IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

lol huge snow fall

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-06, 09:11 PM
SASK250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
If you go for the regular snows, let us know. I know someone who put Blizzaks on their rear wheel drive car (not an IS) and claimed a dramatic improvement. I have IS250 AWD and I'm hoping that the existing tires will suffice. I have to believe that a different set of tires will help you, though. Good luck.
My friend is a salesman at the local lexus dealership and he drove the 250 AWD in snow and indicate that the stock all-seasons would be fine for winter driving. I'm not planning on getting a dedicated set of winter tires unless I don't feel comfortable with the current ones (Dunlop all-seasons).
Old 10-30-06, 08:24 AM
CarDudeRI
Rookie

This is so funny for me to read. I live in new england, and wanted the 350 so damn bad, but I knew it would be a nightmare to drive in the winter, and I personally couldn't afford to pay for the lexus and also have a winter car, so I bought the 250AWD. It's awesome in the snow, and the rain for that matter. What doesn't make sense to me though is why they just didn't have the 350 be AWD as an option instead of the 250. The GS 350 comes AWD... and I think that most people who purchased the IS 250AWD out of necessity like me because of where they live would have purchased the 350AWD if it were a available. Sure, i'm jealous when i see a 350 on the road in the spring/summer... i'll be the first to admit that. But, i couldn't be happier when i'm cruising in the snow and it feels like i'm on dry pavement, while i'm watching other people struggle to keep their RWD car on the road.
Old 10-30-06, 10:38 AM
SASK250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CarDudeRI
This is so funny for me to read. I live in new england, and wanted the 350 so damn bad, but I knew it would be a nightmare to drive in the winter, and I personally couldn't afford to pay for the lexus and also have a winter car, so I bought the 250AWD. It's awesome in the snow, and the rain for that matter. What doesn't make sense to me though is why they just didn't have the 350 be AWD as an option instead of the 250. The GS 350 comes AWD... and I think that most people who purchased the IS 250AWD out of necessity like me because of where they live would have purchased the 350AWD if it were a available. Sure, i'm jealous when i see a 350 on the road in the spring/summer... i'll be the first to admit that. But, i couldn't be happier when i'm cruising in the snow and it feels like i'm on dry pavement, while i'm watching other people struggle to keep their RWD car on the road.
Do you have winters on or the all-seasons?
Old 10-30-06, 11:31 AM
shox
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CarDudeRI
On the same boat as you, glad I have AWD for year round, wished there was a 350AWD and jealous when I see 350 in summer. But, nonetheless, still have an awesome car!
Old 10-30-06, 11:32 AM
markyboy
Rookie

Default What a relief! Home in one piece.

-7C outside
Finally got my car home. The sun is out enough to melt some of the snow and I was able to get it home....barely.
Those dunlop tires have got to be the worst tires in the snow ever. Even on the flat ground they slide all over. Going down a hill on snow... well lets just say I don't recomend it.

The tires feel like they are made out of smooth plastic.

Bottom line do not drive the IS350 in the snow with the Dunlop tires on!!!!!!!!!!!!
Listen now or you will regret it.
My car is staying in the garage until the snow melts or I get my winter tires on.
Old 10-30-06, 11:44 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by markyboy
Bottom line do not drive the IS350 in the snow with the Dunlop tires on!!!!!!!!!!!!
Listen now or you will regret it.
My car is staying in the garage until the snow melts or I get my winter tires on.
This applies to any high performance summer tire, not just to the Dunlops. These tires have no sipes, and a rubber compound that was not designed for cold weather or ice. I've been hanging out on various car forums for a long time, and every year I read at least a couple of stories of people who have crashed into curbs (or worse) by foolishly venturing out in the snow on performance summer rubber. Don't do it!
Old 10-30-06, 12:37 PM
markyboy
Rookie

Getting Pirelli 240 tires on wednesday.
If there is any snow left I will give a review on how they do in the snow.
Hope I got a good tire, they are a bit $$$$.

Anyone have experience with these tires? Something tells me I read a post on these... I will have to check.
Old 10-30-06, 12:44 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by markyboy
Anyone have experience with these tires? Something tells me I read a post on these... I will have to check.
Cut and paste from a previous post I made. I bought 18" Pirelli SnowSport 240s last year. We didn't get too much snow, but here are my impressions from the three storms we did have:

The first storm, which was a snow over freezing rain event, the tires were marginal. Unless I really slowed down, I'd get oversteer (and the bleep-bleep-bleep of VDIM) any time I went around a corner. I consciously avoided hills, because I don't think the car would have successfully climbed a steep grade. The next two storms, which were just snow (with plows and salting trucks doing their thing), I had no trouble at all.
Old 10-30-06, 01:03 PM
CarDudeRI
Rookie

Originally Posted by SASK250
Do you have winters on or the all-seasons?
I have all seasons.
Old 10-30-06, 01:13 PM
markyboy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bichon
The first storm, which was a snow over freezing rain event, the tires were marginal. Unless I really slowed down, I'd get oversteer (and the bleep-bleep-bleep of VDIM) any time I went around a corner.
I live in an area with a few hills. All I want to do is make it up so I can get in the garage. I am a little nervous that whatever tires I choose I will not get up those hills.
I got a couple of 40lbs dumbells at home. Do you think that the extra 80lbs would make a difference? I don't want to add too much weight to the trunk.

I will be screwed if the new tires and the 80lbs don't do the trick.....