IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My NAVI IS STUPID!! Someone must have dropped it in the factory

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-06 | 11:53 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

I guess I can't relate. My Nav works flawlessly. I've had no issues traveling on routes that I know or to destinations that I'm not familiar with. The Nav does have trouble distinguishing b/w regular hiway lanes or the carpool (HOV) lane, but it's nothing that I'd complain about . . .
Old 11-07-06 | 12:10 PM
waynetech2
Pole Position

Default this is how i fixed mine

what i did was change the speed settings(menu-setup-set speed) so my residential was like 20mph and my main street also like 25 mph and freeway 65mph..so you trick the nav into realizing how slow main streets really are...worked for me
Old 11-07-06 | 12:26 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Hmm...not at all what I have experienced thus far with my Navi unit. Mine has worked perfect so far. It has even done a few things that have made me and wife look at each other and say "damn, this thing is really smart". I have used mine around Atlanta where I live and on a couple of weekend trips through some pretty small towns. Could not be happier with the performance.
We even took the Lexus up a mountain on a gravel/dirt road through a national park on an Elk hunting adventure. Her idea btw. We were truly in the middle of no man's land. Anyway, the Navi keep showing me my route and even let me know that the road surface was not paved!

Also, I have mapped out routes many times and then made a detour. The Navi remaps a route for me and keeps on rolling. I would say that it rolls with the punches VERY well. Not the case in my friends gen 4 in his LS.

I would suggest having the dealer look at it and maybe comparing it with another unit. Take another IS off the lot and see if it does the same thing on one of your known screwed up routes.
Old 11-07-06 | 12:34 PM
Kepeli
Pole Position

Glam, I am with you. Lexus nav is horrible. I'll select my home address and let it calculate the route when it guides me to make a turn that does not make sense I ignore it and watch it recalculate a new route. After it recalculates, the new route's arrival time drops 10 minutes. Honda's nav is much better than this one.
Old 11-07-06 | 12:43 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 200000

Mine works flawlessly. It is a bit hard to get used to at first, but it has directed me properly through the city of chicago and the burbs. I am glad I got it.
Old 11-07-06 | 01:50 PM
hashs99
Driver

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
Mine works flawlessly. It is a bit hard to get used to at first, but it has directed me properly through the city of chicago and the burbs. I am glad I got it.
same here, make sure to check your route preferences.
Old 11-07-06 | 01:58 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

I cannot stress enough how important it is to set your route preferences. This can make a huge difference.
Old 11-07-06 | 02:54 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Seems like something wrong with the software. I would HIGHLY recommend you take it to the dealer and tell him to look at it. Most probably, it will need to be reset it. OR, install a new map using another CD.
Old 11-07-06 | 03:29 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

While my Nav is working just fine, there have been ocassions where the routing was not exactly the best. You have to work with the nav and tweak it a bit here and there and THEN if it doesn't work well for you, I would surmise there's a problem.

All the roads in Kansas are mostly straight, left and right, up and down. Can't really go wrong...but a few times, I can see some obvious mistakes.
Old 11-07-06 | 05:13 PM
sam
Driver School Candidate

I don't know what you guys are talking about?? I think the Lexus Nav works flawlessly.

Even when I got lost for 1.5hrs in the ocean. It was still telling me where to turn and which exits to take.

Last edited by sam; 11-07-06 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-27-06 | 05:16 PM
aldunham
Driver School Candidate

Well, my '07 IS250 is retarded. Driving from West Palm Beach to Tampa, this Navi tries to route me through Orlando! That's like an hour out of the way. Yes, I fiddled with the speed settings. One of the problems is that it doesn't distinguish between highways and interstates. You get three options for speed settings (I can't recall the exact names): Residential, regular, and interstate. What about highways? It thinks those are regular streets, so it thinks I'll only be going 45 mph on those. Retarded. I used a Garmin Streetpilot III for the past several years. Lexus has got NOTHING on Garmin. I have to say, this is the biggest disappointment for me. Outside of the Nav unit, it's a great car.
Old 11-27-06 | 05:25 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

I haven't had many problems with my NAV. It works well in the situations I've had to rely on it. But I have found that sometimes on the easiest routes it will calculate an odd route.

But you must keep this in mind .....You can't blindly follow the NAV. It's an aid, not a replacement for common sense. When you really think about it, it is remarkable it works at all. All of the roads, POI's and other data are loaded onto that invisible DVD and then it relys on triangulation with orbiting satellites to mesh with that DVD data to display it and guide you visually and verbally. If someone had conceived of this 50 years ago when Sputnik first went up nobody would have believed it possible. Couple this with XM satellite radio, and the ability to plug in a device called an iPod with 20,000 songs loaded on it for entertainment, well, I'll cut some slack if the system doesn't work quite right all of the time.
Old 11-27-06 | 05:35 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Smile

Originally Posted by Bichon
There is also a page of route preferences, where you can choose to avoid highways, toll roads, etc. A poor selection there could also result in some bad route choices.
Pay close attention to Bichon--he is absolutely correct. Early on, I entered a destination that I thought would have routed me on the PA turnpike. For some reason, the nav system routed me down a two lane road with many lights. It made us late for a wedding (we missed the ceremony)--wife was not too happy. I too thought the nav system was retarded until I checked the settings. Somehow it was set to avoid toll roads. Removed that restriction and have had no problems since that time.

In any event, a word of advice to anyone who thinks they can rely on a nav system to always take the best route. Every nav system has its quirks and none will always take the best route. On long trips, I always cross check with mapquest and a paper map. This helps to avoid known congestion spots near major metropolitan areas. You can also map to intermediate points to force the nav system to take a more efficient route.

Remember, a nav system is not a replacement for the human brain (at least one that's functioning properly).
Old 11-27-06 | 05:38 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Our Lexus NAVI works very well, and IMO it is one of the best in the business.

However, on some occasions it did give very strange routes. This happened when we selected a route, but then did not 'proceed to the highlighted route' -- instead entered a different highway, street etc. Then the NAVI gave us a circuitous route, because it was trying to get us to proceed to the original route choice.

Resetting the destination and route choice did the trick, and we were back on track with a straightforward, direct navigational system.
Old 11-27-06 | 06:05 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Easy... Just take your car to the dealer and tell him to look up: EL013-06 NAVIGATION SYSTEM SHOWS VEHICLE IN WRONG LOCATION - (Some customers may experience a condition with their navigation system, where the vehicle icon is intermittently shown on the map in the wrong location). A special DVD map disc with a revised operating system has been developed to remedy this condition....

I'm not sure if the hack that lets you use the nav while you drive will work with this upgrade...

ps, my nav works great!

Quick Reply: My NAVI IS STUPID!! Someone must have dropped it in the factory