IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Xenondepot hid common issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-06, 08:16 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i believe it's the igniter... the little thin rectangular thing.. make sure that the connection there is strong. It's hard to put it in cause of the rubber piece. I had a problem there where it felt like it was in but it wasn't. You really gots to pull the rubber piece back and put and connect it, then push the rubber piece in. If you just put the attatch with the rubber piece in place it will resist the connection and the depth or extent of the connection.

A little hard to explain , but think bout connection a plug to a regular socket at home. Now if the two prong was covered partially by the exterior rubber it's resisting a full 100% connection. You have a connection yes... but will it work all the time? no~ this may not be the case for you , but you should look into it.
Old 11-15-06, 08:25 AM
BlitzIS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

btw, i have the Xtreme Kit. so the components are different than the XD kit....fyi
Old 11-15-06, 10:42 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the thoughts guys/gals. I'll try new ground points and see if that helps. omgitsroy, yeah, i noticed that when i installed them, but they are in as far as they could go.

Glad to see i'm not the only one experiencing this!
Old 11-15-06, 11:05 AM
Tmirk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BlitzIS350
on a side note, the relay that mine came with went out on it. so i had to buy a new relay(they are not cheap at all) anyways,
I paid 13 bucks for my replacement relay from an auto parts store.
Old 11-15-06, 09:43 PM
ABC
Racer

Well it's not the grounds. I ran wires directly from the battery grounds just to test it. Same results. I took apart everything EXCEPT for the igniter connectors (ran out of time) and everything seems to be connected well. I bent some of the prongs slightly for a better connection. Tomorrow i will take out the drivers side igniter (drivers side is mainly the one with the problem) and see how that connection is.

If it is the igniter, my question is why was the connector made to be so loose? Yeah, the rubber part helps, but i'm curious why everything else has the plastic safety click part so you know it's in tightly.
Old 11-15-06, 09:50 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i was wondering the same thing... from the post above... it seems that all the connection except for the ignitor have strong clicks... I dont' understand why this connection is made so poorly. I had a really hard time trying to connect it properly. If you blindly just push it in .. it's most likly a bad connection since the rubber be in the way of the connection...
Old 11-16-06, 07:25 AM
BlitzIS350
Pole Position

tmirk- which kit do you have? the relay i have on mine is hard to find. i went to about 5 different auto parts store here and it has to be ordered or they do not make them anymore.
Old 11-16-06, 07:53 PM
ABC
Racer

Well i improved it, but didn't get rid of the problem completely. What i did was pull back on that orange rubber cover by about 1/4" so that when the wire is plugged in, it has some cable pushing on it to keep it in (and not just the orange rubber part keeping it in). That seemed to improve it. The hids now light up more times than not light up, which is better than before :-) I wonder if i bend those pins a bit if that would cure it all together. Dunno if i want to mess with them though, they seem fragile.

So i think I'm done for now unless they begin to revert back to the way it was (90% of the time, one of them not lighting). We'll see how they are over the next few days.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!! I'll keep ya posted...
Old 11-17-06, 05:42 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

MrMut,

Did you try to swap any of the components left to right? This will allow you to determine exactly what is causing the problem.

The connection to the igniter needs to be really really tight to help against water protection.

Steve

PS As much as I like posting on the forum email gets priority. If you need to get a hold of me the best way is via email (info@xenondepot.com)