IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rattles, Squeaks, and Creaks (oh my?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-06, 03:20 PM
david_s
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been into the dealership 4 times for the left side AC vent rattle. I was able to walk back to the "mechanic's" work area where I saw that they had removed the AC vent and applied small pieces of foam around it in order to stop the problem. Unfortunately this did not fix the problem. Although pushing against the vent when the noise is being made does stop the problem, it seems to really be coming from the left hand corner of the dash by the windshield. I am planning on taking it back for a fifth time next week as I too am having the seat rattle issue.

Thanks to all those who have shared these issues. Was starting to think I was going a bit mad or perhaps becoming too **** about the noise issue.
Old 11-29-06, 05:56 PM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by david_s
I have been into the dealership 4 times for the left side AC vent rattle. I was able to walk back to the "mechanic's" work area where I saw that they had removed the AC vent and applied small pieces of foam around it in order to stop the problem. Unfortunately this did not fix the problem. Although pushing against the vent when the noise is being made does stop the problem, it seems to really be coming from the left hand corner of the dash by the windshield. I am planning on taking it back for a fifth time next week as I too am having the seat rattle issue.

Thanks to all those who have shared these issues. Was starting to think I was going a bit mad or perhaps becoming too **** about the noise issue.

Thanks for letting us know what to not look for, please give an update when you find the real fix.
Old 11-30-06, 07:06 PM
VitB6
Pole Position

I had a rattle coming from the sunroof when it was closed and when it was cracked open. Took it in to Lexus and they fixed it. What they said it was, is the sunroof drip tray shaking. So they added a weight to the drip tray and now I don't have an issue with it. That was about 3 months ago and havn't heard anything since.
Old 12-01-06, 11:47 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Dec 1 2006 Dash noise fixed

Well I just got my car back after letting the dealer have it all week to fix a rattle type noise coming from the center dash when going over bumps. So far so good and I guess the real test will be tomorrow when it gets much colder than today. (It's 75 degrees here in N.VA!)

So basically the fix was: 550351
"INSULATED THE AC VENTS & VENTS & MOUNTING & ALL DASH MOUNT BODY CLIPS"

The repair was done free under warranty and I was given an ES350 to drive all week. Not a bad car, but way too big for me and the handling was to be expected for it's type. Also the steering on that car is way way too light!
Old 12-01-06, 12:12 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caymandive
So basically the fix was: 550351
"INSULATED THE AC VENTS & VENTS & MOUNTING & ALL DASH MOUNT BODY CLIPS"
Wonder what "insulated" involves? I need that for my driver's side vent!
Old 12-02-06, 08:56 PM
Cleric
Driver

Originally Posted by ES3
Wonder what "insulated" involves? I need that for my driver's side vent!
Foam and Felt pretty much. One common source for the rattle noise that plagues so many IS (and RX too) vehicles are the clips on the IP on the firewall side. The rattle often times sounds like it comes from the glovebox or AC vents. The rattles in our cars really pisses me off because my ten year old Acura did not make this much racket.
Old 12-02-06, 11:54 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cleric
Foam and Felt pretty much. One common source for the rattle noise that plagues so many IS (and RX too) vehicles are the clips on the IP on the firewall side. The rattle often times sounds like it comes from the glovebox or AC vents. The rattles in our cars really pisses me off because my ten year old Acura did not make this much racket.
Hmm, so my driver's side vent rattle is probably coming from somewhere else?
Old 12-03-06, 06:06 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Hmm, so my driver's side vent rattle is probably coming from somewhere else?
I can vouch for that. For months I've been convinced I had a rattle coming from the driver's left air vent, because when I push on it the rattles goes away. Well, yesterday I pressed the dash near the windshield, and it went away, and then came back WORSE. Lightly..uh.."hitting" that area of the dash causes the rattle to change for the better or worse - it's like a video game, really.

The last time I chased rattles by thumping on a dashboard was in a 94 Saturn SL1. I think that statement speaks for itself. I'm a little pissed.
Old 12-03-06, 06:48 AM
Cleric
Driver

What I did to eliminate the rattle without having the dealer tear apart the IP is I went to Michaels (hobby store) and bought a few large sqaures of black felt. I cut the felt and folded it over a few times and wedged it b/w the glass and IP near the A-pillar on both sides and the rattles stopped.
Old 12-03-06, 07:08 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What I did to eliminate the rattle without having the dealer tear apart the IP is I went to Michaels (hobby store) and bought a few large sqaures of black felt. I cut the felt and folded it over a few times and wedged it b/w the glass and IP near the A-pillar on both sides and the rattles stopped.
I'd love to see a picture of where you put the felt. I've had my IS 350 only 4 wks and quite early on I noticed a small noise coming from the passenger area near the glove box or IP. I would certainly like to get rid of it myself with felt rather than taking it to the dealership. Other than that the car has been perfect. Compared with any other car I've owned, it is still much better built.
Old 12-03-06, 07:12 AM
Cleric
Driver

Originally Posted by TorontoTL
I'd love to see a picture of where you put the felt. I've had my IS 350 only 4 wks and quite early on I noticed a small noise coming from the passenger area near the glove box or IP. I would certainly like to get rid of it myself with felt rather than taking it to the dealership. Other than that the car has been perfect. Compared with any other car I've owned, it is still much better built.
I'll take some pics and post them up. Hopefully it won't take me too long to figure out how to post pics up on this site.
Old 12-03-06, 09:26 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

I'll take some pics and post them up.
THX! Lemme know if you have problems posting pics, I'll help ya out!