IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Go for IS250RWD Sport or Infiniti G35 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-06, 12:34 PM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AJA, you keep thanking the posters supporting the G35.
Sounds like you already made up your mind
Old 11-28-06, 12:39 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that you should try to haggle your dealer for an IS350. Tell them that you like the IS250, but it's a hard pill to swallow when the Infiniti has 102HP more and the interior space that you need. Tell him the IS350 has what you need and want (power) but that you CANNOT pay such a premium.

You need to try and make it apparent to your dealer how serious you are about the Infiniti, and be sure to cross shop and internet shop between dealers. It's not hard to locate a car or secure a price from another dealer, and have it shipped into your area.

As far as the cars themselves- this is a difficult choice. The G has more power and a bigger cabin, the IS has a better interior and exterior, higher quality, and it's in it's second year which means that any quality problems have been fixed, as many members here have attested to. You also get Lexus service, which is the best in the industry. Infiniti has had a few little nagging quality issues with the G that never went away with the last generation, so the new car could be totally different, who knows? At this point you know that the IS is a sound car from looking at these boards.

The performance advantage is something that would be hard for me to ignore, but I'd probably go for which car I could get a better deal on. The only thing that the IS really gives up is power. If power is on the top of your list then you need to probably consider the G, but don't without trying for an IS350. If you want the car with a higher quality interior, the exterior that you like better, a fabulous sound system, features that you want, and flawless service, then the IS is probably your choice. It's really about what car works better for what you're buying it for.

Not sure if this helps, but push for the 350!
Old 11-28-06, 12:45 PM
Crazy Yoda
Pole Position

I would go for the G35 based on your specs and needs. I love my IS350 but, sorry all, I would not buy an IS250. The car is just too slow. The word "sport" to me implies that the car has some "sport" in it. To me the IS250 is way better looking than the G35 BUT you lose out on almost all of the "sport". But you do give up on some interior quality and perhaps a bit on overall reliability for a G35.

But still I think that the G35 would be a better car overall.
Old 11-28-06, 12:45 PM
AJA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SolaraToIS
AJA, you keep thanking the posters supporting the G35.
Sounds like you already made up your mind
Not yet actually . I'm just keeping a count as to how many voted for the IS250 Sport or G35 Sport. I actually posted this same question on the Infiniti forum but there is not a lot of replies/feedback there. The CL forum members are always active and more than willing to provide help. Nevertheless, I will make a decision in a day or two from now.
Old 11-28-06, 12:51 PM
AJA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I think that you should try to haggle your dealer for an IS350. Tell them that you like the IS250, but it's a hard pill to swallow when the Infiniti has 102HP more and the interior space that you need. Tell him the IS350 has what you need and want (power) but that you CANNOT pay such a premium.

You need to try and make it apparent to your dealer how serious you are about the Infiniti, and be sure to cross shop and internet shop between dealers. It's not hard to locate a car or secure a price from another dealer, and have it shipped into your area.

As far as the cars themselves- this is a difficult choice. The G has more power and a bigger cabin, the IS has a better interior and exterior, higher quality, and it's in it's second year which means that any quality problems have been fixed, as many members here have attested to. You also get Lexus service, which is the best in the industry. Infiniti has had a few little nagging quality issues with the G that never went away with the last generation, so the new car could be totally different, who knows? At this point you know that the IS is a sound car from looking at these boards.

The performance advantage is something that would be hard for me to ignore, but I'd probably go for which car I could get a better deal on. The only thing that the IS really gives up is power. If power is on the top of your list then you need to probably consider the G, but don't without trying for an IS350. If you want the car with a higher quality interior, the exterior that you like better, a fabulous sound system, features that you want, and flawless service, then the IS is probably your choice. It's really about what car works better for what you're buying it for.

Not sure if this helps, but push for the 350!
That's a good idea. I don't know if the Lexus dealers up here in Vancouver will budge or give-in but I'll certainly give it a shot.
Old 11-28-06, 02:00 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

how much is your g35 comin out to ? cause i built one and the price wasn't that much difference once i considered my discount
Old 11-28-06, 02:07 PM
AJA
Driver School Candidate

A G35 Sport with premium package cost CDN$46,790 while a 250RWD with premium and sport package cost CDN$47,600. These are both based on MSRP only.
Old 11-28-06, 02:14 PM
Soda
Pole Position

Consider the insurance maybe?? I know when I had my TSX and traded it in for my 350 My insurance went DOWN 80 MONTH. I couldnt' believe it. It was more than My S2k too.
Old 11-28-06, 02:58 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AJA, get an IS250, you just see G's everywhere in Vancouver... it's ridiculous.
Old 11-28-06, 03:16 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

coming from 2 g35's ('03 sedan and '04 coupe), trading in the coupe for the IS was the best thing I've ever done. I would have kept the coupe for a lot longer but there were too many issues affecting the everyday driveability and both the dealership and corporate seemed to be in cahoots in denying warranty and TSB issues.

