IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Clunk sound when shift from P/N to D

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-06, 11:34 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clunk sound when shift from P/N to D

I noticed that when the car is cold (in the morning), when I shift to D from P or N. There is a clunk sound. Anyone noticed this?

I do use my parking brack to hold the car.

When I park, I put the transmission to N then I set the parking brake and release my foot so the car will sit on the brakes. Then I put it in P.
Old 11-02-06, 11:50 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am confused as to why you put the car in N before putting the parking brake down.

I have noticed that when I put the car in park it rulls back maybe an inch then locks into place. However, since I used to drive a 5sp I usually put the car in park and put the parking break down when needed.

Never heard a clunk personally.
Old 11-02-06, 12:00 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

DJ Amtrax engages the parking brake first so as to put the pressure on the parking brakes, not the transmission. Shifting into Park basically uses the transmission as a brake. Just a measure of prevention... I do the same thing. BTW, I don't have any "clunking " noises.

Javier
Old 11-02-06, 12:02 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

If you don't let your car rest on the parking brake before putting it into P. The transmission is holding the car and not the brakes. Brakes are cheaper than a transmission service.

Service techs, please give me your opinion on this.
Old 11-02-06, 02:32 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I would also hear a cluck every once in a while when shifting to drive when the car was cold. Turns out it was the brake pads shifting slightly when they're cold. That's what it was on my car anyway.
Old 11-02-06, 03:27 PM
Delmiroc
Driver School Candidate

I do hear that same clunk... it kinda worries me too.. I'm gonna ask my dealer when I'm up for service.

You the guys having No clunking sound, try parking your car UP HILL or DOWN HILL, maybe you'll hear the clunk sound then, and only when shifting from park into drive.

when I park in FLAT roads I don't hear the CLUNK sound.
Old 11-02-06, 03:44 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I should clarify my last post... I don't hear a "clunk" as soon as I make the change from P to D, but when I roll forward slowely with the brakes still deperssed slightly.

If you're hearing a loud clunk right when you shift, and you're noticing it on hills, you should try engaging your ebrake/parking brake before shifting it to park. You can go a step further and put it in neutral, let the car roll until the parking brake stops it, then shift it to park. This shoudl eliminate the loud thud you hear.
Old 11-02-06, 11:12 PM
jthbe
Driver School Candidate

I hear it too. Seems to be getting worse as well. First brake in the morning after a reverse out of the driveway...seems to come from front left for me. Let us know if you find anything out.
Old 11-03-06, 04:20 AM
Riva
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jthbe
I hear it too. Seems to be getting worse as well. First brake in the morning after a reverse out of the driveway...seems to come from front left for me. Let us know if you find anything out.
I believe that's the brake pads shifting. I remember reading this in another post before. Whenever you first start your car, reverse out and then put in into drive, the pads will shift a little.
Old 11-03-06, 08:46 AM
GSE25
Lead Lap

I always hear a clunk after I reverse the car *clunk* as I put it in D... the noise is coming from the back... and it feels like the tranny shook a bit... really bothersome.
Old 11-03-06, 09:41 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is normal if your car isn't totally settled on the parking brake. I also like to shift to neutral and let the car rest with the parking brake then shift into P. The clunking is due to the car resting on the "parking pin" in the tranmission. I noticed that in my IS the parking brake isn't very strong or I have to step on the parking brake really really hard to get the car to rest to a total stop with it on a slight incline. Probably the IS might be too heavy to completely rest on the parking brake on a hill. The IS is not very bad with regards to the transmission clunking compared to other cars. I've had some automatic cars where you needed to use lots of force to disengage from P once the car is rested on the pin. If you have the clunking on flat ground and the car rested on the parking brake completely I'd have it serviced and check if something's wrong the "parking pin".
Old 11-03-06, 06:05 PM
lexi06
Rookie

Originally Posted by ba-b4
This is normal if your car isn't totally settled on the parking brake. I also like to shift to neutral and let the car rest with the parking brake then shift into P. The clunking is due to the car resting on the "parking pin" in the tranmission. I noticed that in my IS the parking brake isn't very strong or I have to step on the parking brake really really hard to get the car to rest to a total stop with it on a slight incline. Probably the IS might be too heavy to completely rest on the parking brake on a hill. The IS is not very bad with regards to the transmission clunking compared to other cars. I've had some automatic cars where you needed to use lots of force to disengage from P once the car is rested on the pin. If you have the clunking on flat ground and the car rested on the parking brake completely I'd have it serviced and check if something's wrong the "parking pin".
My parking brake is the same, I have to push down at least 7 clicks on the
parking brake for it to grab then I put it in to P.
Old 11-03-06, 07:01 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

guys, it's the brake pad shifting (or something like that).

i hear the noise, too and this has been covered elsewhere....you should try it without the parking brake, you should still hear the noise. doesn't matter level or hill. when you go into reverse, as soon as you go forward first time you apply the brake....thunk!

dealer says it is normal. i'm not happy with it, waiting for a tsb first before i ask them to go monkeying with it. btw, it's louder with the windows down or if you are in a parking garage.

also some 2is owners don't hear this at all.
Old 11-03-06, 07:07 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

so on the parking brake and P for park issue, i do it too. you are on a hill and you put the car in N, apply the emergency brake, let the car roll to a stop, then shift to P. i do this because i hate to force the tranny out of P if you do it the other way around.

but of course, this is not proper, right? your car will roll in P only with no emergency brake. doesn't it seem normal to put your car in P and allow the tranny to keep the car still and in the event this fails, the emergency brake which you applied with serve as a backup?

if you let the emergency brake hold and the emergency brake fail on a steep hill, the tranny in P is probably not going to prevent your runaway car.

if you believe the former will cause damage to your warrantied tranny (which it won't lol), you're not going to believe a word i said.

so am i crazy?
Old 11-03-06, 07:09 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Default reading the other threads more closely....

Originally Posted by kensteele
guys, it's the brake pad shifting (or something like that).
...or maybe there is another clunking noise.

Quick Reply: Clunk sound when shift from P/N to D