IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Insurance Question: Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-06, 08:43 AM
guynorib
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Geico donates laser and radar guns to police departments so that they can write more speeding tickets.

I don't care how cheap they are, nor how cute their talking gecko is, I won't have them.
I'm with you Bichon. I was insured with Geico in '78 with a '78 Trans Am TA 6.6 in Okla. City when I was transferred to L. A. Geico promptly non-renewed the policy saying they didn't provide coverage in Cali at the time. Left me high and dry and they could do the same again. That's with no tickets or accidents.
Old 11-16-06, 10:21 AM
vertcobra9
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default damn...

damn your deffinately getting screwed... i have a terrible record... 1 accident and like 3 speeding tickets in the past 5 years and i pay a little over 2000 a year with USAA with full coverage and 500 dollar deductable.
Old 11-16-06, 10:59 AM
dk0515
Pole Position

Im 22 and I used to pay $900 full coverage at State Farm every 6 months, but early this year i got a ticket for entering the car pool lane on solid lines, then 2 days after got a speeding ticket for going 83mph in a 65. Now i pay $3200 every 6 months. I just dropped my insurance from full to liability because of this price about 3 days ago. Don't know how much I am paying now. Also, the next day after my speeding ticket, I got pulled over for tinted windows. But, before all of these I had only 1 ticket sinces i was 15 years old for speeding going 50 in a 35.

I also got a letter from the DMV saying I am considered one of the worst drivers in CA. Becuase of all the tickets, even though I have never been in an accident.

I think State Farm is a little pricey but they do take good care of you. Very fast services and very professional.

Last edited by dk0515; 11-16-06 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-16-06, 03:36 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Geico donates laser and radar guns to police departments so that they can write more speeding tickets.

I don't care how cheap they are, nor how cute their talking gecko is, I won't have them.
Who cares. That's the oldest saddest "story" in the insurance industry, people should stop repeating it...it's like saying Clinton had sex in the White House. Means nothing. Have you heard the one about St Farm not paying hurricane victims after Katrina slammed ashore? I mean, who even knows if YOUR insurance wrote a big check to the FOP so they can godforbid enforce the law upon you and you haven't found out about it so I guess it doesn't matter since you don't know, right? Does Allstate donate to the NRA?
Old 11-16-06, 03:43 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by guynorib
I'm with you Bichon. I was insured with Geico in '78 with a '78 Trans Am TA 6.6 in Okla. City when I was transferred to L. A. Geico promptly non-renewed the policy saying they didn't provide coverage in Cali at the time. Left me high and dry and they could do the same again. That's with no tickets or accidents.

You're mad at an insurance company when they drop you for no reason at all? Yeah, GEICO invented that.

BTW, GEICO in 78 is a different company today. Probably one of the finest insurance company around. And we want to keep it that way.
Old 11-16-06, 04:21 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
I mean, who even knows if YOUR insurance wrote a big check to the FOP so they can godforbid enforce the law upon you and you haven't found out about it so I guess it doesn't matter since you don't know, right? Does Allstate donate to the NRA?
I have NJ Manufacturers. When they have extra money, they don't write a check to the FOP, they write checks to their policyholders in the form of dividend checks.

Originally Posted by kensteele
Probably one of the finest insurance company around. And we want to keep it that way.
I don't know anyone who has had NJM insurance that doesn't rave about it. The same cannot be said of my acquaintances that have had Geico.
Old 11-16-06, 04:44 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

I have NJ Manufacturers. When they have extra money, they don't write a check to the FOP, they write checks to their policyholders in the form of dividend checks.

I don't know anyone who has had NJM insurance that doesn't rave about it. The same cannot be said of my acquaintances that have had Geico.
Simple solution, insure with Geico and invest in Berkshire Hathaway - you get the best of both worlds. Did you know that in the 30+ yrs that Buffet ran BH, they only lost money in 1 year !?! That's simply astounding, I cannot think of another major corp that can say the same - I wish I had a few shares of BH class A . . .
Old 11-16-06, 05:40 PM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

When it comes to auto insurance... there is an upside to reaching middle age.

I pay $591/yr. with Progressive for my '06 IS350.
Full coverage, 100/300/50, $250 comp/$500 collision, rental & towing, I'm 38, married, and have clean record. My wife has one ticket and one accident on her record. Cheaper than my '98 Tacoma, and only slightly more than our '01 RX300.
Old 11-16-06, 05:42 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

geico is one of those companies that you either love them or you hate them. i happen to love them.

i have been continuously auto insured with geico since 1985. never, ever, never had insurance with any other company.

despite everything i have done, and it would take a long long post to describe it all, they have never threatened to drop me, discontinue my insurance, or raise my rates. my rates have been steadily dropping for many many years, no matter the car i drive, they've paid all of my claims and still haven't raised but instead have decreased my premium, they've allowed me to have higher than usually deductibles on vehicles with lienholders, they've replaced a bunch of windshields/glass, all kinds of thefts, fender benders, they let me put 25,000 miles a year on a past cars with no excess, i won't even begin to talk about all the other stuff. they forgive your first accident during certain periods, they disclose the terms and conditions that cause you to accumulate points, they tell you what traffic violations will cost you...and they recognize all the good driver and safety discounts.

so if you never hear anyone rave about them, you're hearing it now. geico is the finest insurance company any one person can possibly ask for. their service is great and their rates are not the lowest in town but they have never ever so much as done on bad or unfair thing to me...in 21 years. And that doesn't even count the 4-5 years that I was on my father's geico policy.

if they purchase 50 laser guns and ship them to the ohio state police, i could care less...i guess too bad for ohio residents and people who speed on the turnpike. speed enforcement in kansas is virtually non-existant.
Old 11-17-06, 12:13 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jewel
I'm a 24 year old single engineer with masters degree. 0 tickets, 1 accident (last august) in 8 years of driving. My premiums were at 1035/6month prior to accident, and now the company wants 2567 for the next 6 months and will stay at this rate for 3 years

Is this typical? The accident was my fault, and cost 5k to repair...

shopping around now, and im finding prices that are even better than the 1035 that i was originally paying...
go figure?

Anyone have mercury auto insurance? Theyre quoting me 800/6 months...
GEICO's pretty good at rates.