IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack Alternative - Hybrid Nav DVD

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-06, 02:17 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
There are 100s of people on this forum with 2006 ISx50s, who have the V5.1 disc and have ZERO problems... Using this method is just like having a 2006 ISx50, no difference...

If you are having problems, then use the newer firmware and lose the override...

Or, do what I did and install an override switch + the newer firmware...
My colleague at work thought he was having zero problems with the nav in his '06 IS. But when we went out to his car in the parking lot, I showed him that the GPS indicator under the map scale was MIA. He didn't realize his car was navigating by gyros and the speed sensor.

I'm convinced that a sizable fraction of the people with the old software who think they aren't having a problem aren't aware that they are having GPS problems because the dead reckoning function that acts as a 'back up' for the GPS is covering up the problem.
Old 12-22-06, 03:59 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
My colleague at work thought he was having zero problems with the nav in his '06 IS. But when we went out to his car in the parking lot, I showed him that the GPS indicator under the map scale was MIA. He didn't realize his car was navigating by gyros and the speed sensor.

I'm convinced that a sizable fraction of the people with the old software who think they aren't having a problem aren't aware that they are having GPS problems because the dead reckoning function that acts as a 'back up' for the GPS is covering up the problem.
Could be... Could also be a regional thing... Also, depending on the route, only a few satellites is all you need sometimes... But anyway, leave it to denso to have a bug where the gps can't find satellites! wtf... morons...
Old 12-23-06, 06:16 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My NAV has developed the dropped GPS over the past three months. It wasn't too bad at first but now it won't correct itself for over 100Km! I showed the service manager when I went back about the wrong brake pads issue and he did a recalibration even though the GPS was not locked,...I didn't bother to tell him that it wouldn't fix the problem because I have to go back for the pads,...aggghhhh.
Old 12-27-06, 12:34 PM
nhawk2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to call Lexus Customer Svc and tell them that you don't like the missing override. I for one, told them I won't buy another Lexus w/o a GPS override.
Phone 1-800-255-3987
Old 12-27-06, 12:36 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nhawk2
You may want to call Lexus Customer Svc and tell them that you don't like the missing override. I for one, told them I won't buy another Lexus w/o a GPS override.
Phone 1-800-255-3987
I was going to wait for the survey that you get in the mail... But ya, I will call them up for sure...
Old 12-27-06, 01:59 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nhawk2
Phone 1-800-255-3987
you know it could be that they just missed getting the legal authorisation to implement the override before they had to lock down the features all throughout 06 and thus 07, maybe we'll see something different in 08 going forward.
Old 12-27-06, 02:14 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

It's a shame that the nav nanny isn't getting some attention in the car mag writeups. I credit the fact that virtually every review I read complained that you couldn't fully disable traction control with Lexus relenting and giving '07 buyers a working Trac off button.
Old 12-27-06, 02:16 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I got the Hybrid disc working. It is great!

Thank you Technique!! you are the best!
Old 12-27-06, 02:18 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by istundra
I got the Hybrid disc working. It is great!

Thank you Technique!! you are the best!
AWESOME! Glad to hear it man
Old 12-27-06, 02:21 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bichon
It's a shame that the nav nanny isn't getting some attention in the car mag writeups. I credit the fact that virtually every review I read complained that you couldn't fully disable traction control with Lexus relenting and giving '07 buyers a working Trac off button.
So true! But you know, I think it's a larger problem of the magazines not talking about the navigation systems hardly at all! I mean, I can't clearly remember a single article saying more than 1 sentence about the navigation... It's more like just a few sentences about the climate control/radio/nav/misc functions all in one... Like talking about the INTERFACE in general (bmw's i-drive, etc)... They talk about ergonomics... They NEVER say "The new Gen 5 navigation has many changes over the previous gen" or stuff like that... They just say things like "the climate control functions are easily accessible from the navigation screen"...

