IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question about Valentine One read-out and placement.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-06, 05:19 PM
sdpq
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Valentine One read-out and placement.

I just got my V1 in It is not as bulky or "ugly" as described by others. I have a few questions on proper usage. I know to place it in the middle of the windshield, but at what height? Should i put it right under the rear-view mirror or someplace else ( i do not plan on hardwiring since I will use it between two cars.) Also, I live in S.Cal, I was wondering why ppl would put it stricly on the Litlle "L" or the Big "L", why not keep it on all modes on???

I've searched the thread for this info, but nothing specific came up so I do apologize if it has been covered and I could not find it, but any help would be a great help, I want to make sure it works properly but I dont want to go out looking for cops to see if it picks em up, lol, thanks again.
Old 11-16-06, 05:28 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your v1 will work well, no matter where in your windshield you place it. the difference is minor. you don't want to block the front or the rear, you'll be fine. placing it where you can see it best is key.

the old style v1 was rather blocky/bulky.
Old 11-16-06, 07:29 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine is on the bottom left of the windshield so only i can press the buttons. works perfectly fine. don't know about the settings and such, i guess the advanced logic (big L? or whatever the standard setting is) works. i've had it for around 2 months i think and it's saved me 2 tickets so far.
Old 11-16-06, 08:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Drive with it for awhile. You'll figure out why the other modes are useful pretty quickly. I would say in most cases it's completely safe to shut off X-band completely. It has yet to be an officer in the last 4 years of using mine. I've also only once encountered K-band. Almost all of the hits that were police were Ka.

No, I won't hardwire mine either. I don't use it if I know I won't be exceeding the speed limit (as in, I'm on a fuel economy test), and there are police who target radar detector equipped cars.
Old 11-17-06, 09:43 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

I found out our City cops were operating on 'K' band as I got hit with that the other day. That was the first time I'd seen a cop on 'K' band so you never know.
Old 11-17-06, 10:30 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Drive with it for awhile. You'll figure out why the other modes are useful pretty quickly. I would say in most cases it's completely safe to shut off X-band completely. It has yet to be an officer in the last 4 years of using mine. I've also only once encountered K-band. Almost all of the hits that were police were Ka.

No, I won't hardwire mine either. I don't use it if I know I won't be exceeding the speed limit (as in, I'm on a fuel economy test), and there are police who target radar detector equipped cars.

no cops target radar detector equipped cars. it's a myth. if you look like you are speeding or you drive a fast looking car, you're going to get a second look...regardless of what you own a v1.

i find it completely impossible to drive with my v1, if i paid for it, i'm going to use it...all the time, not just some of the time. by hardwiring it and leaving the power switch to it, nothing is simpler. you don't have to worry and waste time with putting it up and down which is a hassle, especially with the mounts.

x-band you are safe to turn off after you have verified your hometown is non-x but you HAVE to turn it back on for the road trip. k and ka is everyone and no one should be turning off the k. v1 has settings to control your k experience if you have trouble in that area and your k-band radar is at a minimum but turning K off is the sign of a novice, not a hardcore detector runner.

Last edited by kensteele; 11-17-06 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-17-06, 12:37 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

yeah on the way to school today my Ka went crazy and i ended up driving by a stealthy highway patrol car (no lights on top). i haven't seen too much K, and just a little of Ka. but damn it's scary when the laser goes off. i don't plan on turning anything off and as far as i'm concerned... pressing the mute button isn't a big deal.
Old 11-17-06, 01:32 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I went from an 8500 X50 (stolen) to a V1. The V1 has MUCH more false warnings stock than the X50. The arrows are main advantage over the X50, as range is comparable. Putting it in L mode with X-Band off is what I have it set on now and its bearable.

Are the laser falses from Trailblazers, Infiniti FX's, and QX's pissing the hell out of you guys? I am about ready to fully shut off laser.
Old 11-17-06, 01:34 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

how much ar eyou guys paying for the v1?
Old 11-17-06, 02:17 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

i paid 360 shipped from someone selling it on the my.is forums. anything under $400 seems good.

the laser's i've seen were probably about half real ones and half "Trailblazers, Infiniti FX's, and QX's pissing the hell out of" me. it is annyoing with all the falses, but lasers are pretty uncommon i usually just mute for all the other bands. i haven't gotten too much X-band so i don't feel the need to disable it at the moment.
Old 11-17-06, 02:19 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

oh and if anyone's interested where i put it... heres a pic.

i think its perfect placement. easy to get to the buttons, the passenger can't mess with it, and it's easy to unplug and remove.
Old 11-17-06, 02:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
no cops target radar detector equipped cars. it's a myth.
I have a friend who is a sheriff and another two who are CHP. It's not a myth when I hear it from their mouths.
Old 11-17-06, 04:20 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I have a friend who is a sheriff and another two who are CHP. It's not a myth when I hear it from their mouths.
which is probably why they haven't caught anyone yet.