IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack Alternative - Hybrid Nav DVD

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-08, 11:43 AM
muzzman1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Technique
The 7.1 loading.kwi was about the same size (100+ megs)... Who knows what they added... Voice commands, etc...

I'd suggest trying a few more times, and maybe burning a new copy, double check your book-type, etc...
To be honest, the new software works so much better than the 5.1 I almost don't need the override. When I issue the address command with voice it works a thousand times better. I talk normal, not repeats and best of all I do not need to wait for the prompts, as soon as you hear the beep you can start talking.....So I can issue an address with voice now in 15secs tops!

There is no need for the override (given that I have the wire hack as well)

At this point for me it is more of a challenge to see if I can make it work with the 5.1, but it really isnt necessary!
Old 12-19-08, 10:59 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by muzzman1
To be honest, the new software works so much better than the 5.1 I almost don't need the override. When I issue the address command with voice it works a thousand times better. I talk normal, not repeats and best of all I do not need to wait for the prompts, as soon as you hear the beep you can start talking.....So I can issue an address with voice now in 15secs tops!

There is no need for the override (given that I have the wire hack as well)

At this point for me it is more of a challenge to see if I can make it work with the 5.1, but it really isnt necessary!
What if you want to search by POI Name? Do you spell out the name of the restaurant or whatever? I still need the override, voice will never be a substitute for the touch screen...
Old 01-04-09, 02:26 PM
pkkaiser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Muzzman

How did you burn the disc on a Mac (5.1/7.1). I have used Verbatim DVD+R DL with the finder burn = no go. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 03-07-09, 01:16 PM
LexusLX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Technique ,

You have been a great help in telling us how to eject bad DVD..

Thanks Clublexus.
Old 03-08-09, 08:43 AM
CombatTalo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexusLX
Technique ,

You have been a great help in telling us how to eject bad DVD..

Thanks Clublexus.
On the nav screen push upper right, then lower right and it will eject the dvd! Had to do this yesterday and it worked.
Old 03-20-09, 11:53 PM
nhawk2
Driver School Candidate

Hybrid 8.1 + 1600 firmware seems to work just as well as 7.1+1600
Old 04-27-09, 07:17 PM
derekmw
Driver School Candidate

Car: 2006 IS350
Disk: Hybrid 5.1/8.1

I need help as well guys. Tried making a hybrid 5.1 disk and put it in. The screen went black and keeps flashing between blank screen and a screen with lines. As someone else mentioned, only the left buttons along the nav screen now. The Map/Dest/Menu on the right are completely non-responsive now.

I tried pressing the upper right/lower right back and forth as well as upper left/lower left, heck, i even tried the upper right/lower left over and over, and upper left/lower right as well but the disk will not eject.

Is there any other solution besides taking the car to the dealership? I really do not want to have to pay $100 to eject a disk!

Last edited by derekmw; 04-27-09 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-27-09, 08:29 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by derekmw
Car: 2006 IS350
Disk: Hybrid 5.1/8.1

I need help as well guys. Tried making a hybrid 5.1 disk and put it in. The screen went black and keeps flashing between blank screen and a screen with lines. As someone else mentioned, only the left buttons along the nav screen now. The Map/Dest/Menu on the right are completely non-responsive now.

I tried pressing the upper right/lower right back and forth as well as upper left/lower left, heck, i even tried the upper right/lower left over and over, and upper left/lower right as well but the disk will not eject.

Is there any other solution besides taking the car to the dealership? I really do not want to have to pay $100 to eject a disk!
At this point try unplugging your battery to reset.
Old 04-27-09, 09:19 PM
derekmw
Driver School Candidate

Thanks...I actually JUST got it out. I got to thinking about how my macbook pro is similar style loading. And there was instructions on getting a stuck CD out of the macbooks. You basically have to pin the cd (i used a credit card) so that it stops spinning. Once the cd stopped spinning in the dvd drive, the menu button worked. At that point I was able to press DVD menu on the screen and the select eject.

So just an FYI for those who get stuck at a point where the DVD drive is reading and the menu won't work (or the top left/lower left method). This will work as well. You just have to get the drive to stop trying to read the DVD by pinning it down. Once the cd stops spinning, the menu functions come back.
Old 05-08-09, 11:31 AM
DoHwan
Lead Lap

so did anyone do the hybrid 8.1 with the 5.1 yet for the override with success?
Old 05-08-09, 07:00 PM
nhawk2
Driver School Candidate

Look at post 246 (above)

Originally Posted by DoHwan
Old 05-09-09, 11:12 AM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah I have done it and no problems. I also used Memorex DVD+R DL disc and it works fine but since combfilter said his disc screwed up later I plan to reburn it onto Verbatim DVD+R DL (preferably the ones made in singapore which are rated as the best)
Old 05-09-09, 11:49 AM
micnn
Driver School Candidate

It may help if you also indicate the generation of your nav unit. No hybrid disc works with gen 4 unit so far.
Old 05-09-09, 11:53 AM
DoHwan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by micnn
It may help if you also indicate the generation of your nav unit. No hybrid disc works with gen 4 unit so far.

Hi! I answered my own question by just trying it. IF noone's done it yet then yes it works. I don't know the gen of my nav unit but I have an 07 IS 350. I have compiled a hybrid v8.1 with the v5.1 loading.kwi file and the override works perfectly.

So if anyone is gonna do the v8.1 with the v5.1 file swap it works!
Old 05-09-09, 01:34 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All 2nd gen IS are gen 5 nav systems, so 2006+...

And yes, 5.1 firmware works great on 8.1 data disc for a nice hybrid with override!

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack Alternative - Hybrid Nav DVD