IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Do you Ever Roll Your Window Down?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-06, 07:18 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you Ever Roll Your Window Down?

I have had my car for over a month and the only time I have rolled my windows down is when I arrive to work to show my badge to get on site.

Other than that the windows stay up, and if I open the sun roof it is just a creak.

I don't want the interior cloth on the panels to get dirty! But, I sure miss driving with the windows down on a cool morning. In my old car the panels were plastic all the way up so I could just wipe it clean.
Old 11-01-06, 07:25 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
I have had my car for over a month and the only time I have rolled my windows down is when I arrive to work to show my badge to get on site.

Other than that the windows stay up, and if I open the sun roof it is just a creak.

I don't want the interior cloth on the panels to get dirty! But, I sure miss driving with the windows down on a cool morning. In my old car the panels were plastic all the way up so I could just wipe it clean.

You're really missing out man...driving with the windows down is feels great. nothing like cool air rushing in. makes me tingly, I think i need to take my lunch break now and go for a ride.
Old 11-01-06, 07:32 AM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

never really roll them down at all..probably why my car still has the new car smell after 9 mths.
Old 11-01-06, 07:37 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 244 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. The cloth is much more likely to get dirty from touching it than from opening the windows.

I find that the biggest interior cleaning chore is the top of the dash. The black plastic shows every speck of dust, and with all the towels I use to protect the seats when transporting the little fellow on my avatar, there is no shortage of dust.
Old 11-01-06, 07:51 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by supaIS350
never really roll them down at all..probably why my car still has the new car smell after 9 mths.
Ohh you are so right. LOL I think I'll wait till the new car smell is gone.
Old 11-01-06, 08:07 AM
RO87
Driver

I roll them down everytime I get a chance. If its not too cold or too hot, then I'm all for it, but I am careful where I roll them down because out here in AZ theres a lot of dust and I dont want that getting in my car. My opinion on the matter is that you should enjoy your car, I sure am.
Old 11-01-06, 08:29 AM
ano0oj
Pole Position

Weather in Houston has been GREAT lately...I never miss a chance to roll them down...plus, helps with the mileage
Old 11-01-06, 08:39 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ano0oj
Weather in Houston has been GREAT lately...I never miss a chance to roll them down...plus, helps with the mileage

You really think you get better gas mileage from rolling down your windows?

And IS_MINE...please please please ENJOY your car. If that means trying to keep the new car smell in as long as possible, then do it, but if you like a breeze, roll em down!! I roll down my windows whenever I am going slow enough to not have 100mph winds blowing in my face.
Old 11-01-06, 08:42 AM
ano0oj
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SilverLexo
You really think you get better gas mileage from rolling down your windows?

I would suppose so knowing that the a/c uses gas right?
or was I just being stupid and words were flowing out of my mouth?
Old 11-01-06, 08:58 AM
mofogasm
Pole Position

the drag that occurs because the windows are down pretty much negate any increase you have for not having the AC on.
Old 11-01-06, 08:58 AM
lexuspdx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ano0oj
I saw on a news show last year that it's better to cool your car off with the windows down up to 45 miles per hour. Above 45 and on the freeway, keep them up and the AC on is more effecient.

In this case it doesn't matter... IS_Mine, enjoy life, enjoy your car. Roll down the window, get some fresh air and feel good. Your dash will not melt away. So what if it gets a little dusty... then feel good again after you clean it. The result is 2 goods!

CARPE DIEM ALL CL MEMBERS!!!
Old 11-01-06, 09:46 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

I agree with anoOoj, the weather in Houston has been great!

I spent all of last weekend with the a/c off, all of the windows down and the moonroof open. I live in the Clear Lake area and man what a blast driving around the lake and the bay like that. If the weather cooperates, I'll do it again this weekend too.

Yeah, I did get the inside a little dusty BUT nothing that will be hard to clean. A quick wipe with a microfiber cloth and it will be good as new.

I'd say unless you are keeping the car as a show piece, if you enjoy having the windows down... go for it!
Old 11-01-06, 10:00 AM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

I live in California so all windows must be down to enjoy the beautiful weather here.
Old 11-01-06, 10:21 AM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's nothing like cruising around on a nice cool evening with the windows down. I've had my car for almost a year now and it still has that new car smell (maybe it's leather conditionor).
Old 11-01-06, 11:10 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

windows up, but i'll run the vent once in a while just to get some fresh air circulation. personally i like the new car smell. reminds me of the first time i brought my baby home...

Quick Reply: Do you Ever Roll Your Window Down?