IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Insurance Question: Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-06, 01:29 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on lots of variables. I'm 25, live in a coastal socal town, have no accidents/tickets on my record yet i'm paying $2300/year (full coverage, theft, etc). I need to shop around a bit, but what holds me back is some insurance companies now use hard pulls on your credit; which blows because i hate having pulls done unless it's absolutely necessary (like a loan).
Old 11-14-06, 01:46 PM
LexusRX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 30 and paying around 350/6 month. No Tickets/accidents
100/300 cov with 250/1000 ded. I have a engeneer and multi car/home discounts.
Old 11-14-06, 05:17 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There are no hard and fast rules regarding insurance. Rates vary all over the map. You have to shop, shop, shop.

I had Geico insurance for over five years (no claims) and when I wanted to add the IS to my policy they quoted me a high premium, in my opinion. I shopped around and got a quote from Progressive that was 25% less than Geico for the same coverage. Did it all online. Geico keeps advertising how good their rates are, but in the end they aren't that good. It's all clever advertising. Hell, Geico is owned by Warren Buffett's group and he doesn't give anything away. Keep shopping.
Old 11-14-06, 05:19 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

To the OP, you have 3 strikes against you (at least in CA for car ins):
- you're under 30
- you're male
- you're single
For some reason, CA insurers think that men that are single and under 30 inherently are riskier than single women the same age or married men over 30 (go figure)

I have Mercury, been with them for the last 10 yrs. Great service, decent pricing and give mutiple discounts (multi policy, multi car, good driver, student, professional ie engineer, Dr, etc). Only drawback is they have a very short leash - you get 3 moving violations in a 6 mo period they'll either drop you or raise your rates accordingly . . . caveat emptor
Old 11-14-06, 05:23 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had GEICO since mid-1980s.

$560/6months
Old 11-14-06, 05:24 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jewel
I'm a 24 year old single engineer with masters degree. 0 tickets, 1 accident (last august) in 8 years of driving. My premiums were at 1035/6month prior to accident, and now the company wants 2567 for the next 6 months and will stay at this rate for 3 years

Is this typical? The accident was my fault, and cost 5k to repair...

shopping around now, and im finding prices that are even better than the 1035 that i was originally paying...
go figure?

Anyone have mercury auto insurance? Theyre quoting me 800/6 months...
I'm not sure I understand the issue. Your insurance is going up drastically, and you've found a reputable company that is quoting an even lower rate than what you had to begin with. Sounds like a slam dunk to me - switch.

Old 11-14-06, 05:25 PM
Soda
Pole Position

Allstate, 250,000/500,000 coverage 500 coll deduct 250 comp, 253 mo with an 06 IS350, 06 Honda S2000, & 06 F-150 crew cab 4x4. I'm 27 no tickets or accidents in 5yrs but my boyfriend has one at fault accident w/in 5yrs. I was paying 405 at progressive a few months ago! Well I have the homewoners discount also though which is 10%. But it's still good and also a good company!!
Old 11-14-06, 06:28 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Engineer - AAA - 2300/year
No accidents on record / 25 yrs

I added another car which brought it down to 1800 total for two cars and put msyelf as primary driver for the old car. It's full coverage btw
Old 11-14-06, 08:03 PM
guynorib
Driver School Candidate

That chargeable accident is going to impact your premium for the next three years as your current insurance company indicates. If you are obtaining quotes, and I would do this as a matter of course every two to three years, you should explain about the chargeable accident right up front. The problem is that if you don't come clean and the company gives you a better rate thinking you are accident and violation free, they can re-rate the policy after it is written based on the new underwriting information which they most likely will receive after binding coverage on the new policy. You see most insurance companies share underwriting information as a matter of routine. If this happens then you are taking a significant risk of higher premiums.
Another matter is the policy renewal date. If you've already renewed and choose to cancel the policy, the carrier can apply a short-rate cancellation penalty using the rule of 78's. This is especially onerous in the first few months of a policy.
You mention the price for the coverage but didn't specify the limits of liability and deductibles. These will have a significant impact on what you pay. My suggestion is to obtain enough liabilty coverage to protect your assets if a major liabilty claim were to be made against you and raise your physical damage deductibles as high as you can or the lienholder will allow. That would be the best use of your insurance premiums.
I'm not sure where you are in Cali but you might try the Auto Club and see what they offer. I've had good luck with them.
Anyway, hope this helps.
Old 11-14-06, 09:59 PM
lirandy
Pit Crew

I go with State Farm also, very good service and price
I am 25 married male with 2 traffic violation records (no points deducted), no accident. 100/300/50 liability, $100 comprehensive, $1000 collision, 30/60 UM, no rental for my wife's RX350 and my IS250 for $250/mo (my wife has clean record tho). Recently got a IS350 instead and haven't update my insurance yet. But should be around another $15 extra per month.
Old 11-14-06, 11:35 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Mercury is not that bad of a company. I've had them for over 6 years. 2 accident claims and they've helped me though it without too much hassle (I did have to stay on their *** during the last one since it was road debris that flew in fron of my car but they were always helpful). I always have a couple of tickets on my record and they are by far the cheapest. Also I think your rates will go down when you turn 25, I know mine did.
Old 11-14-06, 11:37 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrMut
Depends on lots of variables. I'm 25, live in a coastal socal town, have no accidents/tickets on my record yet i'm paying $2300/year (full coverage, theft, etc). I need to shop around a bit, but what holds me back is some insurance companies now use hard pulls on your credit; which blows because i hate having pulls done unless it's absolutely necessary (like a loan).
True dat! When I moved from Laguna Beach to San Clemente (just a few miles down the coast), my insurance went up $200/yr just because of the change in zipcode.
Old 11-14-06, 11:46 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
I'm with state farm...and they really do take care of you like family. You see their commercials and most of the time you say what kind of company would do that? Well state farm may be a little more pricey on its rates. But they really do take care of you.
I get a birthday card every year from my agent, seriously they are one of the better rated for customer service, there is something to be said about dealing directly with an agent then someone on the phone. Customer service to me is worth the extra money.
Old 11-15-06, 10:18 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Wawanesa: $1300/year for the IS350 and Maxima. Single, male, 23 years old.

Wawanesa seems to be cheapest insurance I have found. I haven't heard of anything bad of them either.

Last edited by teejnut; 11-16-06 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-15-06, 10:28 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
Had GEICO since mid-1980s.

$560/6months
Geico donates laser and radar guns to police departments so that they can write more speeding tickets.

I don't care how cheap they are, nor how cute their talking gecko is, I won't have them.

Quick Reply: Insurance Question: Is this normal?