IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rattles, Squeaks, and Creaks (oh my?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-06, 06:50 PM
GSE25
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently the middle piece on my dashboard (the thing that looks like a speaker? wtf is that anyways?) is quite loose which causes rattles and creaks that annoy the hell out of me and my passengers. Anyone having this problem too? I'm taking my car to the dealership next friday for service, but I'm not sure if I want to let them "fix" this issue....
Old 11-06-06, 06:57 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSE25

Recently the middle piece on my dashboard (the thing that looks like a speaker? wtf is that anyways?) is quite loose which causes rattles and creaks that annoy the hell out of me and my passengers. Anyone having this problem too? I'm taking my car to the dealership next friday for service, but I'm not sure if I want to let them "fix" this issue....
That is a speaker cover in cars with the ML system (center channel).
Old 11-06-06, 07:01 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My sunroof is rattling, only noticable when closed or open on 1st notch, and had a tech ride along with me and we were joking that the guy(or gal) who assembled that part might have been tired or didn't do his job fully which is why something was rattling in there. He said that he will fix this problem most likely in an hour or so but he didn't have time to fit me in today(it was pretty late when I went). He told me most rattles come from behind NAV unit and that this was the first time he'd experienced this rattle from an IS.
Old 11-06-06, 11:20 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 15951
It's absolutely ridiculous that we're having this discussion on a Lexus forum. To read these descriptions, you'd think we're all driving Kias.
LOL! Yeah, I know... it's a pain, but at least when we go in to complain, we're not treated like Kia owners.

It's strange my ES3 was smoother and quiter (ESPECIALLY on the hwy, no wind noise)... but still, I NEVER got as excited about it as I do my IS350!
Old 11-07-06, 05:14 AM
Shoafb
Rookie

Originally Posted by ES3
Hmm, I may have to bring the seat issue back, they couldn't find pins or a TSB, so they just "tightened" it down.

The air vent is a pain. For now I'll just crank up the stereo!
My repair order referenced TSIB NV001-006

Hope this helps.
Old 11-07-06, 05:37 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Julez
My sunroof is rattling, only noticable when closed or open on 1st notch, and had a tech ride along with me and we were joking that the guy(or gal) who assembled that part might have been tired or didn't do his job fully which is why something was rattling in there. He said that he will fix this problem most likely in an hour or so but he didn't have time to fit me in today(it was pretty late when I went). He told me most rattles come from behind NAV unit and that this was the first time he'd experienced this rattle from an IS.
I didn't realized I too have this rattle from the sunroof when it is open on the 1st notch until this weekend. Did you end up having it fixed and if so what did they do? Also for the rattle behind the NAV unit, did that get fixed and if so how?
Old 11-07-06, 09:09 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shoafb
My repair order referenced TSIB NV001-006

Hope this helps.
Thx! I actually had that and told them about it, but they seemed to suggest their fix should be fine. What's funny now is I notice a noice from inside the seat. When I lean back it's a small squeak. Probalby natural, but my previous Lexus made me expect perfection!?
Old 11-07-06, 09:45 AM
Shoafb
Rookie

Originally Posted by ES3
Thx! I actually had that and told them about it, but they seemed to suggest their fix should be fine. What's funny now is I notice a noice from inside the seat. When I lean back it's a small squeak. Probalby natural, but my previous Lexus made me expect perfection!?
If you lean back and it makes the noise it is just like mine. It will also make the noise if you rock left and right.
Old 11-07-06, 02:02 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
I didn't realized I too have this rattle from the sunroof when it is open on the 1st notch until this weekend. Did you end up having it fixed and if so what did they do? Also for the rattle behind the NAV unit, did that get fixed and if so how?
I'm taking it in tomorrow to be fixed. I don't seem to have any other rattles that I know of. I will post to see what they tell me tomorrow when they fix it.
Old 11-07-06, 02:59 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Let me be the first to say that customer data like this thread is absolutely INVALUABLE when chasing down squeaks, creaks, and rattles in cars, from a manufacturing standpoint.
PLEASE take it in to the dealer and/or call them to document this, it helps to eliminate these problems (and they can be eliminated, sometimes just by dissassembling/reassembling everything). Maybe a worker on the line fell behind and couldn't shoot a screw all the way, or he dropped a nut into the IP, or his torque-control tool shut off when he cross-threaded something. It happens, even to toyotas! But please do document this, so no one else has the same problem!
Old 11-08-06, 08:14 AM
archaic
Driver School Candidate

I'm having a rattle from that area too. I popped out the grill and it was still rattling. But when pressed down on the edge of the dash surrounding where the grill was placed, the noise stops. I'll probably have them check this out.
Old 11-28-06, 11:33 AM
trio
Driver

I noticed a creaking/rattle noise from my moonroof when it is closed. Unlike what other members have reported, when it's open first notch, it's fine. The creaking is coming on whenever I hit a bump. I tried pushing the moonroof down gently and I noticed it creaked with the slightest application of pressure. Anyone else come across this?
Old 11-28-06, 11:47 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by archaic
I'm having a rattle from that area too. I popped out the grill and it was still rattling. But when pressed down on the edge of the dash surrounding where the grill was placed, the noise stops. I'll probably have them check this out.
I actually have this noise in the dash too and when I had it checked out they told me I was missing a few clips. They had to order the clips and the car is currently in the shop getting them installed. (driving a loaner ES350) I'll let you guys know if it fixes the problem tonight when I get the car back.
Old 11-28-06, 11:59 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the noise between the dash and windshield. Also around the dash and central air vents. It's not often, but happens when it's hot out or the car is baking in the sun. There is a TSB for it and i'm going to hopefully get it fixed at my 5k service.

I too am surprised this car has as many rattles as it does. I didn't expect that form Lexus.
Old 11-28-06, 03:27 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the rattle from this grill as well as a creaking seat. They removed the seat and lubricated it and sorted the grill as well. Lexus do an interior rattle kit that has various bits of foam for just this type of rattle. Result: no more creaking seat and dash rattle gone.

Quick Reply: Rattles, Squeaks, and Creaks (oh my?)