IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

3M Clear Bra for IS250

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-06, 10:39 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Custom Clear Protection... near automall exit.. Off Albrae.
Old 12-03-06, 10:43 AM
LexyIS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishman06
Where in Fremont Automall?

I went over to Premier last week (on Automall in an industrial park), they quoted me $690 for an install of the ventureshield stuff, and $550 for a ceramic tint...
I got mine done at Premier in Fremont Automall. Their customer service and craftmanship was exceptional. Considering when I brought my car in, there were two Lambo Gallardo being clear bra, I would think the IS must be a walk in the park for them.
Old 12-03-06, 11:36 PM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

Most dealerships have a local 3rd party installer do the cars in their lot then rape the buyers on the pricing. If you can, find out who their installer is and go straight to them. For my local dealership, I actually know the people who do their installations and the guy who taught the 3rd party installer how to do the installations...and sometimes he does their installations for them... If all that makes any sense.
Old 12-07-06, 01:01 AM
JasonC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Irishman06
Where in Fremont Automall?

I went over to Premier last week (on Automall in an industrial park), they quoted me $690 for an install of the ventureshield stuff, and $550 for a ceramic tint...
Irishman, did you ever get the ceramic tint? My cousin just bought an is350 and wanted to see if anyone's got pics of ceramic 50 or 60 on their cars before he chooses. btw, he has GF.
Old 12-07-06, 03:04 PM
mctuners
Lead Lap

I have no clue where to get the clear bra done for my IS in Iowa.
Is it something I can do by myself?
Old 12-07-06, 04:05 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on ebay... they're selling precut clear bra's for roughly 200 shipped... if you wanted to give that a shot let everyone else know.... i am really tempted to do it but i just found a shop in my area that would do it for me
Old 12-07-06, 06:23 PM
mctuners
Lead Lap

Hmm.. I'm willing to give a shot, but not sure what the quality is like.
Also, would it be basically the same job as window tinting?
And, lastly, when I want to peel them off later in the future, wouldn't it damage the paint? I'm thinking that it could peel off the paint, because of strong glue stuff on it?
Old 12-30-06, 03:12 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mctuners
Hmm.. I'm willing to give a shot, but not sure what the quality is like.
Also, would it be basically the same job as window tinting?
And, lastly, when I want to peel them off later in the future, wouldn't it damage the paint? I'm thinking that it could peel off the paint, because of strong glue stuff on it?
It won't damage the paint. However, there was a lot of hype about clear bras about 18 months ago. Folks were installing it on show cars and high end Porsches, Ferraris, etc. So the lexus, BMW, Inifinti buyers were caught up in the clear bra frenzy.

They are really not necessary unless you live on a gravel road. Your windshield, door pillars, high on the hood, etc. are still subject to stone chips if you tail gate cars at high speed.

From what I can tell, very few are buying the film any more. The film is worth about $5, yet folks pay hundreds for the film and installation. Most shops that did install the film are now gone or no longer install it. People are not willing to pay the high cost. Also, folks have started to remove it from their cars as the film becomes dull, dirt on the edges, etc. If a rock hit the bra and damages it, you have to replace it which it more costly than touch up paint.

I would take a look at a car that has had it on for a few years, it is obvious it is there and it will require more maintenance as well.

good luck.

Last edited by sdbrandon; 12-30-06 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-30-06, 04:25 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
It won't damage the paint. However, there was a lot of hype about clear bras about 18 months ago. Folks were instaling it on show cars and high end Porsches, Ferraris, etc. So the lexus, BMW, Inifinti buyers were caught up in the clear bra frenzy.

They are really not necessary unless you live on a gravel road. Your windshield, door pillars, high on the hood, etc. are still subject to stone chips if you tail gate cars at high speed.

From what I can tell, very few are buying the film any more. The film is worth about $5, yet flks pays hundreds for the film and installtion. Most shops that did install the film are now gone or no longer install it. People are not willing to pay the high cost. Also, folks have started to remove it from their cars as the film becomes dull, dirt on the edges, etc. If a rock hit the bra and damages it, you have to replace it which it more costly than touch up paint.

I would take a look at a car that has had it on for a few years, it is obvious it is there and it will require more maintenance as well.

good luck.
Not necessarily tail gating. Big Trucks do give this problem alot.
Old 12-30-06, 07:03 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
The film is worth about $5, yet folks pay hundreds for the film and installation.

If a rock hit the bra and damages it, you have to replace it which it more costly than touch up paint.
5 freakin dollars ROBBERS! they're all robbers!

well if i could get it for 5 dollars... i guess Lexus touch up paint would actually be more wouldn't it j/k

but as for me... if i could save a rock chip on the actually paint... i would still go for the clear bra... personally IMO...rock chip to bra = temporary....rock chip to bumper.... forever

whole purpose of the clear bra is to protect your paint and your obviously not going to change it right away EVERY time it rips but if it does rip it's always cheaper and less of a hassle re-applying the clear bra than repainting the front bumper. unless of course your fortunate enough to be able to repaint and etc yourself.