IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Am I the only one with buyers remorse? Could use help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-06 | 06:46 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 15951
I admittedly didn't sift through every post, but just in case it hasn't been said, the dealer cannot keep a deposit if you change your mind. That's called stealing.

I asked that question before I special ordered my IS350, and the dealer told me point blank that the law frowns upon stealing customer cash. The choice is yours, but don't let a deposit make your decision. I'd rather you choose the G and be happy than to post ad nauseum after you buy about how miserable you are with your purchase.
Even if they can't keep a deposit if the buyer welshes on the deal I do believe the buyer has some duty to see the deal through unless there are extraordinary circumstances. If the buyer loses his job, or is forced to move overseas, or something like that I can see negating the deal. But in this case he is just wooed by another pretty face. By backing out of this deal it just adds a piece of ammunition for the dealer to NOT want to special order vehicles in the future. If everyone can come in and special order a vehicle and then just say 'Never mind' when they find something else, or another car at a better price, we'll slowly choke this avenue off. It's common belief that a dealer is screwing the buyer, but they are trying to run a business (an expensive one at that). A cancellation like this just is a headache they don't need. If the buyer doesn't want the car he doesn't have to buy it, but going in and demanding the full deposit back because of buyer's remorse would leave a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 11-09-06 | 11:40 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Sorry, can't relate to OP's situation. We're talking about a 40k+ purchase, not a 9.99 music CD. You buy CDs on impulse, a momentary whim - you make large ticket purchases (cars, boats, homes) by doing due diligence and researching the hell out of it. I understand the concept of Buyer's Remorse, but not for a 40k car, or even a 5k central AC system for your home - you gotta do the work and you gotta know all the issues. I'm not sure how an internet forum of relative strangers (no offense to fellow members) should be the deciding factor on purchasing a car. If I say you should buy stock XYZ because it will quadruple in value in 6 months - who in their right mind will go out and sink their life savings into it ?!? Bottom line, OP needs to do the research and due diligence NOW, for himself, and I'm certain the correct decision will materialize once he has all the facts and answers.
Old 11-09-06 | 12:22 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by socalJD
Sorry, can't relate to OP's situation. We're talking about a 40k+ purchase, not a 9.99 music CD. You buy CDs on impulse, a momentary whim - you make large ticket purchases (cars, boats, homes) by doing due diligence and researching the hell out of it. I understand the concept of Buyer's Remorse, but not for a 40k car, or even a 5k central AC system for your home - you gotta do the work and you gotta know all the issues. I'm not sure how an internet forum of relative strangers (no offense to fellow members) should be the deciding factor on purchasing a car. If I say you should buy stock XYZ because it will quadruple in value in 6 months - who in their right mind will go out and sink their life savings into it ?!? Bottom line, OP needs to do the research and due diligence NOW, for himself, and I'm certain the correct decision will materialize once he has all the facts and answers.

Well said. And go drive the cars back to back!! Hell, drag the G35 over to the Lexus dealership and line them up!
Old 11-10-06 | 12:31 AM
dmz
Rookie

I think it's hard to ignore the great value you get on G35. For the price of a IS250 you can get a 300+HP 2nd gen G35 with roomier interior and better acceleration and handling performance. The only part that the Lexus has is the slight better interior and softer smoother ride. Since you are making such a big investment, you owe youself to test drive a G35 before you make a final decision.
Old 11-10-06 | 05:10 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Even if they can't keep a deposit if the buyer welshes on the deal I do believe the buyer has some duty to see the deal through unless there are extraordinary circumstances.
If you haven't signed a contract, then I don't see how a dealership could make you buy the car. If the car was something that the dealership would have trouble trying to sell (like a pink Pontiac Aztek), then I could see them putting up a stink. But we're talking about a car that dealers can't even keep in stock because of the high demand. Any decent dealership should have no problems with cancelling this deal, and giving the guy his deposit back.
Old 11-10-06 | 05:30 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 200000

Originally Posted by ff_
If you haven't signed a contract, then I don't see how a dealership could make you buy the car. If the car was something that the dealership would have trouble trying to sell (like a pink Pontiac Aztek), then I could see them putting up a stink. But we're talking about a car that dealers can't even keep in stock because of the high demand. Any decent dealership should have no problems with cancelling this deal, and giving the guy his deposit back.

My dealership and many others in the area have at least 10-20 IS250/AWD's on the lot. Some still from 06. The dealership should not have to eat the cost of finding a buyer for a customized car. The dealer could be curteous and give the deposit back, but I would be surprised if they did. The purchaser could find someone else to takeover his spot, but that might be difficult.
Old 11-10-06 | 06:51 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VikDiddy

My dealership and many others in the area have at least 10-20 IS250/AWD's on the lot. Some still from 06. The dealership should not have to eat the cost of finding a buyer for a customized car. The dealer could be curteous and give the deposit back, but I would be surprised if they did. The purchaser could find someone else to takeover his spot, but that might be difficult.
Are they already sold, though? When I bought mine, they had 10-20 on the lot too. But they were already pre-sold.

How customized is the car?
Old 11-10-06 | 01:49 PM
IRCRomeo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by socalJD

I'm not going to cancel, I'm not that type of person. It took me SEVEN weeks of research and calling FOURTEEN dealers to get my car the way I want it.

I'm just a bit jealous of some of the G35's features. None of the specs were released until about a week ago but I already ordered the car a month ago.
Old 11-10-06 | 02:01 PM
IRCRomeo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ff_
Are they already sold, though? When I bought mine, they had 10-20 on the lot too. But they were already pre-sold.

How customized is the car?
IS250 RWD auto
Black/black
Premium pack
Nav
Xenons
Headlamp washers
Park assist
Ground effects kit
Spoiler
Old 11-10-06 | 04:34 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

IMHO, they'd have NO problems moving your special order. Black/black, Nav, Hids & PA are highly desirable.

When I bought my IS350 in June, I got it off the lot since I didn't want to wait for a special order. In fact if they had a IS250 equipped exactly like mine (Sport, Nav, ML), I would've bought it in a heartbeat . . .