IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Brembo BBK release??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-06, 09:54 AM
Redpaste
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brembo BBK release??

Was wondering if anyone has heard if Brembo was going to make a BBK for the 2IS, im sure they have for other Lexus vehicles.

Please, I don't want to hear that the 2IS brakes are good enough, blah blah, you don't need to upgrade. This is mainly for cosmetics, as well as the improved braking ability. I feel the ENDLESS brakes are really expensive and the STOPTECH ones are a bit high as well.

I've checked Brembo's website, but its not very user friendly and it doesn't say anything about future releases.
Old 11-29-06, 09:56 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Stoptech tends to be a little less pricier than Brembo.

Endless is is a little more expensive. Just spend the extra few hundred for the best stuff in town...Endless.
Old 11-29-06, 10:02 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redpaste
Was wondering if anyone has heard if Brembo was going to make a BBK for the 2IS, im sure they have for other Lexus vehicles.

Please, I don't want to hear that the 2IS brakes are good enough, blah blah, you don't need to upgrade. This is mainly for cosmetics, as well as the improved braking ability. I feel the ENDLESS brakes are really expensive and the STOPTECH ones are a bit high as well.

I've checked Brembo's website, but its not very user friendly and it doesn't say anything about future releases.
haha yeah i agree... i would get some for the bling factor but i'd rather paint the calipers and stick a decal and use the money for rims.

my contact for brembo has been waiting for them to release a kit but no word yet. i'll ask then next time i talk to him and i'll keep you guys updated if i find any more out.

fyi, rotora is making a BBK too... not sure how much. i was gonna upgrade to drilled/slotted rotors which are supposed to be out dec/jan so their BBK should be done around then too. their site is never updated so give them a call for more info. but either way, you're gonna be spending big bucks.
Old 11-29-06, 10:43 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Please, I don't want to hear that the 2IS brakes are good enough, blah blah, you don't need to upgrade. This is mainly for cosmetics, as well as the improved braking ability.
Ain't that the truth. It's funny how many of those against BBK's have mods on their cars that may even hurt performance, let alone improve it.

Oh yeah. As mentioned above, Brembos will be more expensive than the Stoptechs but are usually less than the Endless.

Last edited by al503; 11-29-06 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-29-06, 10:53 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually find that Brembos are usually the same price as the Endless kits.
Old 11-29-06, 10:59 AM
Redpaste
Lead Lap

Brembo's will be more?????!!!!!
ARRRGGHHHHH!!!!!!!! The best price I found for Stoptechs were about $5200 and Endless was over $7,000

I already have wheels on order, so Im looking for a BBK to compliment them. I just think it looks stupid to have a nice set of wheels with small rotors and plain calipers. Not only that, bigger wheels make the brakes look even smaller, especially with a 5 spoke wheel. Hopefully by the time I get my wheels, I will have more options.
Old 11-29-06, 11:00 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brembo's will be more?????!!!!!
ARRRGGHHHHH!!!!!!!! The best price I found for Stoptechs were about $5200 and Endless was over $7,000

I already have wheels on order, so Im looking for a BBK to compliment them. I just think it looks stupid to have a nice set of wheels with small rotors and plain calipers. Not only that, bigger wheels make the brakes look even smaller, especially with a 5 spoke wheel. Hopefully by the time I get my wheels, I will have more options.
But the stock IS350 brakes are freakin' huge already.
Old 11-29-06, 11:03 AM
Redpaste
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cspec
Not in the rear, have you seen how tiny the calipers are? Also notice in other peoples pictures that have aftermarket wheels, the rotors just look really funny, may be just me.
Old 11-29-06, 11:05 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cspec
that's what i was gonna say... beat me to it. people are having enough problems already trying to find wheels that will clear the calipers. as for the rotors, you could save the dough and just get drilled/slotted rotors.

how much bigger are aftermarket rear calipers in comparison to stock?
Old 11-29-06, 11:11 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,025 Likes on 2,439 Posts

Not in the rear, have you seen how tiny the calipers are? Also notice in other peoples pictures that have aftermarket wheels, the rotors just look really funny, may be just me.
They're tiny because they need to be. Putting big calipers on the rear will seriously upset the system. Most of the braking happens in the front, not the rear, so putting a big caliper back there only makes it harder to properly porportion the brake force. I doubt you're going to find any kit with a large or even largish caliper for the rear.
Old 11-29-06, 11:21 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

It's not really the size of the calipers that matter in terms of brake bias. It's more of the size of the piston(s), and pads.

In terms of weight, the 2 piece rotors and aluminum calipers are usually the same weight as the stock components despite being larger in size. It looks like the caliper in the rear is cast steel. You can have a caliper almost twice that size in aluminum with no difference in weight.
Old 11-29-06, 11:24 AM
Redpaste
Lead Lap

Default I agree

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They're tiny because they need to be. Putting big calipers on the rear will seriously upset the system. Most of the braking happens in the front, not the rear, so putting a big caliper back there only makes it harder to properly porportion the brake force. I doubt you're going to find any kit with a large or even largish caliper for the rear.
I agree entirely with you, but may be just me, looks funny. Kind of reminds me of a 4X4 with big wheels and a huge fender gap
Old 11-29-06, 11:25 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jsquared
how much bigger are aftermarket rear calipers in comparison to stock?
the stoptechs are 14" in the front and 13.6" in the rear.
Old 11-29-06, 11:29 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,025 Likes on 2,439 Posts

I understand about piston diameter, caliper volume, and swept area.

The rear caliper is indeed steel. Unless someone has invented a special magnetic aluminium.

This discussion is funny in a way. In the Supra crowd, a lot of people wanted smaller calipers and discs to fit 15" wheels...for drag racing of course.
Old 11-29-06, 11:35 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This discussion is funny in a way. In the Supra crowd, a lot of people wanted smaller calipers and discs to fit 15" wheels...for drag racing of course.
Nothing wrong with that. Different objectives and considerations between show/road racing, and drag racing.

Rotational weight is the devil (in my best Kathy Bates (Waterboy) impression) to performance.

Quick Reply: Brembo BBK release??