IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tint Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-06 | 05:06 PM
isgrrl
Driver

Originally Posted by totalstu
Good stuff. I may be asking where you got it done. I'm thinking of foregoing the free tint job they included, sucking it up, and paying to get it done professionally. I know I could get the dealer to redo the tint but at this point I don't really trust the guy to do it any better. I've begun to see bubbles on the other windows, except the rear window. This seems to have started after I lowered the windows yesterday (12 days after delivery) for the first time.
I was thinking of actually paying somewhere else also, they wouldn't go as dark as I wanted and now that I see that spot on my little window it really bugs me
Old 11-02-06 | 05:13 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Originally Posted by isgrrl
I was thinking of actually paying somewhere else also, they wouldn't go as dark as I wanted and now that I see that spot on my little window it really bugs me
That's odd that they turned you away. Usually if you do dark(on the front I assume) they just make you sign a waiver, that's what I did. Maybe AZ has stricter laws on tint although I wouldn't think so since summers are a *****.
Old 11-02-06 | 05:18 PM
isgrrl
Driver

Originally Posted by Julez
That's odd that they turned you away. Usually if you do dark(on the front I assume) they just make you sign a waiver, that's what I did. Maybe AZ has stricter laws on tint although I wouldn't think so since summers are a *****.
I think it was just who I was working with, they were really sidetracked and didn't pay much attention that I was even there. They didn't even ask me what kind of tint I wanted before they pushed me off into the lounge waiting area. I had to ask to even see what they had available. It's like they thought I was bringing in daddy's car who had already chosen
Old 11-05-06 | 05:25 AM
totalstu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by r1lee
I'm having my car tinted this saturday (also in Canada, Toronto) and I will let you know if i come across the same issue (shrinkage). But I really doubt it, where I'm taking it too they laser cut the tint. Not that it really says much... if machine cut is better then human.
So how did the tinting go? Did they fully cover those two small windows? If so, and you are happy with the work can I ask where you took it?

Thanks
Old 11-07-06 | 05:09 PM
r1lee
Intermediate

So how did the tinting go? Did they fully cover those two small windows? If so, and you are happy with the work can I ask where you took it?

Thanks
Hey dude, i saw you left me a PM but I'm going to reply here.

The tinting went great, i went to FXauto on heritage rd. (close to Markville mall) if you are in the Toronto/GTA area. I don't have the same problem as you. I went with a Ceramic based tint, and it was machined cut. Also went with 35% all around.

I was talking to the guy, and they told me they do all of the Toyota/Lexus dealerships within the area. Hope that helps.
Old 11-07-06 | 05:36 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Thanks for the reply.

I spoke to the tint guy who did my car. I believe he works for the DVN group. They are ripping it all out and redoing it. Not sure I trust him/them. This should be interesting.

Can I ask what you paid?

Thanks
Old 11-07-06 | 06:11 PM
r1lee
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply.

I spoke to the tint guy who did my car. I believe he works for the DVN group. They are ripping it all out and redoing it. Not sure I trust him/them. This should be interesting.

Can I ask what you paid?

Thanks
$300 + tax.

They had the following tints.

Classic - Normal Dye
Comfort - Some metalized.
Premium - more metalized... or fully metalized.
Pinnacle - Ceramic, word is that this tint does not intefere with the Nav and radio frequencies in cars (FM/AM antenna). So that was what i went with.

How bout yourself?

Hey Question, does your Navigation lag behind? On a normal screen without setting in a destination. When you drive down the highway, does it seem like when you go under a bridge, the arrow on the Map follows you maybe a few feet behind? In my situation I pass the bridge, then i see the marker going through it.
Old 11-08-06 | 04:39 AM
totalstu
Pole Position

$300 + tax.

They had the following tints.

Classic - Normal Dye
Comfort - Some metalized.
Premium - more metalized... or fully metalized.
Pinnacle - Ceramic, word is that this tint does not intefere with the Nav and radio frequencies in cars (FM/AM antenna). So that was what i went with.

How bout yourself?

