IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Grrrr... someone stole my valve stem covers

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-06, 05:36 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Grrrr... someone stole my valve stem covers

OK, minor annoyance but last Saturday someone swiped all four valve stem covers off my IS 250. I can't say exactly when it happened but I think it happened while I was at a restaurant eating.

Fortunately I didn't have the gold or chrome plated caps $$$... which makes me wonder why someone would swipe them??? The parts department thought it was odd too, they said they've had a lot of people in the Houston area having those stolen. Makes me think it was a kid... anyway it was twenty dollars I'd rather not have had to spend.

So this time I put them on with a wrench... at least the little bastards will have to work to get em off if they try it again. Well at least it wasn't the Lexus badges off the car.

Just though I'd give everybody in the Houston area the heads up since this seems to be an issue.
Old 11-07-06, 05:41 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

I am going toward Houston after the start of the new year. Maybe I'll leave my baby at home and steal my moms Camry.
Old 11-07-06, 07:06 AM
SILes300
Driver

So this time I put them on with a wrench... at least the little bastards will have to work to get em off if they try it again. Well at least it wasn't the Lexus badges off the car.
Exactly, after my friend's Ferrari valve stem covers were stolen ($80, they have the prancing horse on them ) I tighten mine with a wrench and a cloth.
Old 11-07-06, 10:32 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow.. some people have no life lol.

I had one disappeared off my dad's Camry (standard black plastic cover, nothing fancy). I just went to the dealer and asked for a replacement and they gave it to me...for free.
Old 11-07-06, 11:51 AM
jzalkin
Rookie

Both mine and my wife's (Saab 9-3) were stolen a couple of months ago.
Old 11-07-06, 12:46 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 244 Posts

When I had my Audi, I lived in fear that my HID lights would be stolen. (They never were, but I read dozens of accounts of thefts on both Audiworld and in the local papers of less lucky S4 owners). At least the 2IS doesn't seem to be a target for HID light theft. While it is always disheartening to hear that anyone here was the victim of crime, having the valve stem caps swiped is not so bad compared to what could happen.
Old 11-07-06, 12:52 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have those ones with the 'L' on them and they give you a little 'key' but what exactly does that do? you can't just twist them off, supposedly you need the key thing to take them off.
Old 11-07-06, 02:01 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

someone stole ONE of mine the other day. I was like WTF? Who steals one valve stem cover?
Old 11-07-06, 02:31 PM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Hahahaha... That's crazy. Why do people do such thing?
Old 11-07-06, 03:17 PM
Khackey
Driver School Candidate

People like to play pranks. A few yrs ago they stole it off my honda and I replaced it with the cheep rubber ones and they took those too(tiwice). I finally gave up and moved.
Old 11-07-06, 05:45 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

people used to take the $1.99 chrome ones off of my camry almost every other day..they would get the drivers side the first day..and then come back and get the passenger side the next day..i thought it was so strange..becuase they are so cheap to buy lol...i have a park right by my house tho, so it must've been the kids that ride their bikes past...
so with the lex i bought the "locking" lexus logo valve covers and i havent had any of them taken in the 4 months that i've had them on
Old 11-08-06, 06:05 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CaThaFeR
so with the lex i bought the "locking" lexus logo valve covers and i havent had any of them taken in the 4 months that i've had them on
Hmmmm, I didn't know they were an available option... I might have to check into those. Thanks everybody for the heads-up on them.

As Bichon said it could have definitely been worse....
Old 11-08-06, 06:39 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Originally Posted by SerKevin
Hmmmm, I didn't know they were an available option... I might have to check into those. Thanks everybody for the heads-up on them.

As Bichon said it could have definitely been worse....
heres a link for them if you're interested

http://www.autoattire.com/locking-valve-stem-caps.html
Old 11-08-06, 07:16 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

CaThaFeR,

Thanks for the link, most appreciated.
Old 11-08-06, 09:55 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

Cathafer and I should be on commission for that company. After her initial recommendation, I've steered them a ton of business too. I'd highly recommend them. I've had these locking stem caps from them for about nine months now. Don't mind the rust on the brakes, just washed the car.

Quick Reply: Grrrr... someone stole my valve stem covers