I wonder if they kept track of how many times I tried to get something fixed before I got tired of banging my head against the wall. I would take them in for several issues and leave the car with them. They 'can't replicate' so they won't even look into your complaints even though the problem(s) are so commonplace that Infiniti has issued a TSB for them. Drive home and there they are plain as day. Set up another appointment. This time a tech will go out on the drive with me to verify. Tech verifies. Get a call the next day to pick the car up. Go to pick it up and it turns out that they didn't do one darn thing. The excuse: they couldn't verify AGAIN the next day so they won't work on it. I asked them what the purpose was for taking the tech out with me the day before. The service manager says 'if they can't replicate right before working on it, they don't have a fighting chance of fixing it' even though I brought them the TSB's printed off the internet. (They didn't know about the TSB's BTW.) That's when I start looking for the cameras or the twilight zone music to start.

On the other end of the spectrum, all I get from my service advisor at lexus is 'we'll take care of it.'

Great looking car but build quality is very sub-par on the Infiniti's.
Old 11-28-06, 05:23 PM
The Chad
Driver

If space is not an issue then it comes down to performance. The extra horsepower is noticeable but the IS250 is capable of overtaking on the motorway.

If those two cars are your options, that is the question you need to answer. "Do I care about horsepower?" If the answer is "Yes", then get the G35. Also has the added benefit of a limited slip.
Old 11-28-06, 05:42 PM
vortex6
Driver School Candidate

Do what I'm doing and go for a USED IS350. I had a hard decision as well between a Lexus or G35. I am actually able to buy a brand new fully loaded G35 for invoice price since the company I work for can get VPP discounts. Only thing is, VPP is not available for about 5-6 more months on that car. Still, we are talking about $36k for a G35 sport, premium, navigation, and tech pkg. Even with that great deal, I'm going with a used fully loaded IS350 for around the same price. It was the sound system and quality that sold me. Don't let the used car scare you off either. Most people who buy Lexus are going to maintain them well. Anyway, that's my .02.
Old 11-28-06, 05:50 PM
The Chad
Driver

Originally Posted by vortex6
Do what I'm doing and go for a USED IS350. I had a hard decision as well between a Lexus or G35. I am actually able to buy a brand new fully loaded G35 for invoice price since the company I work for can get VPP discounts. Only thing is, VPP is not available for about 5-6 more months on that car. Still, we are talking about $36k for a G35 sport, premium, navigation, and tech pkg. Even with that great deal, I'm going with a used fully loaded IS350 for around the same price. It was the sound system and quality that sold me. Don't let the used car scare you off either. Most people who buy Lexus are going to maintain them well. Anyway, that's my .02.
Also an important option to consider with your fixed price point.
Old 11-28-06, 06:17 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

price is obviously a factor..IS350 cost a little more than a G35
Old 11-28-06, 06:19 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
coming from 2 g35's ('03 sedan and '04 coupe), trading in the coupe for the IS was the best thing I've ever done. I would have kept the coupe for a lot longer but there were too many issues affecting the everyday driveability and both the dealership and corporate seemed to be in cahoots in denying warranty and TSB issues.

I wonder if they kept track of how many times I tried to get something fixed before I got tired of banging my head against the wall. I would take them in for several issues and leave the car with them. They 'can't replicate' so they won't even look into your complaints even though the problem(s) are so commonplace that Infiniti has issued a TSB for them. Drive home and there they are plain as day. Set up another appointment. This time a tech will go out on the drive with me to verify. Tech verifies. Get a call the next day to pick the car up. Go to pick it up and it turns out that they didn't do one darn thing. The excuse: they couldn't verify AGAIN the next day so they won't work on it. I asked them what the purpose was for taking the tech out with me the day before. The service manager says 'if they can't replicate right before working on it, they don't have a fighting chance of fixing it' even though I brought them the TSB's printed off the internet. (They didn't know about the TSB's BTW.) That's when I start looking for the cameras or the twilight zone music to start.

On the other end of the spectrum, all I get from my service advisor at lexus is 'we'll take care of it.'

Great looking car but build quality is very sub-par on the Infiniti's.
Reading your post brought back all the bad memories of my experience with my 2 Acura TL's (00 and 04). I had the same issues with things not getting fixed and then when I would show them the TSB's they would say those are for the US TL and they couldn't do anything until Acura Canada issued a TSB. In the meatime nothing would get fixed. So glad I have a Lexus now, I am hopeful that I won't have to ask the service dept. to fix anything in the first place. But if I have to, I'm hoping that I'll get that legendary Lexus service that I've read about.

For the OP go for the Lexus!

Quick Reply: Go for IS250RWD Sport or Infiniti G35 Sport