IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Wheels Rubbing Badly....

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-06, 11:31 PM
VETTETHRET
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels Rubbing Badly....

I bought this car 8 months ago. I had 19" moven wheels installed. This is my daily driver and notmy toy car so I didnt want to spend a grip on the wheels. I didn't know it at the time, but this chitty little shop in garden grove put spacers on the front wheels. I had it lowered with Tanabi springs 2 weeks later. Now that it's settled, they are rubbing so bad in the front it's knocked my front fender loose. I am thinking of just throwing the stock wheels back on that have 100 miles on them. MY QUESTION- Is there a wheel that has the correct offset that wont set me back 3k plus? I have an 06 Viper that I have a ton of dough in and really cant afford to spend I-forged money on the Lexus wheels. I want to keep the staggered 19" set up. Any help is appreciated. I logged onto this site right after I bought the car and completeley forgot about it until today. I've checked the wheel thread but dontknow how much dough you guys spent on these set ups. Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 11-26-06, 11:36 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

did they put the spacers on without your permission? if its that bad of a problem and your vehicle is under lease, then take the spacers out. if you bought the car you can get the fenders rolled for fairly cheap. and there are venders out there, that could have helped you get the correct offset wheels so you wouldn't have encounted these problems, and thats custom offset wheels without spending an arm and a leg. the clublexus wheel vendor is d2 autosport just as an FYI. maybe you can give some info on your wheel size, tire size, staggered or not, and offset, and a fellow IS owner can chime in. gluck
Old 11-26-06, 11:37 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

remove the spacers?
Old 11-26-06, 11:43 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking if he removes the spacers, they won't clear the calipers. That would be the only logical reason that the shop would put them in, in the first place.
Old 11-27-06, 12:04 AM
VETTETHRET
Rookie

Originally Posted by cspec
I'm thinking if he removes the spacers, they won't clear the calipers. That would be the only logical reason that the shop would put them in, in the first place.

That's right. I went to take the spacers off and it wont clear the caliper. I looked for my receipt and couldnt find it. I cant remember where this shop is, I got them off e-bay. It was a little whole in the wall place. Serves me right for taking a 45k car to a dump like that. Now I 'm looking for a reasonably priced wheel. I cant rol stock but have to get these things off my car.
Old 11-27-06, 12:06 AM
VETTETHRET
Rookie

Originally Posted by nysupraman
did they put the spacers on without your permission? if its that bad of a problem and your vehicle is under lease, then take the spacers out. if you bought the car you can get the fenders rolled for fairly cheap. and there are venders out there, that could have helped you get the correct offset wheels so you wouldn't have encounted these problems, and thats custom offset wheels without spending an arm and a leg. the clublexus wheel vendor is d2 autosport just as an FYI. maybe you can give some info on your wheel size, tire size, staggered or not, and offset, and a fellow IS owner can chime in. gluck
I.m not sure on the specs but they are 19's all around. I THINK the fronts are 8's and the back 9's. The back tires are tucked and dont rub at all, its the fronts. I looked at d2's website but I dont see any Lexus on their site?
Old 11-27-06, 12:17 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm sorry but let me get this straight.

You can afford I-forged rims for the Viper but only Movens for the IS350?
Bust out your wallet for a nice set of Works man, you can get yourself a nice set of 19s for less than $3,000.
Old 11-27-06, 12:29 AM
VETTETHRET
Rookie

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
I'm sorry but let me get this straight.

You can afford I-forged rims for the Viper but only Movens for the IS350?
Bust out your wallet for a nice set of Works man, you can get yourself a nice set of 19s for less than $3,000.
Its not that I cant afford it, but I dont want to spend that much. I have a 85k wedding in may, I just bought an 06 Viper with 20k in mods, its a slow time of the year in the mortgage business, and me taking 8 months of this year hasnt helped. I go to spend 3k on wheels and it's not going to go over well AT ALL. Plus, my lexus has to sit outside for now.
Old 11-27-06, 12:36 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should check out the Wheels classifieds section of the website. They have tons of wheels for sale.
Old 11-27-06, 12:54 AM
Tony59blue
Lead Lap

Here's what you need to do. Give D2 a call. They will help you find the right wheels for your car with no modifications needed. They also have nice wheels that will fit your budget. Here's one that came to mind.... It's the MRR GT1 that go for $1099 a set of 19's. If that's your price range. If not let us know what kind of price range you have and we can probably help you out more. Here's the number 877-361-0296. And no i don't work for them. I've just seen many post here with people that are satisfied with their customer service and wheels. Hope this helps.
Old 11-27-06, 01:03 AM
VETTETHRET
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tony59blue
Here's what you need to do. Give D2 a call. They will help you find the right wheels for your car with no modifications needed. They also have nice wheels that will fit your budget. Here's one that came to mind.... It's the MRR GT1 that go for $1099 a set of 19's. If that's your price range. If not let us know what kind of price range you have and we can probably help you out more. Here's the number 877-361-0296. And no i don't work for them. I've just seen many post here with people that are satisfied with their customer service and wheels. Hope this helps.
Thanks bro, I am going to gibve them a call tommorrow. I appreciate your help.

Mike
Old 11-27-06, 05:16 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTETHRET
I bought this car 8 months ago. I had 19" moven wheels installed. This is my daily driver and notmy toy car so I didnt want to spend a grip on the wheels. I didn't know it at the time, but this chitty little shop in garden grove put spacers on the front wheels. I had it lowered with Tanabi springs 2 weeks later. Now that it's settled, they are rubbing so bad in the front it's knocked my front fender loose. I am thinking of just throwing the stock wheels back on that have 100 miles on them. MY QUESTION- Is there a wheel that has the correct offset that wont set me back 3k plus? I have an 06 Viper that I have a ton of dough in and really cant afford to spend I-forged money on the Lexus wheels. I want to keep the staggered 19" set up. Any help is appreciated. I logged onto this site right after I bought the car and completeley forgot about it until today. I've checked the wheel thread but dontknow how much dough you guys spent on these set ups. Thanks in advance.

Mike
Mike,

How is it the fault of the shop that did your wheels?

Seems the problem started after you lowered the car, so can you not raise it by some means just enough to maintain clearance? I'd call the shop that lowered it and ask them if there is any kind of add on spacer or shims that can be added to allow the car to be raised just enough for safe clearance.
Old 11-27-06, 07:57 AM
VETTETHRET
Rookie

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Mike,

How is it the fault of the shop that did your wheels?

Seems the problem started after you lowered the car, so can you not raise it by some means just enough to maintain clearance? I'd call the shop that lowered it and ask them if there is any kind of add on spacer or shims that can be added to allow the car to be raised just enough for safe clearance.

It did rub a very tiny bit at first. The guy said these cars had a lot of "plastic" in the wheel wells and it wasnt an issue. I told him I was lowering the car a week later and he said it would be no problem. The car keeps settling which is why it keeps getting worse.
Old 11-27-06, 08:18 AM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

how big are your spacers? maybe you should get smaller ones
Old 11-27-06, 05:46 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

definitely get in touch with D2..they really know what they are doing..they did my car and i'm 110% satisfied with my wheel setup..and it didnt break the bank

Quick Reply: Wheels Rubbing Badly....