You are 100% right, the mags should start talking about a $2000+ nav option and if it's worth it... We all know the mags HATE electronic nannies, so...
Old 12-27-06, 10:10 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kensteele
you know it could be that they just missed getting the legal authorisation to implement the override before they had to lock down the features all throughout 06 and thus 07, maybe we'll see something different in 08 going forward.
Ken, I can't find it now, but didn't you have a problem playing a dvd-a disc in your system? I just tried a burned-dvd-a disc and I got NOTHIN, any suggestions? Anyone?

Also, did you ever get your winter tires on?
Old 02-11-07, 08:32 AM
ahmadaea
Driver School Candidate

Default Same but Different problem

Hi all,
Hope that this post get's noticed after 2 months of the last reply.

Situation:
1. my car doesn't come with navigation and I bought one from ebay. my car is RX300 2002 and the dvd computer I bought is generation 4.
2. my navigation system is US system. running 04.02 map data version. It's fourth generation system.
3. I bought my country dvd which is also for fourth generation. map version is 2004-2005 (!!!!)

Problem:
when I put my country dvd it tells me that dvd is not correct.

Action I did:
I noticed what you did here and attempted to do the same. I copied my local dvd then overritten the loading.kwa file with the US file. here is the result:

Results:
- DVD is loaded and I get the "I agree" screen.
- Once I agree, I get the message that the system couldn't read the map data and I need to insert the correct disk.

Different things I did:
1. my country dvd is less than 300mb. So, the dvd i burned is not dual layer. it's regular one (is it a must to burn a DL dvd?)
2. I didn't do the fuse thing. I couldn't find any fuse that has the TV-1 name. My car is not loaded with navigation originally (could I do something else?)
3. regarding the buring mode and format, I didn't find the option "etcif". I'm using nero, imgburn and Ultra ISO. how can I do that? (i'm totally ignorant in these matters)

Appreciate any help you could offer and many thanks,

Last edited by ahmadaea; 02-11-07 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-01-07, 07:59 PM
bennynihon
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to try to make this combo disc, but I had a thought. I'd like to compare the 5.1 disc w/ override and the 5.1 disc w/o override. I'd be curious to do a hexedit comparison of the two firmware files. If there's little difference between the two files outside of the override, we may be able to pinpoint the same byte (or bytes) in the 6.1 firmware that will allow us to enable the override setting. Has anyone tried this? PM me if you think you can help.

But what I'd like Lexus to do with their future models is to detect if someone is sitting in the passenger seat and if so to enable the NAV while driving. They already must detect passenger weight, since it senses a seat belt that's not latched. Not only is this a logical feature to have, to allow the passenger to change directions while the driver concentrates on the road, it would allow us modders to easily hack it to always allow NAV operation while driving.
Old 04-01-07, 08:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,991 Likes on 2,415 Posts

Doing a hex edit compare is just about useless. I have the 1600 firmware which includes the GPS update but does not include the HVAC update. The 1600 firmware is 47 kb. The 1650 firmware is 73.4 kb. I browsed the 5.1/1600 with a hex editor, and there isn't much useful information (but you can see a complete list of the voice command error messages in more than one language...). It is also quite clear that this loading.kwi file covers the entire Toyota range. There is a lot of Prius specific information in the file for the hybrid drive system. So, the updates could be for multiple platforms, not just the ISx50 Gen 5 nav system.

I have some other tricks up my sleeve, but I'm a bit preoccupied with moving right now and doubt I'll have anything new on this anytime soon. When I do, I'll post something here.
Old 04-02-07, 07:38 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bennynihon
But what I'd like Lexus to do with their future models is to detect if someone is sitting in the passenger seat and if so to enable the NAV while driving. They already must detect passenger weight, since it senses a seat belt that's not latched. Not only is this a logical feature to have, to allow the passenger to change directions while the driver concentrates on the road, it would allow us modders to easily hack it to always allow NAV operation while driving.
You and me both man... But I doubt Lexus will do that... They are lazy... And I don't think the left hand knows what the right hand is doing there...

But yes, you are right, it makes perfect sense to allow the passenger to enter destinations...

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack Alternative - Hybrid Nav DVD