IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack Alternative - Hybrid Nav DVD

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-07 | 07:10 PM
muzzman1
Driver

Default Thanks Technique

.....worked like a charm. I might add I actually did it on a "Hackintosh" OSX on clone hardware, using "burn" and open source burning application (in Joliet mode)for OSX, and a Sony Drive with Memorex +R DL media, in case anyone has similar hardware, that worked PERFECT for me!
Old 05-16-07 | 10:02 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by muzzman1
.....worked like a charm. I might add I actually did it on a "Hackintosh" OSX on clone hardware, using "burn" and open source burning application (in Joliet mode)for OSX, and a Sony Drive with Memorex +R DL media, in case anyone has similar hardware, that worked PERFECT for me!
Good to know! Did you unplug your fuse to rest the hardware, after installing the new disk?
Old 05-17-07 | 09:41 AM
muzzman1
Driver

Originally Posted by ES3
Good to know! Did you unplug your fuse to rest the hardware, after installing the new disk?

Didn't need to my car had the 5.1 loader on it originally, now it just has the updated maps retaining the override
Old 05-17-07 | 09:46 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Okay, so who has a 5.1 disk that they're willing to sell.... or let me burrow??? PM me!
Old 05-17-07 | 02:02 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stash84
so if i were to make a hybrid dvd, exactly what problems would i encounter??
Sounds like youll lose the memory of the HVAC recirc setting after you turn off the car (itll always revert back to one setting) and there is the possibility that you may have future problems with the GPS holding on to sats, asl well as not connecting to as many as it connects to the 6.1 version. There is a possibility that there are some bluetooth loses too.

Has anyone talked to any Lexus technicians like from the dealerships and asked them if they know about a bypass like the 5.1 had? Anyone know any techs personally and could ask or have them ask around. I do and Ill try poking around a bit.
Old 05-17-07 | 05:31 PM
lbaily
Driver School Candidate

Default IS350 Nav override

I called a No. VA service manager and left a message asking about the override for the Nav upgrade. She didn't call me back. No surprise there.
Old 05-17-07 | 09:20 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ben_r_
there is the possibility that you may have future problems with the GPS holding on to sats, asl well as not connecting to as many as it connects to the 6.1 version.
Isn't there a way to see how many sats are connected, with both versions?
Old 05-17-07 | 09:21 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Also, the versions aren't fully effective unless you pull the fuse and reset, correct?
Old 05-18-07 | 08:10 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES3
Isn't there a way to see how many sats are connected, with both versions?
I dont know Im trying to find that out myself. i have never noticed a spot on my current nav in my 07 that show me how many sats im connected to.

Originally Posted by ES3
Also, the versions aren't fully effective unless you pull the fuse and reset, correct?
Well, its more like the nav unit will not downgrade the firmware to the 5.X until you pull the fuse. If you already have the 5.X firmware I believe it i will update to the 6.X just by putting in the new DVD.
Old 05-18-07 | 09:02 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Exactly correct. The system will not back rev if you only install the disc. You have to kill the current firmware by pulling the fuse to force a firmware load from the DVD.
Old 05-18-07 | 10:07 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Exactly correct. The system will not back rev if you only install the disc. You have to kill the current firmware by pulling the fuse to force a firmware load from the DVD.
But again, if you pull the fuse, and eventually put a newer map disc in, will the firmware automatically upgrade, preventing the override?
Old 05-18-07 | 11:21 AM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES3
But again, if you pull the fuse, and eventually put a newer map disc in, will the firmware automatically upgrade, preventing the override?
Yes that is how it happens.
Old 05-18-07 | 01:56 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

So are how many people out there can confirm that there are no losing satellite problems with the 1600 version???? Let us know bc im still a little weary of trying this.
Old 05-19-07 | 05:00 PM
stash84
Rookie

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Sounds like youll lose the memory of the HVAC recirc setting after you turn off the car (itll always revert back to one setting) and there is the possibility that you may have future problems with the GPS holding on to sats, asl well as not connecting to as many as it connects to the 6.1 version. There is a possibility that there are some bluetooth loses too.

Has anyone talked to any Lexus technicians like from the dealerships and asked them if they know about a bypass like the 5.1 had? Anyone know any techs personally and could ask or have them ask around. I do and Ill try poking around a bit.
I actually talked to a tech a couple months ago. He told me that there "may be" a bypass. I believe it involves cutting wires since he says he wants to work on it from his home. If not, he would have taken the 300 bux I offered him and pushed a few buttons. Eventually, after a few visits, I gave him my number and he was supposed to call me. That was a month ago. I think he mentioned something about using the brake line but he was very vague. Ive also seen something here about connecting the brake wire to another one but I want to make sure it has no setbacks before i attempt anything. I just called his partner @ Lexus 5 mins ago and he told me that the tech is in atlanta @ Lexus Training ! He should be back on wednesday..Hopefully he learned something that will help us!!!!!
Old 05-19-07 | 05:20 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Question Help!

Man!!! Im trying to get that damn Clock face off and its just not coming out! It was really hard in the first place to stick those tools in there and I tried wedging a very thin screw driver in under the emergency button (in the seal below it) but pulling that towards me wont make it budge... What I am doing wrong exactly. I tried the tape method too only to find that the tape wouldnt stick. Where did you guys stick the flat head screw driver to pull this thing out?

Nevermind, got it. Have to work each side out with the tools and the screw driver...

Last edited by ben_r_; 05-19-07 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack Alternative - Hybrid Nav DVD