IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The IS Depreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-06, 12:55 PM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly what were you expecting? its a car not a Picasso. drive it, enjoy it, accept the fact it will go down in price.
Old 11-06-06, 12:56 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by G35TOIS350
honestly what were you expecting? its a car not a Picasso. drive it, enjoy it, accept the fact it will go down in price.
Exactly, put your moneys worth and smile as you drive.
Old 11-06-06, 01:11 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Actually IS resale has been very high. EVERY CAR gets low-balled at the dealership.

And this thread title is mis-leading. That is not a problem. You want decreciation problems, look at the re-sale of a VW Phaeton, a BMW 745 or INfiniti M45 (first gen)/Q45. That is a problem.

That's no joke.. i saw one advertised locally for high 30's
Old 11-06-06, 02:47 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

I'm wondering where the information from the original poster came from. If you take a search in the local auto trader section in socal, you dont find very many good deals on used IS350's. So where in the country can you get a good deal on one that has depriciated so much? I'm sorry but I just dont see good deals on these cars. Just like 1SickLex said...take a look for a used 745i. That car sold for what, $80k new? You can find them all day around here for $35k...ouch.
Old 11-06-06, 06:14 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverLexo
I'm wondering where the information from the original poster came from. If you take a search in the local auto trader section in socal, you dont find very many good deals on used IS350's. So where in the country can you get a good deal on one that has depriciated so much? I'm sorry but I just dont see good deals on these cars. Just like 1SickLex said...take a look for a used 745i. That car sold for what, $80k new? You can find them all day around here for $35k...ouch.
The info in the original post came verbatim from Intellichoice.com, just surf over and check it out. I make no statement if it is right or not, it is what it is based on their methodology for ownership costs for 5 years. It was posted only to rebut and shed some light on the few threads I've read that the IS seems to drop further, faster than other entry level luxury cars, making it a risky choice vs. it's competition. I just don't think that is the case.

I agree that the few IS's I've seen on the market are no real bargain, and you don't find that many IS's on the secondary market to begin with.
Old 11-06-06, 06:41 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$8600 for 5 years of insurance insurance on all 3 of my vehicles doesn't add up to that in 5 years!!!
Old 11-06-06, 07:23 PM
nighthawk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fly2low
It is only the sum of several means. They are very near to each other. To really understand the distribution, we need to know the standard deviation. This is to the very minimum. In addition, we don't know how large is the sample size and whether they represent the same population. There is no evidence about the significance level, either. So, to say that one is better than the other with about 2% difference in mean, without knowing anything else, is very dubious.

There are also more variables that we need to account for. Lexus doesn't cover maintenance, but they don't force us to pay for higher premium upfront. We can think of it as a force contract planted to the car's price in which we are taxed fully (instead of just taxed on the parts and not taxed on the labor rate). In addition, "repairs" section also indicate a difference although we can't confirm anything without the evidence that I mentioned in the previous paragraph. There are more sections uncovered in this reply, such as insurance, etc.

However, the most important thing is the subjective factor of the enjoyment in driving the car. These 2 cars belong to premium level class. Hence, there are many subjective preferences taken into the equations. If economy is the highest priority, Toyota and Honda will surely love our business.
There really is no need to talk so complicated.....A simple buisness communication class would teach you that most people probably skipped your post because of the twisty wording.

Not trying to be mean but just saying that if you want your post read then you should post it so most will read it. Not saying they can't, just they won't because its so wordy.
Old 11-11-06, 07:00 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nighthawk
There really is no need to talk so complicated.....A simple buisness communication class would teach you that most people probably skipped your post because of the twisty wording.

Not trying to be mean but just saying that if you want your post read then you should post it so most will read it. Not saying they can't, just they won't because its so wordy.
The verbosity of the post isn't the primary problem, IMO. Personally, I also refuse to write posts for people with 10 second attention spans. I figure an attention span and reading comprehension are skills that go hand in hand.

The fact that the first paragraph reads like a machine translation of a statistics textbook from pre-war Germany is where he is missing the boat.

The last paragraph appears to be the only one on topic, and as you pointed out few would make it that far.
=========================================================
And Zephyr I knew what you were saying with that cliche' (ignorance is..) I was just turning it on its head a bit there to make another point. Clearly, not dwelling on the unpleasant aspects (depreciation) of something that brings you pleasure (new car) is hardly a dumb move.

Last edited by CRB; 11-11-06 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-11-06, 07:32 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CRB
=========================================================
And Zephyr I knew what you were saying with that cliche' (ignorance is..) I was just turning it on its head a bit there to make another point. Clearly, not dwelling on the unpleasant aspects (depreciation) of something that brings you pleasure (new car) is hardly a dumb move.

oh ok, ya..text isn't really easy to understand sometimes what others are trying to get across..