IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Whoops!!! There's a curb there

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-06, 02:12 PM
Tmirk
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whoops!!! There's a curb there

Yep, did a nice bit of damage to the wheel pulling into a parking spot tuesday night. Wasn't real thrilled so didn't look at it until today. I must have misjudged everything, because my wheel was at full crank . Poor GSpide.

Oh well, probably just replace it when I have to get new tires. Which brings me to ask..... anyone attempt running anything thicker upfront on an 18" wheel (Gspider). Either that or get it repaired.... too bad I can't do it myself like I could with my old car's polished wheels.

Here's the pics.

Old 11-04-06, 02:38 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Ouch man Very sorry. I have the same wheels and am sooo nervous about scratching them.. Hope you get this fixed for cheap
Old 11-04-06, 02:58 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear about your wheel man. Well I have to admit that on my second day of ownership I curbed the back passenger side wheel. I was backing into a spot and curbed it. Damn, brand new wheels too. At least they're not my summer wheels, they are 17 " OEM's for winter. My 18 " summers haven't even been on my car yet.
Old 11-04-06, 03:59 PM
Axvel
Driver

same happend to me, sorry to hear this
Old 11-04-06, 05:28 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

same thing happened to my ISP's sucks... but you can get them repaired for around 150 I think. I'm just gonna wait till i scrape them one or two more times before I get them fixed. It's bound to happen sooner or later anyway.
Old 11-04-06, 05:34 PM
IRCRomeo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ba-b4
same thing happened to my ISP's sucks... but you can get them repaired for around 150 I think. I'm just gonna wait till i scrape them one or two more times before I get them fixed. It's bound to happen sooner or later anyway.
Nope. Not unless you're a bad driver. I have Giovanna's on my current car and will have them on my new IS when I get it next year, and I've never hit a curb. Perhaps knowing you have rims that cost $3,000 make you pay attention a bit more.
Old 11-04-06, 05:47 PM
Axvel
Driver

Originally Posted by IRCRomeo
Nope. Not unless you're a bad driver. I have Giovanna's on my current car and will have them on my new IS when I get it next year, and I've never hit a curb. Perhaps knowing you have rims that cost $3,000 make you pay attention a bit more.

It doesnt matter how much your rims cost, they depreciate in value anyway, 3000$ for the rims is a good downpayment for the IS. Anyways i hit a curb due to emergency reasons not because i didnt have 3000$ rims and didnt care, i do care and i'm sure all of us here would be equally in a bad mood by scraping the rim anyway doesnt matter if its new stock ones or expensive aftermarket ones.
Old 11-04-06, 05:50 PM
kaslead
Rookie

There is a DIY repair for wheels on the audiworld website. I used to own a 2001 S4, and curbed an AVUS wheel pretty bad. Fixed it according to the instructions and it looked like new.

Here's the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext43.shtml

The only question is what the correct paint is for our Lexus wheels. Maybe the one mentioned in the article will work?
Old 11-04-06, 05:52 PM
IRCRomeo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Axvel
It doesnt matter how much your rims cost, they depreciate in value anyway, 3000$ for the rims is a good downpayment for the IS. Anyways i hit a curb due to emergency reasons not because i didnt have 3000$ rims and didnt care, i do care and i'm sure all of us here would be equally in a bad mood by scraping the rim anyway doesnt matter if its new stock ones or expensive aftermarket ones.

Well to be honest, his pic doesn't look that bad. I would probably not notice them if I was looking at his car for two reasons:

1) The car is sharp looking.
2) The stock rims are nothing to look at, so they would never catch my attention.
Old 11-04-06, 11:17 PM
flyfl1pguy

OUcH! Just reading the title hurts. Hey don't yhou live in ValENCIA? Maybe can stop by one of these days so i can check out your HID fogs. . .
Old 11-04-06, 11:58 PM
skorpio
Driver

Me too, I did the same thing on my pasaanger front. It was raining really bad and we had big hail comming down, so I wanted to hide under a tree and there was so much water on the street that the curb was covered. I couldnt see where it was. I was slowly approching the curb but still scraped it almost as bad as you. I didnt wanto to even get out of the car. I looked at it when I got home.

regards,
Old 11-09-06, 07:02 PM
MidnightDa
Driver School Candidate

I just did the same thing, sliding on wet leaves to avoid an idiot who was going to do even more damage...< excuses off ;-) > thanks for the link kaslead!
Old 11-09-06, 08:42 PM
cajunboy
Driver

yup, it happen to me the first wk i had my car.It was the front driver side and the kicker is, my sister borrow my car and rash the other side, so both side got carb rash. I'm just saving up money for new rims now.
Old 11-10-06, 01:36 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cajunboy
yup, it happen to me the first wk i had my car.It was the front driver side and the kicker is, my sister borrow my car and rash the other side, so both side got carb rash. I'm just saving up money for new rims now.
Me, too - first week, or so, both front chromed rims. At the time, it was devastating, and now... no big deal, and only notice them when I'm washing the car.
Old 11-10-06, 03:27 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IRCRomeo
I disagree. Just because you run into a curb does not make you a bad driver. Sometimes it just happens no matter how hard one tries to prevent it.

A bad driver is one who is in the fast lane of the highway, yapping away on their cell phone going 5 under the speed limit and is completely unaware of their surroundings and the mile long line of cars behind them.

Quick Reply: Whoops!!! There's a curb there