IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Moonroof rattle & Issue with dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-06, 07:19 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Moonroof rattle & Issue with dealer

My car is having like serious moonroof rattle that began 2 weeks after i drove the car off the lot. Took the car for atleast 5 times and seems like they cannot fix it, During the first attempt they installed some foam on the shade and shade won't even open since foam was getting stuck. During my Second time i dropped off my car, they kept my car for two weeks since they had to order the whole new shade and i was fine with that. Guess when i went to pick my car up, i noticed the side SRS curtain airbag panel was not clipped in all the way and now this time i am very pissed off. Even had Lexus corp involved in this issue and i told them that whats the guarantee that it will be fixed this time. My passenger seat seems to rattle as well sometimes but obviously when i took the ride with the rep from lexus corp. we were unable to duplicate the problem. Don't know what to do at this point, These rattles are driving me crazy. Owner of the dealer offered me to trade in my car for an 07, but told me i would lose at least 6-8K. I told him that's not helping me any since i can do that just at any dealer for the trade in and lose money. So what should i do to proceed this ???
Old 11-20-06, 07:25 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Never had these problems on my 95 SC300 with 200k+ miles. This is my fourth lexus and i would not like to switch my brand but these problems with my brand new car thats 4 months old, don't know what to do at this point.
Old 11-20-06, 07:55 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think a lot of us have this problem, seems fairly common. doesn't seem like there's a fix yet as far as i know. i don't wanna bring mine in for that so they can rip apart my car. when does yours rattle? mine happens when its tilted and i go over bumps, i never use it fully open so i'm not sure if it would do it then too.
Old 11-20-06, 08:04 PM
Salil022
Instructor

mine rattles even when its not opened, tilted and its annoying at the point where i can even hear when the shade is fully closed.
Old 11-20-06, 10:50 PM
.dee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing in my car, now note that although I’m in Aus. and the car is LHD, as far as I can see the roof is identical to your cars.

My rattle happened only when the roof was tilted or closed, it would go away when it was open.

If you tilt your sunroof, and then look up you'll see the water runoff plastic cover, it sits on an angle, so it would stop the water during rain from dripping in to the car. In my case, that cover was causing the rattle.

This is what I did:

Tilt sunroof
Remove the wind covers on the inside of the roof mechanism
The plastic water run off cover is held in place by a clip on either side of the sunroof glass panel and it slides on rails.
Unclip the plastic cover from the sunroof
Slide the cover forward until it comes off the rails and pull it out
You will see the plastic bits on the cover the go into the rails
Apply some masking tape or electric tape or whatever you guys call it to the plastic bits on the cover that go into the rails of the roof mechanism
Slide the Water run off cover back into the rails exactly the same way as you pulled it out

I'm on my phone at the moment, so cant post pics, but if this sounds like a solution to your problem, I will get pics and write a proper DIY.
Old 11-21-06, 12:00 AM
VanIS350
Driver School Candidate

I had the rattle problem with my 06 IS350 sunroof too; it started 3 months after picking up the car. It rattles when it's closed. I went to two dealers to fix the problem. The first dealer told me that the rubble sealing was harden over time and they attempted to fix it by applying lubricant and adjusting the position of the sunroof. After several attempts, the problem had not improved at all so I went to a second dealer. This dealer replaced the rubble sealing for me and the rattle was gone... but only for a few months. I noticed the rattle came back again last month. I wonder if anyone knows what the cause for the rattle is and how to fix it once and for all.
Old 11-21-06, 12:07 AM
IS2Fizzle
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I was the only one, until I read this thread. I'm having the same exact problems as you guys.
Old 11-21-06, 12:35 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I too have an occassional rattle from the sunroof
Old 11-21-06, 01:27 AM
Phillip31
Pole Position

ya same here....my moonroof rattles when it's tilted...i think its that plastic thing just below it when its tilted...coz it seems loose and when i go over bumps i hear it rattling....when i go to Newport Lexus for my 10k service i'll ask them to check it out
Old 11-21-06, 05:50 AM
cliverman
Driver

Default Same problem!

I went to the dealership and they said there were no "posted bulletins" from Lexus regarding this problem. They don't have a fix for it and said that no one else has complained. I asked them if I could drive a new '07 to see if it did the same thing. I drove it with the service tech in the car and it was very noticable to me but mysteriously he did hear it. IMHO, Lexus has a design flaw and doesn't want to admit it. I had a friend in the car yesterday and he said "I'll bet your C32 didn't have problems like that" and my response was "Yeah, it had problems, but Mercedes always fessed up and fixed every little squeak, rub, funky sound I heard."
Old 11-21-06, 08:22 AM
jjwalker
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine only rattles when the sunroof is tilted. It is from the plastic bar just beneath the glass, you can actually flick the bar and you will hear it rattle.

One of these days I'll look into it more and put some kind of silencer on it.
Old 11-21-06, 08:33 AM
Soda
Pole Position

Mine rattles too when tilted. I just turn the volume up on my radio...Not like they built it on purpose to do that!
Old 11-21-06, 08:47 AM
Salil022
Instructor

i absolutely love this car but seems like dealer are not doing anything about it. i asked them if it is a common issue and they are telling me no they haven't heard that rattle before. For any of you guys does dash seems to have squeak as well right around the center air conditioner vents when its cold out? i don't know if i should get a new car?
Old 11-21-06, 08:52 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

G35 owners may have the same issue. It's just the rubber seal rubbing against the metal surround.

We were able to solve the issue by applying a rubber preservative like stuff called gummi pflege.

I still have the stuff but I haven't had time/the noise doesn't bother me that much/been lazy/etc., to apply it.

I'll get some on this coming weekend and update y'all.
Old 11-21-06, 08:54 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

my sunroof sometimes doesnt want to close..rattles come from the front passenger door, every once in a while

Quick Reply: Moonroof rattle & Issue with dealer