IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack Alternative - Hybrid Nav DVD

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-08, 11:16 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, you have v7.1 map data with a 5.1 loading .kwi? Which means you have the most current map data, input while moving override and the "I agree" button, right?
Old 03-14-08, 09:10 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oblivionis
So, you have v7.1 map data with a 5.1 loading .kwi? Which means you have the most current map data, input while moving override and the "I agree" button, right?
100% correct! You nailed it on all 3 points.

Key point there is "input moving override" (if you do the finger dance top left, bottom left, top left, bottom left/ blah blah blah, a total of like 9 keystrokes just so you can hold down the nav override, Just so you can input a destination while driving and also having to hit the i agree button every time you start the car) It doesn't make sense to me to do all those key strokes just to override input destination while driving. Even if you were a delivery guy it doesn't make sense. Who changes destinations that much while driving?
Old 04-27-08, 05:41 PM
potcherboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unable to eject?

Trying to use hybrid disc, got clock off easily, pulled fuse and reinserted, etc.
Got the "Program cannot be read, please consult to a dealer" screen with japanese text below, inserted hybrid disc and...nothing. Ok, so didn't like my disc.
Now however, can't figure how to get the disk back out, as MAP, DEST and MENU buttons only serve to bring up "Program cannot be read.." screen. Buttons on left side of nav all work.
Anyone know how to get disc back out without eject button? Tried pulling many other fuses that looked promising in the same box, no luck
Old 04-27-08, 06:03 PM
chuckler
Driver

Originally Posted by combfilter
100% correct! You nailed it on all 3 points.

Key point there is "input moving override" (if you do the finger dance top left, bottom left, top left, bottom left/ blah blah blah, a total of like 9 keystrokes just so you can hold down the nav override, Just so you can input a destination while driving and also having to hit the i agree button every time you start the car) It doesn't make sense to me to do all those key strokes just to override input destination while driving. Even if you were a delivery guy it doesn't make sense. Who changes destinations that much while driving?
i thought you can't have both override and the 5sec i agree if you do a hybrid disc cuz these 2 features come from the firmware versions
Old 05-07-08, 10:24 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckler
i thought you can't have both override and the 5sec i agree if you do a hybrid disc cuz these 2 features come from the firmware versions
You are correct. The previous posted said "I agree button with override" not "automatic 5-second I agree disappears with override".
Old 05-07-08, 12:20 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by potcherboy
Trying to use hybrid disc, got clock off easily, pulled fuse and reinserted, etc.
Got the "Program cannot be read, please consult to a dealer" screen with japanese text below, inserted hybrid disc and...nothing. Ok, so didn't like my disc.
Now however, can't figure how to get the disk back out, as MAP, DEST and MENU buttons only serve to bring up "Program cannot be read.." screen. Buttons on left side of nav all work.
Anyone know how to get disc back out without eject button? Tried pulling many other fuses that looked promising in the same box, no luck
I'm about to do mine so hopefully someone can help answer this question just in case I get the same problem
Old 05-27-08, 06:43 PM
SoCal_IS
Driver School Candidate

Just upgraded mine from 5.1. Finally the 2 year old apartment complex I live at shows on the map!

I got the "No DVD" error the first 3 times I fed the disc to the unit. I started getting discouraged thinking that maybe I fuct up the burn, but it took it like a champ on the fourth attempt. All is good.
Old 06-28-08, 02:43 PM
LexedUp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by potcherboy
I'm stuck with this same problem just now. Anybody have any solutions to getting the disc out?

*edit* did some searching on the board and found out you can hold top right and bottom right of the nav screen and dvd will eject. NICE!

Last edited by LexedUp; 06-28-08 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-28-08, 02:56 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexedUp
I'm stuck with this same problem just now. Anybody have any solutions to getting the disc out?

*edit* did some searching on the board and found out you can hold top right and bottom right of the nav screen and dvd will eject. NICE!
Press the upper right, lower right, upper right, lower right, upper right, lower right... OR try upper left, lower left, upper left, lower left, upper left, lower left...

That should give you a menu to eject...
Old 10-14-08, 10:18 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I am interested in creating a hybrid disc with my existing 5.1 with the new 8.1. My only hesitation is that I will be missing out on upgrades with the 8.1 firmware. Anyone know if the 8.1 firmware has new features that are worth switching and losing the hack?
Old 10-14-08, 04:44 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by VikH
I am interested in creating a hybrid disc with my existing 5.1 with the new 8.1. My only hesitation is that I will be missing out on upgrades with the 8.1 firmware. Anyone know if the 8.1 firmware has new features that are worth switching and losing the hack?
Not sure what's new in 8.1 compared to the 7.1 I upgraded to, but I'm quite fond of not having to press the "I agree" button every time I start the car.
Old 10-31-08, 01:32 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hahah Just a heads up on this. my phtalocyanine dye in the brand of dvdrs has **** the bed. Since the weather is getting cold I noticed my dvd reader is having trouble on start up. At first just part of the map was gone. Now when i start up and from there on out my map data is blank. It's kind of cool because it looks like I am driving inspace, but my nav is useless right now. So basically, the media I used sucked. I'd suggest using better quality dvdr's than what I did so you don't have to reburn a disc.

Old 10-31-08, 03:21 PM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 119 Posts

Are there forum rules that keep you guys who have figured this out from selling a copy of the DVD? I'm a fairly technical person but I have no interest in jumping through all the hoops you guys have here to get it to work, but I'd gladly pay $20 for it...
Old 11-01-08, 07:10 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jbuffett
Are there forum rules that keep you guys who have figured this out from selling a copy of the DVD? I'm a fairly technical person but I have no interest in jumping through all the hoops you guys have here to get it to work, but I'd gladly pay $20 for it...
Yes, the discussion of buying/selling copies of copyrighted DVDs is strictly prohibited.
Old 11-14-08, 06:48 PM
RhoXS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last March combfilter said "Who changes destinations that much while driving?"

My wife and I frequently change destinations. We typically use the GPS to locate a restaurant, and then have it give us directions. We also do this for gas stations, rest areas, and especially hotels. We have also been known to make an on the spot decision about our end destination. A few months ago, while passing through Atlanta on the way to Indianapolis, we made a spur of the moment decision to spend the night at Stone Mountain rather than a hotel off I75 in Kennesaw.

Currently we have two Garmin 2730 street Pilots for each of our two cars. We are ready to replace our RX330 next month. A must have accessory for any vehicle we get is a factory navigation system because I want to have the much larger and much more useful map display. We certainly prefer another Lexus RX series because we have like our RX330 so much. However, this is rapidly falling off our short list solely because the navigation system is not fully functional when the vehicle is underway.

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack Alternative - Hybrid Nav DVD