Hey Question, does your Navigation lag behind? On a normal screen without setting in a destination. When you drive down the highway, does it seem like when you go under a bridge, the arrow on the Map follows you maybe a few feet behind? In my situation I pass the bridge, then i see the marker going through it.
As for the tint, I'm not sure what kind they used. Since the dealer threw it in on the deal to purchase I suspect it to be the cheapest kind. Other than the quarter window issue and now the bubbles the tint looked good. I'm hoping it looks good after the redo.

For the NAV, I never really noticed. It's my first experience with NAV. I have it set to split screen. 400m on the left, 50m on the right. I do little, if any, highway driving during the week. I'm guessing the NAV isn't perfect but it sure is fun.
Old 11-08-06 | 07:08 AM
r1lee
Intermediate

As for the tint, I'm not sure what kind they used. Since the dealer threw it in on the deal to purchase I suspect it to be the cheapest kind. Other than the quarter window issue and now the bubbles the tint looked good. I'm hoping it looks good after the redo.

For the NAV, I never really noticed. It's my first experience with NAV. I have it set to split screen. 400m on the left, 50m on the right. I do little, if any, highway driving during the week. I'm guessing the NAV isn't perfect but it sure is fun.
If you can, check it out for me. I have portable Nav's that do this, but the one built into this car shouldn't. My buddy's TSX and my father in law's car is spot on.

Thanks, greatly appreciative.
Old 11-08-06 | 02:58 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

If you can, check it out for me. I have portable Nav's that do this, but the one built into this car shouldn't. My buddy's TSX and my father in law's car is spot on.

Thanks, greatly appreciative.
Ok, I tried to watch the arrow as I drove. Almost got in an accident Anyways, there was only one bridge I travelled under. The arrow may be a bit behind. It was kind of hard to tell. On the way home I noticed that when I was stopped at a red light at an intersection the arrow was not on the line (cross street) but rather a bit behind it. As I accelerated into and/or though the intersection the arrow would cross the line.

Hope that helps. Probably didn't though. I'll check it again tomorrow. I pass under a bridge on Jane Street to get to work.
Old 11-29-06 | 09:16 AM
totalstu
Pole Position

So I had the dealer redo the tint. Well, most of the tint. For whatever reason the rear window was not redone. There are still a few tiny bubbles. Anyways, the quarter windows on the rear doors are better now but still not perfect. The dealer said at this point there is not much else he could do other than rip all the tint out and refund my money, but since it was built into the purchase price he couldn't do the refund but offered a service credit instead. I'm a year away from the first service which costs money.

I'm not to sure what I will do. It's going to be a PITA to take it back there for the guy to rip it out, and then go and have it done properly. Time, money, and gas to drive there for the ripping out. I might try to get a partial service credit and leave the tint on for a while. Get it redone professionally in the spring.
Old 11-29-06 | 09:05 PM
r1lee
Intermediate

Dude, you want me to take a picture of mine and post it? or if you are in the area, we can meet up and you can take a look at my tint. I don't seem to have any problems with it.. and it's gap isn't as bad as your original pic.
Old 11-30-06 | 04:23 AM
totalstu
Pole Position

Dude, you want me to take a picture of mine and post it? or if you are in the area, we can meet up and you can take a look at my tint. I don't seem to have any problems with it.. and it's gap isn't as bad as your original pic.

A picture is not really necessary but if you want to post..........

As for the gap, it is a lot better than it was. It's actually pretty close. Funny how the guy originally said his first attempt was as good as it was going to be. What's really irking me is that he didn't even attempt to repair the back window. There are some tiny bubbles on different parts of the window. It's not noticable until you get up really close to the window.
Old 11-30-06 | 08:52 AM
totalstu
Pole Position

Ok, last post on this subject.

I just got off the phone with the sales manager. He is giving me a $150 service credit and leaving the tint on the car. I can do with it what I want. I'll leave it as is over the winter and revist this in the spring.
Old 11-30-06 | 10:49 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

You sir, have a crappy tint installer.

Quick Reply: Tint Question