IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I just priced a 335i sedan on bmwusa.com and it came out to 44,300 something......

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-06, 02:44 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I think i'll get both
Old 11-05-06, 02:48 PM
Oaktown350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll admit I'm BMW biassed. After admiring the cars from when I was a kid and haivng a friend who had an M3 I was hooked. Recently I traded off my '06 IS 350 for an '07 328. I guess that decision cancels me from being an enthusiast, because they're always after the highest horsepower. I'll let the IS 350s and BMW 335s race each other all over America.

There's more to a car then power and electronics, and I learned that the hard way. I still think the IS x50 is a great car. However, it lacked the one thing that I wanted and that was a manual. I know the IS 250 has a manual, but come on, Toyota could had got a better manual then the one from the Tundra pickup. The one thing I miss about the IS 350 is the ML sound system. I jumped the gun and got the 350 based on all the negativity with the BMW and the price. Mention floor mats to your CA because they're not included, extra money for the comfort access, alarm, leather, and the list goes on. Go gently and it is possible to get a reasonably equipped car for the price, but not fully loaded. I gave up the navigation becasue I still think the I-drive can be simplified, which also gave up the rearview camera. I only used the Lexus navigation twice. For me it was nice, but not necessary. I never used the rearview camera because I still turned my head around; it's really only useful for SUVs and minivans in my opinion.

For all the enthusiasm when the IS 350 first came out, I was shocked at how much it depreciated. After I swallowed that pill and realized I jumped the gun, I decided between keeping it or moving on. I moved on. It's ironic, financial reasons were the reason I jumped to the IS 350, but that's were I got screwed the most with the depeciation. I'm walking that line because I don't believe I have to put down the IS 350 to jusitfy my decision. The IS was the common sense car; runs great, and great reliability. The BMW was more emotional; handles great and was with the stick driving was fun again. From the moment I hit the freeway, I wanted that car.

It's been a month now, and no regrets. A friend saw my 328 and mentioned I just missed my old '01 325 coupe. Unfortunately, even with all the electonics and 306 horsepower, the Lexus didn't make me forget it.

Last edited by Oaktown350; 11-05-06 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-05-06, 03:09 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Oaktown350
For all the enthusiasm when the IS 350 first came out, I was shocked at how much it depreciated. After I swallowed that pill and realized I jumped the gun, I decided between keeping it or moving on. I moved on. It's ironic, financial reasons were the reason I jumped to the IS 350, but that's were I got screwed the most with the depeciation. I'm walking that line because I don't believe I have to put down the IS 350 to jusitfy my decision. The IS was the common sense car; runs great, and great reliability. The BMW was more emotional; handles great and was with the stick driving was fun again. From the moment I hit the freeway, I wanted that car.

It's been a month now, and no regrets. A friend saw my 328 and mentioned I just missed my old '01 325 coupe. Unfortunately, even with all the electonics and 306 horsepower, the Lexus didn't make me forget it.
Those are all valid reasons. It would appear you bought the Lexus for many wrong reasons. But you recognized that and moved on, although an expensive lesson in your case.

I think the depreciation thing in general is overblown. Almost any car gets a hit the first year, and I don't think the market fully values the 2nd Gen IS yet. It's too new and hasn't found it's value yet. BMW is a known quantity and values tend to be more stable early on.

I believe if you bought an IS350 today and kept it for five years, the percentage of retained value will be similar to the BMW. Only time will tell, but Lexus' tend to hold their values over the long term. Personally, I plan on keeping my IS for seven years or more as I don't have the need to get the latest and greatest. Once I crank in maintenance (especially after the factory warranties expire) I expect the Lexus to be significantly cheaper overall than the BMW. But that doesn't address the emotional side of ownership. I think there is a clear split between luxury and sport. BMW goes one way and Lexus another. It looks like you like the sportiness of the BMW, and for that reason that is the right choice for you. In my case I have enough sportiness with my other car and motorcycle, and I wanted more luxury than sport in my new car. And for that reason the Lexus suits me better. That is what is good about the market, everyone gets to choose what is best for them. Both BMW and Lexus know their respective target markets and audiences, and they both do a good job serving those clients.
Old 11-05-06, 04:56 PM
Crazy Yoda
Pole Position

Cool

As always the BMW vs any car debate is a personal issue. Many people swear by a BMW over any other car but I personally think they are overpriced and I do not like the interiors. Anyone who cannot design a decent cupholder or a good looking and fuctional radio interface is low on my list. Plus I find the Idrive system a bit confusing. I think a touchscreen is my easier to use.

(Teck Review without Idrive system over at cnet for the 335i - look at that radio?!? - http://reviews.cnet.com/2007_BMW_335...-32027892.html )

I looked long and hard at the 330i, G35 and the IS350. I did not drive the new turbo coupe simply because I did not like the interior of the car or the fact it was the first turbo car in a long time from BMW. I know that in general the BMW handles better than the IS350 or just about any other car but I still do not feel that the IS350 falls short in any way to any other performance based sedan in its "class".

