IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tint Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-06, 05:18 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tint Question

I've attached a picture to help illustrate what I'm asking about. It's not my car but it's a good picture. If you look at the little side window you'd almost think it's missing tint. Hopefully you can tell what I'm talking about. Its where the windows starts beneath the chrome and rubber. Is this normal? I had a discussion with my tint guy and he says that on the outside it's window but on the inside it's up inside the rubber and he can't get the tint in their properly without it looking bad.

I don't want to argue with him if he is correct and that is the best that can be done.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Tint Question-alt_sidetint2.jpg  

Last edited by totalstu; 11-01-06 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-01-06, 05:22 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

huh, all cars I have ever had, installers have no prob. with the little windows, all other windows look good tho, so I dont know. I think you are the first to have/bring up this issue. Sorry i cant really help, but any more IS owners tune in?
Old 11-01-06, 05:26 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DonJuan45i
huh, all cars I have ever had, installers have no prob. with the little windows, all other windows look good tho, so I dont know. I think you are the first to have/bring up this issue. Sorry i cant really help, but any more IS owners tune in?
That's what I thought but then I saw the picture I posted. That car has it as well. You do see what I'm talking about don't you?
Old 11-01-06, 05:26 PM
isgrrl
Driver

i never really noticed that before, but now that I look at one of my photos it looks like I might have something similar, but my tint isn't as dark as yours
Old 11-01-06, 05:29 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by totalstu
That's what I thought but then I saw the picture I posted. That car has it as well. You do see what I'm talking about don't you?
yea I see it, and being the **** person that i am, that would bug the ish* out of me. looking at isgrrl's car it looks like your tint guy might be right, or at least isnt the only one.
Old 11-01-06, 05:30 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

I see it on your as well. The pic I posted is the best one I found, albeit not searching endlessly, that illustrates what I'm talking about. Maybe that is the way it is. The rest of my car is fine. He did a good job.
Old 11-01-06, 05:32 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DonJuan45i
yea I see it, and being the **** person that i am, that would bug the ish* out of me. looking at isgrrl's car it looks like your tint guy might be right, or at least isnt the only one.
It is bugging the **** out of me. I'm not reall happy. He gave me his explanation and looking at the few pics I've seen he may be right.
Old 11-01-06, 05:36 PM
isgrrl
Driver

Originally Posted by totalstu
It is bugging the **** out of me. I'm not reall happy. He gave me his explanation and looking at the few pics I've seen he may be right.
it's very possible, I got my tint done at my lexus dealer too :\
Old 11-01-06, 05:45 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by isgrrl
it's very possible, I got my tint done at my lexus dealer too :\
Mine was also done by the dealer. I met the installer tonight to go over my concern. He gave me his explanation and tried to show me there is not room to get the film up in there. The tint seems to cover all of the actual window. It just looks bad
Old 11-01-06, 09:06 PM
gizbx4
Pole Position

looks like they just cut the film too short. mine goes all the way up. seems like hes makeing an excuse so he doesnt have to redo the whole little window.
Old 11-01-06, 09:40 PM
VitB6
Pole Position

Mine goes all the way up too. Took mine to an authorized Huper Optik tint shop. Mine looks great except that the bubbles on the front windows are taking longer to disappear. Been like 2 months. They are moving towards the top so it is just real real slow. All other windows look great. I would tell them to redo it.
Old 11-01-06, 09:46 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah looks like the tint installer might have underestimated the size of the window or undercut it. Could the Canadian cold have caused any shrinkage?
Old 11-02-06, 05:32 AM
totalstu
Pole Position

Not sure why. I guess my only recourse is to take it somewhere else and get those two small windows redone. Argh!
Old 11-02-06, 07:45 AM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm having my car tinted this saturday (also in Canada, Toronto) and I will let you know if i come across the same issue (shrinkage). But I really doubt it, where I'm taking it too they laser cut the tint. Not that it really says much... if machine cut is better then human.
Old 11-02-06, 04:53 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by r1lee
I'm having my car tinted this saturday (also in Canada, Toronto) and I will let you know if i come across the same issue (shrinkage). But I really doubt it, where I'm taking it too they laser cut the tint. Not that it really says much... if machine cut is better then human.
Good stuff. I may be asking where you got it done. I'm thinking of foregoing the free tint job they included, sucking it up, and paying to get it done professionally. I know I could get the dealer to redo the tint but at this point I don't really trust the guy to do it any better. I've begun to see bubbles on the other windows, except the rear window. This seems to have started after I lowered the windows yesterday (12 days after delivery) for the first time.

Quick Reply: Tint Question