / all seasons for the event.

Quick Reply: lol huge snow fall