IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TOM'S Mods for IS

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-06 | 03:15 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
yes..but the IS already does that. We have a semi electronic LSD. or something like that. Do you remember playing with toy cars, you would spin the rear wheel one way and the other wheel would spin the opposite direction? well an LSD lets both wheels spin independently.
That's an awesome example
Old 11-04-06 | 07:23 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

there is a reverse wire for the manual shift of the gearbox, it will reverse the up and down gear sequence
Old 11-04-06 | 10:33 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

now that is one bad *** IS.
Old 11-06-06 | 04:29 PM
Carson-Lex
Original CL Sponsor since 1999

We have a few of the suspension items up already, but currently waiting on pricing for more items. Toms did tell us that the supercharger will not work because of the ECU not being compatible with the US version.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/model/st...d=113&cat_id=7
Old 11-06-06 | 04:38 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Carson-Lex
We have a few of the suspension items up already, but currently waiting on pricing for more items. Toms did tell us that the supercharger will not work because of the ECU not being compatible with the US version.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/model/st...d=113&cat_id=7
I can't see me buying anything from an auto performance company that doesn't even know the difference between a strut and a shock. ISx50's don't have struts. Why would we need "strut bars"?
Old 11-06-06 | 05:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gernby
I can't see me buying anything from an auto performance company that doesn't even know the difference between a strut and a shock. ISx50's don't have struts. Why would we need "strut bars"?
Please read my thread here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=toms

TOMS is the real deal. Even I was surprised with their R&D in what they produced.
Old 11-06-06 | 06:32 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Please read my thread here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=toms

TOMS is the real deal. Even I was surprised with their R&D in what they produced.
What does that thread have to say about the knowledge of the marketing people that write the descriptions about their products? If there isn't acurate info about the product I'm wanting to buy, then I'm not going to buy it.
Old 11-06-06 | 08:20 PM
Tmirk
Pole Position

Firstly, the stuff you are referring to is from LMS, not TOMS

and Unless I'm crazy...... isn't that type of chassis brace almost always called a strut tower brace/bar, or rear strut bar. I don't think I've ever heard that brace called anything differently even on cars with out struts. And as far as I know-or at least what I still call them- is "strut towers". That is jwhat I would consider common terminology.

So what exactly do you want to call it or describe it? What do you call the "towers" they attach to?

Wait... I know..... How about "inner fender attached chassis brace" and "brace attaching the two rear fender wells together" .... That really rolls off the tongue

Sometimes you have to market towards what is known.

Last edited by Tmirk; 11-06-06 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-06-06 | 08:53 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tmirk
Firstly, the stuff you are referring to is from LMS, not TOMS

and Unless I'm crazy...... isn't that type of chassis brace almost always called a strut tower brace/bar, or rear strut bar. I don't think I've ever heard that brace called anything differently even on cars with out struts. And as far as I know-or at least what I still call them- is "strut towers". That is jwhat I would consider common terminology.

So what exactly do you want to call it or describe it? What do you call the "towers" they attach to?

Wait... I know..... How about "inner fender attached chassis brace" and "brace attaching the two rear fender wells together" .... That really rolls off the tongue

Sometimes you have to market towards what is known.
Then I guess I won't be buying anything from LMS either if they are calling it a "strut bar". However, you are correct that most companies / people call those braces "strut bars", but they should really be called "shock tower bars that transfer and magnify weight from your wallet to your chassis". There are VERY few cars that benefit from such mods, regardless of what they are called.

Last edited by Gernby; 11-06-06 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-06-06 | 09:15 PM
Tmirk
Pole Position

There are VERY few cars that benefit from such mods, regardless of what they are called.

This I agree with 100%. Cars today aren't your 70s and 80s types of cars structurally. They are much more rigid throughout. And even then you won't find a lot of use for any braces up high. The shock towers just don't flex enough.

If you want to stiffen up your chassis, you are much better off going for braces down low on the underside at the frame of the car. This is where you will get the most benefit, especially on unibody frames.
Old 11-06-06 | 09:21 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I dont see why you should avoid a company because they call their bars "strut" bars instead of shock tower bars.

It's one of those misnomers that we all learn to accept. Tanabe, Cusco, JIC, TRD, etc call their bars "strut" bars. I doubt anyone would avoid them because of that since their reputation speaks for themselves.
Old 11-06-06 | 09:43 PM
LexFather

What does that thread have to say about the knowledge of the marketing people that write the descriptions about their products? If there isn't acurate info about the product I'm wanting to buy, then I'm not going to buy it.
I did not know you were talking about LMS, not TOMS. Well if you don't like it don't buy it. But maybe it could be a mistake on the web designers part, it could be Carson that made a mistake, even LMS might have wrote it wrong.

They clearly put some R&D in it to make the product come to the market.
Old 11-06-06 | 09:52 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Has anyone dyno'd the HP gains from TOM's exhaust system?

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 11-06-06 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-21-06 | 09:46 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

seriously doubt much.

are any of the parts that toms makes, such as the braces, worthwhile to our cars or just buy-for-bragging?
Old 11-21-06 | 10:28 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

uh TOM's..it's TOM's MAN!! Like I said before..TOM's is to Lexus and Toyota, as brabus is to mercedes, hamann to bmw...shelby to ford, so on and so forth.

I highly doubt the exhaust system shows any impressive gains...its not a true dual exhaust. It's designed for sport driving and not waking up your neighbors. The real power.performance gains should come from that supercharger system and trick suspension pieces..I want!!!

Last edited by NovaIS350; 11-21-06 at 10:32 AM.

Quick Reply: TOM'S Mods for IS