IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Brembo BBK release??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-06, 11:48 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This discussion is funny in a way. In the Supra crowd, a lot of people wanted smaller calipers and discs to fit 15" wheels...for drag racing of course.
Well, you don't usually see Lexus vehicles packing up engine modifications and in the burn out box on the track getting ready for the quarter. I guess it's just a auto-cultural thing, what with the luxury..etc..etc...

I do agree with you though, the rear is not meant for LARGE brakes, just look at how they came from the factory, large in front and smaller in the rear. This is why I chose Endless 6piston front and Supra TT rear.
Old 11-29-06, 11:55 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,025 Likes on 2,439 Posts

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
Well, you don't usually see Lexus vehicles packing up engine modifications and in the burn out box on the track getting ready for the quarter. I guess it's just a auto-cultural thing, what with the luxury..etc..etc...

I do agree with you though, the rear is not meant for LARGE brakes, just look at how they came from the factory, large in front and smaller in the rear. This is why I chose Endless 6piston front and Supra TT rear.
With the IS350 and the ISF, I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more Lexus at the drags in future. It's interesting to me that the IS350 is only a couple of tenths off the quarter mile times for stock TT Supras. With an NA engine, and about 200 lbs more weight.

How does your ABS and EBFD work with that set up? Does it feel as seamless as stock? I am always concerned about those systems operating properly when you make significant changes to the caliper sizing. Stoptech has an excellent white paper on the reasons why some BBKs actually perform worse than stock. Wilwood is notorious for ignoring these requirements.
Old 11-29-06, 12:08 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

With the IS350 and the ISF, I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more Lexus at the drags in future. It's interesting to me that the IS350 is only a couple of tenths off the quarter mile times for stock TT Supras. With an NA engine, and about 200 lbs more weight.

How does your ABS and EBFD work with that set up? Does it feel as seamless as stock? I am always concerned about those systems operating properly when you make significant changes to the caliper sizing. Stoptech has an excellent white paper on the reasons why some BBKs actually perform worse than stock. Wilwood is notorious for ignoring these requirements.

It isn't on yet, I haven't even received my brakes yet..should be in a few days! but I have to wait for my rims before they go on.

As a premier braking company in Japan, I think endless has some great history and credentials for me to trust them. I think cars in JGTC and even Nascar have used Endless brakes, among many others.

Let's start a poll : "should redpaste buy Endless brakes or not?"
Old 11-29-06, 01:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
It isn't on yet, I haven't even received my brakes yet..should be in a few days! but I have to wait for my rims before they go on.

As a premier braking company in Japan, I think endless has some great history and credentials for me to trust them. I think cars in JGTC and even Nascar have used Endless brakes, among many others.

Let's start a poll : "should redpaste buy Endless brakes or not?"
My concern isn't with the fundamental quality of the calipers or discs, it is with the interaction of the OEM ABS/EBFD/BA systems. I don't doubt Endless, Brembo, Stoptech, and Rotora produce quality components. No doubt AP and Wilwood do as well. It's the interaction with the existing "intelligent" systems that I am concerned about. It's very easy to make what would be a small error on a fixed proportioning system that turns into a much bigger problem with computer controlled proportioning via EBFD. That's all I wonder about.

In any racing situation, the car engineers have complete control over the system's configuration, so they can engineer it to work together. When you start with a master cylinder and ABS control unit and don't have the engineering details of how ABS and EBFD are implemented, it gets quite a bit more challenging to equal the OEM system.
Old 11-29-06, 03:14 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cspec
But the stock IS350 brakes are freakin' huge already.
EXACTLY.
Unless you're going to the track frequently or want it for the look, otherwise the stock brakes are good enough for daily drive.
Keep in mind, if you want to upgrade your brakes, you need to up grade both front and rear brakes. If not, you might hurt the performance.
As a matter of fact, there is one of the member here took his car to the track and I didn't hear any complaint about his brake.

Last edited by t.is350.h; 11-29-06 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-29-06, 04:25 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In any racing situation, the car engineers have complete control over the system's configuration, so they can engineer it to work together.
actually, most racecars don't have ABS, or EBFD, or any of those fancy acronyms. F1 used to allow a servomotor to control brake bias, but it was driver-adjustable, and has since been disallowed (now it must be a mechanical system off the steering wheel). Typically, you'll just see twin master cylinders with a brake balance bar on the pedal, and (sometimes) a proportioning valve in place of or in addition to this. Not even a vacuum brake booster, they just let the driver suffer through 100+ lb pedal efforts.
Old 11-29-06, 08:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

^^Yeah, I know. But they know what the master cylinder bore is, what the caliper piston bore and fluid volume are, and the range of adjustment for brake bias. They even know the mechanical leverage ratio for the pedals. So, if something isn't working as intended, there's a lot less guessing about how to fix it.

With our cars and all the electromechanical wizardry, when something gets changed and it doesn't work right, there is no design reference to consult to figure out exactly what needs to be different to make the system work as intended again. Unless you rip out all that wizardry and put a standard proportioning valve in the system and bypass the ABS/EBFD/BA controller. I've seen it done, just not on an ISx50. Yet.