The Lexus fit and finish is simply outstanding. The G35 I drove had an interior quality level that was closer to our Kia minivan and did not even feel like "near luxury". The BMW was simply overpriced for what you would get. Yes their is something to be said for a manual transmission but as I have stated before my highest performance cars were automatics with slam shifters and I had no issues with them at all.

I have priced out the 335i to see it compares in the features vs price against the IS350 because in my opinion it is a closer match performance wise than the 330i sedan.

My 2007 IS350:
SMG Paint
Black Interior
ML Audio
Luxury Package
Paint and Interior Protection
Tire Protection (Around Construction sites ALL the time...good value for me)
Pre Paid 1/2 price oil/tire rotations

OTD hair under $48,000 (including tax+tag+title)

335i BMW
Graphite Metalic Paint (extra)
Black Dakota Leather Interior with wood trim (extra)
Automatic (extra)
Active Steering (extra)
$45,745

Now Edmunds Lists the following Items that are not on the BMW website:
Comfort Access $500
Power Rear Sunshade $350
On-Board Navigation System $2100

Total:
$48,695

Now take in mind I could NOT get the paddle shifters without the sport package so that item is not included in my figures because I do not have a sport package. Also I could not get the price on an audio system that would match up to the ML package in my IS350.

Bottom line is that the BMW does cost more than the IS350 and you do not get as good a value (in my opinion) over an IS350 IF they are equiped in a similar manner.

From what I have read the 335i could outdo the IS350 in the corners but not in the straightaway. For me I would rather have more power to pass people than a stiffer less comfortable ride and a bit better steering control. Since I drive in Florida a car that can "charge a mountain road" is not as improtant as one that has good acceleration. Plus on my 07 IS350 I can disable the driving nanny and get the car to really "hang out in the breeze" if I so desire and that is a plus when i want it to be.

Plus lets face it most of us do not drive in a manner that would push either one of these cars to the limit. When I am sitting in traffic I would rather have a higher level of comfort and a great stereo over a manual transmission any day. Driving a manual in traffic is a pain in my opinion.

Traffic!

The bottom line is the luxury performance sedan/coupe class will always have hardcore followers that are loyal to certain brands and types of cars. But I have one other thing to state before I rest my opinion on this issue.

My brothers best friend (JEFF BARTLETT http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...lett/index.htm) currently works for Consumer Reports but he did work for Motortrend for many years. In that time he drove just about everything you could imagine and he stated to me one day at a birthday party that nothing drove like a BMW. When I asked him what he was realling saying with that statement he replied to me that he looked forward to driving their cars because they were unique...not because they were the best.

He also stated he would not own a BMW for everyday transportation. It was simply too stiff and uncomfortable. He prefered Lexus and Toyota for everyday comfort. Thas says a lot from a guy who drove just about everything you could imagine and trust me he is very **** and very objective about everything.

I could not agree more. Thats my 2 cents (ok more like a quarter) on this issue and I am very happy with my IS350 and would not think of trading it for a BMW just so I could have a manual transmission and i do think I made the best overall choice...at least for myself.
Old 11-05-06, 06:12 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Yoda
The bottom line is the luxury performance sedan/coupe class will always have hardcore followers that are loyal to certain brands and types of cars. But I have one other thing to state before I rest my opinion on this issue.

My brothers best friend (JEFF BARTLETT http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...lett/index.htm) currently works for Consumer Reports but he did work for Motortrend for many years. In that time he drove just about everything you could imagine and he stated to me one day at a birthday party that nothing drove like a BMW. When I asked him what he was realling saying with that statement he replied to me that he looked forward to driving their cars because they were unique...not because they were the best.

He also stated he would not own a BMW for everyday transportation. It was simply too stiff and uncomfortable. He prefered Lexus and Toyota for everyday comfort. Thas says a lot from a guy who drove just about everything you could imagine and trust me he is very **** and very objective about everything.
Good, in depth analysis. Interesting comments from the Motor Trend/CR guy. When I got my IS350 back in August my wife and I took a drive out to the best restaurant in the Texas Hill Country for a bit of celebration. When we told the owner/chef about the new Lexus she mentioned that her brother is the number two guy at AUTOMOBILE magazine and lives in Michigan. He doesn't personally own a car as they always have a full stable of new cars that they can drive. But he had mentioned to her recently that if he had to buy a car there were only two he would consider; Lexus and the VW Passat. Now I know nothing about the Passat and why it would rise to the top of the list, and she didn't say which Lexus he was talking about, but I thought it was an interesting comment from someone who probably has driven more cars than we could ever imagine.
Old 11-05-06, 06:21 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sincityIS
This was fully loaded with every option available except a 6 disc changer because I don't listen to music that often. But that makes it come in slightly less than the the new IS. Does anyone disagree that you get a little better deal with the BMW, especially with its mod potential and lease factor?
That's definitely not fully loaded. I built one the other day and it came out to $49,850. Add ttl and an extended warranty (which you will definitely need) and you are looking at $55,000+ Nowhere close to the $44,800 for an IS.