IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need help! Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-06 | 10:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,085 Likes on 2,476 Posts

This is from the factory service manual. If you use the OEM sealant, these are the wait times:

Code:
Temperature           Minimum time prior to driving vehicle
35°C (95°F)           1 hour 30 minutes
20°C (68°F)           5 hours
5°C (41°F)            24 hours
Old 11-14-06 | 10:41 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishman06
Lexus OEM glass isn't (sadly, I really like the company) made by PPG.
On the Audi forum, lots of people have had problems with PPG replacements recently. Apparently they are now made in China, and at least for their Audi B5 glass, fit rather poorly.
Old 11-15-06 | 06:11 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When you renew your insurance, have a rider or addendum written in to replace any damaged parts with original OEM parts, no substitutes.

Mine added $14 per six month renewal.

It takes the guesswork from the agent and the appraiser.

If the insurance company doesn't agree to this, find another company.

I'm of the belief that if a Lexus windshield is to be replaced, a Lexus windshield is to be reinstalled.
Old 11-15-06 | 09:18 AM
Crazy Yoda
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tammy
When you renew your insurance, have a rider or addendum written in to replace any damaged parts with original OEM parts, no substitutes.

Mine added $14 per six month renewal.

It takes the guesswork from the agent and the appraiser.

If the insurance company doesn't agree to this, find another company.

I'm of the belief that if a Lexus windshield is to be replaced, a Lexus windshield is to be reinstalled.
Thanks for that information....I think I will do that....will save me all of these problems.
Old 11-15-06 | 09:19 AM
Crazy Yoda
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This is from the factory service manual. If you use the OEM sealant, these are the wait times:

Code:
Temperature           Minimum time prior to driving vehicle
35°C (95°F)           1 hour 30 minutes
20°C (68°F)           5 hours
5°C (41°F)            24 hours
Thanks for all the information from the manuals I will use this to make sure they do the job right.
Old 11-15-06 | 09:45 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by juncho
Sorry to hear about your windshield.

I also got a crack on my IS350 after just 2 months of ownership. It was a crack about the size of 1 quarter in the middle of the windshield. I couldn't justify to myself on paying my deductible to replace the windshield so I opted to get it fixed free w/o any deductible from my insurance company.

The crack is still visible but at least the crack won't spread.
Lucky for us in FL if you have full coverage, our insurance co has to replace the windsheild like Crazy Yoda said. To be honest, Id rather have a reputable glass shop replace my windsheild over the Lexus dealer any day especially if they are having one of their Lexus techs do it. The installers at a glass shop deal with this day in and day out versus a Lexus tech, who may have never had to replace a windshield before. I say have them use OEM glass and have a good glass shop do the labor. AFAIK, there is no aftermarket glass for our IS yet anyways.... I had my passenger side window replaced about 6 months ago and had to wait 2 weeks for the replacement glass since there was no aftermarket available. good luck
Old 11-15-06 | 03:33 PM
dong888
Pole Position

Dude, sorry about the windshield. The same thing happened to me on my 350. My insurance company (21st century) replaced it ($1200 less $50 deductible) at the dealership without problem. My insurance company does not really care where I replace it as long as I fax them the receipts. I got the check within 1 week. I think the case really depends on the insurance company. My wife had to replace the rear windshield (w/ the defroster) on the Toyota Rev4 and we had to call the insurance company 10 times in order to get it. Her insurance company refused to pay for the full amount (done by dealer) and was only willing to pay for $300 something for the glass and labor. After much time spent, we finally got it replaced by Safelite with the OEM glass ordered from the dealership. Her insurance was Farmers. We were able to get the OEM glass from the dealer only because the car was less than 1 year old; otherwise, the insurance company was only willing to pay for a third party glass.

We switched her insurance company to 21st century right afterwards.
Old 11-16-06 | 04:50 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your windshield. If you say you've had your car for just two days your insurance company should replace it with an OEM glass. Aftermarket glass on a brand new car is just unacceptable. Here, in Florida, I believe that most insurance companies will waive your deductible for windshield replacement. I work for Lexus and can tell you there is no such thing as a windshield installation kit. The only parts we sell for a replacement windshield are the glass itself and the upper molding. ALL glass companies use their own sealant and there's nothing wrong with it.
Old 11-16-06 | 03:52 PM
Crazy Yoda
Pole Position

Thanks all...my insurance company stinks and they will be gone as soon as our policy runs out in three months. I have ordered the glass thru safelit and they will call when it comes in. I will post back with my thoughts on the final installation.
Old 11-17-06 | 01:24 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Yoda
Thanks all...my insurance company stinks and they will be gone as soon as our policy runs out in three months. I have ordered the glass thru safelit and they will call when it comes in. I will post back with my thoughts on the final installation.
No need to wait for your policy to run out. If you are unhappy get new insurance and cancel your old policy. They'll prorate it and refund the difference.
Old 11-25-06 | 07:55 AM
Crazy Yoda
Pole Position

Ok all they replaced the windshield today. They used all the right parts and the correct sealant.

Here is the kicker....total cost on the replacement....

$1059.00 NOT $616.00

Safelite ate the cost due to a low bid.
Cost of the windshield and the parts was $900.00...right where the other quote was. They just finished so I will post again to let you know if it is leaks or not but it looks good.

Last edited by Crazy Yoda; 11-25-06 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-25-06 | 08:38 AM
Soda
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Sorry to hear about your windshield. If you say you've had your car for just two days your insurance company should replace it with an OEM glass. Aftermarket glass on a brand new car is just unacceptable. Here, in Florida, I believe that most insurance companies will waive your deductible for windshield replacement. I work for Lexus and can tell you there is no such thing as a windshield installation kit. The only parts we sell for a replacement windshield are the glass itself and the upper molding. ALL glass companies use their own sealant and there's nothing wrong with it.
This is exactly what I got when I replaced my windshield..the glass and some moldings. No sealant or kit. I paid 742 inc tax for the OEM windshield and the moldings. Had it installed for 60 dollars at my dealership.
Old 11-26-06 | 05:53 AM
Crazy Yoda
Pole Position

Drove the car and no air leaks at all. So the install seems good at this point. Thanks to all for your help and I hope this thread can help some others out in the future.