IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rattles, Squeaks, and Creaks (oh my?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-06, 08:43 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rattles, Squeaks, and Creaks (oh my?)

I've really enjoyed my IS350 so far, but have a few issues I think I've seen here before:

- Rattle from left dash vent. Very faint, but persistent. Goes away if I press on vent.

- Creaking from two "aluminum" look pieces on either side of the wood grain adjacent to the shifter. That's a horrible description, but I don't know how else to say it. Anyway, I these seem to make noise over bumps, etc., and I noticed that they are noisy if I press on them lightly.

- Creaking from trim around NAV unit and center cluter generally. Again, creaking over bumps, etc., and noise if I press on these.

- Gap between dash material and nav. unit trim. I've seen a thread on this here before. It's not a huge deal, but I notice it every time I get in the car, and I don't have gaps like this on my Ford Escape. Incidentally, the Escape doesn't have any creaks or rattles eiher, but I digress.

I plan to have Lexus diagnose and repair these issues. I don't see how they can replace the 2nd item above, as those two trim pieces seem to just sort of snap on, and they seem designed poorly with regard to expansion/contraction noise with temp changes.

I hope I'm able to get these taken care of, and I sincerely hope new ones don't develop. For 44k and the Lexus reputation, these minor issues have put a damper on an otherwise great experience with this car.

Your thoughts/ideas/input is appreciated.
Old 11-03-06, 10:45 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think about it long and hard before you let them butcher your car.

Read my thread on Rattle by my left ear.
Old 11-04-06, 06:19 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When my TL had noises I was always really scared of letting them get near it to fix them. I was always worried that it would come back with other problems created by them taking it apart to attempt the fix. On the other hand if you find on this site descriptions of the same noises and TSB's that Lexus has put out then I'd definitely go ahead and have the TSB's done.

So far I had a really annoying noise coming from the dash on day 1 of my car. It turned out that the self inside the glovebox was pulled out of the slots that align it and hold it in place by the very very fat leather binder that Lexus gives you with the car to hold all of the books. I took the stuff out and easily put the self in the right holes and then thinned my binder and voila, no noise. Thank god, I hate a noisey interior, makes me feel like my car is cheap and it definitely wasn't cheap.
Old 11-04-06, 07:50 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Call corporate and complain, also direct them to the site. Given the consistency of the complaints here, it's apparent there are either process or design related issues with the car.

We're just the vocal minority, others most likely have the same issue but are unaware of enthusiast forums etc...
Old 11-04-06, 07:53 AM
lexudv
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problems and after taking it 4 times to get the problem fixed it has not gone away. And I agree this has definetely kept me from fully enjoying this nice (expensive) car.
Old 11-04-06, 08:11 AM
Shoafb
Rookie

I had the "seat creaking" issue resolved last week at the dealer via the SB for that. It was REALLY annoying.

Now the handle above the door clicks sometimes as well as the left side air vent. I mess with both of them and it goes away for a while. The MT noises on the other hand never go away. Why on earth Lexus can't build a quieter MT then a ford Focus is beyond me
Old 11-04-06, 03:14 PM
Lexus Test Driver

I'd hate to think that I will have to just live with these issues rather than risk having Lexus repair them. If they mess something else up, then as far as I'm concerned, they'll be repairing that as well.

This is a fantastic car other than these minor gripes. It's embarrassing, though, to have people in your relatively new Lexus with it rattling as you're driving down the road.
Old 11-05-06, 01:25 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Listen to me. I learned from experience. Enjoy your car for a while before you let them butcher it. I wish I could turn back time and not take the car to them. The longer you wait, the more chances of a SB on the rattle.
Old 11-06-06, 12:01 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shoafb
I had the "seat creaking" issue resolved last week at the dealer via the SB for that. It was REALLY annoying.

Now the handle above the door clicks sometimes as well as the left side air vent.
What did they do to fix your seat? Also, I've got the noisy left side air vent, any suggestions?
Old 11-06-06, 04:17 AM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by 15951
I've really enjoyed my IS350 so far, but have a few issues I think I've seen here before:

- Rattle from left dash vent. Very faint, but persistent. Goes away if I press on vent.

- Creaking from two "aluminum" look pieces on either side of the wood grain adjacent to the shifter. That's a horrible description, but I don't know how else to say it. Anyway, I these seem to make noise over bumps, etc., and I noticed that they are noisy if I press on them lightly.

- Creaking from trim around NAV unit and center cluter generally. Again, creaking over bumps, etc., and noise if I press on these.

- Gap between dash material and nav. unit trim. I've seen a thread on this here before. It's not a huge deal, but I notice it every time I get in the car, and I don't have gaps like this on my Ford Escape. Incidentally, the Escape doesn't have any creaks or rattles eiher, but I digress.

I plan to have Lexus diagnose and repair these issues. I don't see how they can replace the 2nd item above, as those two trim pieces seem to just sort of snap on, and they seem designed poorly with regard to expansion/contraction noise with temp changes.

I hope I'm able to get these taken care of, and I sincerely hope new ones don't develop. For 44k and the Lexus reputation, these minor issues have put a damper on an otherwise great experience with this car.

Your thoughts/ideas/input is appreciated.
I have the left vent rattle and the seat creak. Mentioned the vent rattle to my dealer "Park Place Lexus of Plano" at my 5000 mile service and they tried to blame it on my hard wired Valentine One install. I was told to remove the Valentine wiring and then they would address the rattle.
Old 11-06-06, 05:14 AM
Shoafb
Rookie

Originally Posted by ES3
What did they do to fix your seat? Also, I've got the noisy left side air vent, any suggestions?

There is a TSB for it. Something about a couple of pins in the track for the seat being too long and contacting the undercariage. Mine was driving me NUTS!

As for the air vent, I am hoping another TSB comes out for that.
Old 11-06-06, 10:02 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shoafb
There is a TSB for it. Something about a couple of pins in the track for the seat being too long and contacting the undercariage. Mine was driving me NUTS!

As for the air vent, I am hoping another TSB comes out for that.
Hmm, I may have to bring the seat issue back, they couldn't find pins or a TSB, so they just "tightened" it down.

The air vent is a pain. For now I'll just crank up the stereo!
Old 11-06-06, 02:55 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ES3
Hmm, I may have to bring the seat issue back, they couldn't find pins or a TSB, so they just "tightened" it down.

The air vent is a pain. For now I'll just crank up the stereo!
It's absolutely ridiculous that we're having this discussion on a Lexus forum. To read these descriptions, you'd think we're all driving Kias.
Old 11-06-06, 04:12 PM
juncho
Rookie

Default Warranty Coverage for Squeaks, etc?

How long does the Lexus warranty cover for something like squeaks and creaks? Is it for the whole duration of the warranty (4 years) or is it only for the first year?
Old 11-06-06, 05:46 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The warranty period for stuff like creaks/rattles etc. is 4 yrs.

Quick Reply: Rattles, Squeaks, and Creaks (oh my?)