IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Thinking about IS350 - Thoughts from owners?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-06, 07:28 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jjohur
IS350 has a fantastic engine but the interior fit-and-trim sucks really bad. The rattles are coming from every orifice imaginable. I had less rattles with my Pontiac and Ford.
zero rattles on my car, i even try to hear for something when the ML is off
Old 11-02-06, 08:49 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i have no interior noise issues either..
Old 11-02-06, 09:13 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All good opinions. Thanks guys. I'm just so torn. My LS is so sweet, as its so quiet and it runs very well. But its definitely dated and not as "bling blingy" as the new Lexus' The S2000 is such a fun car too, but I think my preferences are changing and I want a car that is bit less "raw"

I think I'll just end up keeping both cars for now, as Carmax low balled the crap out of my S(wanted to get a baseline value). But I'll be keeping my eyes peeled as some of you folks start selling them for other cars... Used ones are starting to hit the market, slowly.....

Really I can't complain with the setup I have now. but damn the IS350 is sweet. Test drove one today. Also was considering an M3 Vert, but the M3 just didn't have a great interior and the shifter sucks.
Old 11-03-06, 06:02 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IS350 has a fantastic engine but the interior fit-and-trim sucks really bad. The rattles are coming from every orifice imaginable. I had less rattles with my Pontiac and Ford.
WOW, This is the first post like this I've seen. My IS is put together like a tank, super solid and quite and it has over 6K miles on it now.

One of the things that sold me on the car was the quality of the interior finishes and the extreme fit. It just screams luxury.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues though.
Old 11-03-06, 08:22 AM
jjohur
Driver School Candidate

Here's a technical service bulletin for the IS350 rattles. I have rattles coming from the front dash/nav area, center console, even the doors rattle.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Lexus/115...3-06/3061.html
Old 11-03-06, 09:56 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

There are a bunch of ex S2000 folks here.

I had mine for 6 years and it was a blast.

After changing jobs and commuting some in traffic I was all too happy to send the Honda to a good new home.

The Lexus is sporty enough and super comfy and has a ton of toys.

The trade offs are well known, no vert, no snicky clutch included shifting, less connected steering and handling but the overall package the Lexus provides made it easy to change and after a year with the car I have no second thoughts (well maybe on a sunny summer day).

Get this, when I had the Lexus inspected today, the guy didn't even ask me to step on the brakes or use the turn signals (either he was lazy or it was a sign of respect from a foreign car mechanic).
Old 11-03-06, 01:12 PM
Fleainat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tcho82
.....Carmax low balled the crap out of my S(wanted to get a baseline value).....

Really I can't complain with the setup I have now. but damn the IS350 is sweet. Test drove one today. Also was considering an M3 Vert, but the M3 just didn't have a great interior and the shifter sucks.
My S2000 was Sebring Silver too----really nice car. One thing I learned though was the S2000 depreciates REALLY quickly because it's such a unique car with so few buyers. Dealers want to have quick turn arounds and every dealer I went to gave me a horrible trade-in offer, even though I had < 10k miles (Lost $12k in < 1yr.). I would recommend trying private party with no hurry, and if someone eventually buys it, use that toward the IS.
Old 11-03-06, 01:29 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Are you kidding? Do you actaully own an IS250/350 or do you drive a Datsun 210? From the sounds of it, probably the latter. That 210 has some serious potential...soup the motor, slap a wheelie bar on it and you wont be able to hear anymore rattles.

My IS has zero rattles, I love pretty much everything about it except for the brake dust and very limited interior storage space (something you are guaranteed to miss from your LS).
Old 11-03-06, 01:58 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Well currently the other two options I am considering is:

02 M3 SMG Vert and keep the LS as the daily

or

2007 Infiniti G35 Sedan Sport (trade in both) and its cheaper than an IS

The 350 is a great car, but it is small. The backseat was rather cramped. But the power was great. Although I think the new G35 will give the IS a run for the money. Plus it comes in a 6 mt. We'll have to see. This weekend will be interesting....
I'll be dealership hopping.
Old 11-03-06, 02:09 PM
Fleainat
Pole Position

or

The 350 is a great car, but it is small. The backseat was rather cramped. But the power was great. Although I think the new G35 will give the IS a run for the money. Plus it comes in a 6 mt. We'll have to see. This weekend will be interesting....
I dunno, I think the IS is the most cost-effective in the long run. Bimmers are very solid and nice, but very expensive out of warranty. I think the G35s have great power and handling (and 6M is great), but I didn't consider them because the quality doesn't seem to be near Lexus/BMW. But the G35 is a great contender if the look of it appeals to you.
Old 11-03-06, 02:22 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

or

I SEE HOW IT IS MAN! I SEE, I SEE..... You're going to the DARK side.
Old 11-03-06, 04:24 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

thank you for visiting CL. the infiniti forum is that way -->, and the BMW forum is that way <--. don't forget to grab your belongings on the way out.

j/k.

IMO... the M3 is a beast; drives like one, handles like one. but i've been in a few SMG-equipped M3s, and though the manual mode is awesome, the auto mode on those things are, well, jerky at best. it also rides ultra-stiff, nothing like your LS... the 2nd gen G35 is a nice revamp on the 1st gen, but it's a bigger car and handles like one too. the interior doesn't compare to the 2is; center console seems too busy, and... Oh, God, did they copy the iDrive from BMW?!... and it's not as sexy as the 2is.
Old 11-04-06, 06:38 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
thank you for visiting CL. the infiniti forum is that way -->, and the BMW forum is that way <--. don't forget to grab your belongings on the way out.

j/k.

p
LOL

I just got my IS 350 and absolutely no regrets even after seeing the new G and driving the 335i. The IS is just right for me.
Old 11-04-06, 09:18 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

I see a local IS350 for sale for $37 K, navi, ML system, a 18's 10.5 K miles

You guys think this is a good deal? Or do you think they'll drop a bit more when the market gets a bit more saturated?

I'm still leaning towards the IS, but had to drive the G35, it did drive pretty nice though. The rev matching down shifting on the auto trans was pretty impressive. The M3, well, I've decided against it, purely based on the fact that its german and will rape me on maint charges down the road.
Old 11-04-06, 10:22 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

w/ a bit more research and savvy negotiating you should be able to get a better deal.