Need help! Winshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-06, 04:40 PM
Crazy Yoda
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need help! Winshield replacement

Hi all...

Two days after I got my IS350 a rock hit my wiendshield on the expressway right where the vin number is located. It hit with enough force that the rock embeded into the windshield just like a bb. I have had a 50 cent size damaged area and for the last few weeks I have fought with my insurance company over whom is going to replace my windsheld and the cost of the work.

I live in Florida so by law the insurance company must replace your damaged winshield. Now I called my Lexus dealer, Lexus of Tampa, and they refered me to their glass replacement company, Novus Glass, who told the insurance company that the replacement cost would be about $1100.00.

Now Novus glass told me that in order for the windshield to be replaced properly they use a "special" sealant, provided by Lexus, and the car needs to sit all night to dry. They also stated that the IS350 has multiple clips and other parts that are requied to replace the windshield.

Now my insurance company will only authorize a payment of $616.00 for the replacement of the windshield. This would be through "Safelite".

http://www.safelite.com/

Now Safelite is a reputable company but I questioned them on how they could do it for so cheap and the methods they would use. After about an hour on the phone I got them to use Lexus OEM glass over any other glass and they will also get the "kit" required for the car. The "kit" is all of the clips, screws etc as well as the glass sealant. Now they told me the IS350 does not have any special sealant and does not have to dry overnight.

Now I can take the $616.00 and get it done at Lexus or go with Safelite for the repair with nothing out of pocket. Now I do not mind spending the money if the repair will be better from Lexus.

So....

Has anyone had this issue before and how was the repair done?
Does the IS350 use special sealant for the glass ?

If anyone has gone through this and can offer me an opinion I would appreciate it. Also if anyone out there has a manual that shows the glass installation and could give me some insight I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks in advance for the help...I am in a real bind over this.
Old 11-14-06, 04:42 PM
Crazy Yoda
Pole Position

Ugh double post please ignore and post on the other one...moderator will you please remove this thread. TY
Old 11-14-06, 04:46 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't safelite an OEM supplier to manufacturers? I think they are, but I'm not sure if they are for Lexus. FWIW...
Old 11-15-06, 07:40 PM
BSQRD
Driver School Candidate

I had my windshield hit by an unknown object and it caused a ~2in diameter impact area. Took it to the dealer and had it replaced. Cost was about $1100. Now here are two things I learned. The windshields for the Lux model and Sport model are different. Don't know any specifics but learned about it when the dealer told me they ordered the wrong windshield and I had to wait for one to come in. You might ask about this. Also if you have the rain sensor, check it out when they are done. I found that after replacement, when i hit a bump or bumped it with my hand putting up my sunshield it would make the wipers sweep a couple of times. I don't think it gets put back as tight as it is from the factory. Even had them replace the sensor but it still causes a wiper sweep now and then.
Old 11-15-06, 10:42 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by dkaplan435
Isn't safelite an OEM supplier to manufacturers? I think they are, but I'm not sure if they are for Lexus. FWIW...
Sure you aren't thinking of CarLite, the name on Ford glass?

Safelite is the biggest player in the windshield replacement industry, but I don't believe they make any OEM glass.