IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What do you hate about your IS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-06, 08:35 PM
blk06is350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't hate anything, but wish it had a true lsd and another 100 horsepower. also find the interior quite noisy for a 45,000 car, squeaks, rattles and buzzes. the in motion nannies such as caller id nav input etc... also drive me nuts, but overall i am still pleased. you can't have everything!
Old 11-29-06, 08:46 PM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kepeli
The nav system is horrible.
Have you been in a bimmer recently? The BMW nav is terrible. Controlling climate and using the telephone are poor.
Old 11-29-06, 09:12 PM
Wish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BottomsUp
Have you been in a bimmer recently? The BMW nav is terrible. Controlling climate and using the telephone are poor.
really I thought BMW got the best one
Old 11-29-06, 09:13 PM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Wish
really I thought BMW got the best one
no way. go test drive one..i think you'll agree.
Old 11-29-06, 09:48 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Brake dust is annoying, but that's the price we have to pay to stop better and safer, so I rather be annoyed than hump another car from the back.

The barnyard door side mirrors are kinda funny looking, but they do come in handy by bringing traffic entertainment. One time I was on the far right lane and there was heavy traffic, a bicyclist was comming by and he accidentally hit my mirror and fell off his bike. That was hilarious and he ate it pretty hard. Amazing the mirror took no damage.

IS350 not having a 6 speed I think was a stupid move on Lexus. Sport sedan without the control, and instead we get a triptronic tranny that goes "Hm...you want me to shift? I think I'll wait a bit...ok I'll go now." And the wonderful suspension, driving a 300HP rated boat on the streets is so much fun, they could of done a better job on that.

The paint is really thin and easily scratched/chiped. I think most people a thicker layer of plaque on their teeth then the IS having paint on it.

The small safety features, such as the navi lock and seatbelt for passenger. But I guess they are working since they are suppose to annoy us to get us to use them...or find someway to go around it.

Otherwise the car is awesome! When I see the 335i drive by, I am so glad I bought this car!
Old 11-29-06, 10:00 PM
Fiko18
Lexus Test Driver

Nobody "hates" anything about their car or else they wouldn't buy. Maybe dislikes is a better word and that is why there is customization, so everyone can have their car the way they like it
Old 11-29-06, 10:22 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not sure if this was already covered but i really really dislike the fact that it doesn't have the wooden steering wheel. like the rest of the models and wind noise
Old 11-29-06, 10:43 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I hate is the monthly payments to the bank. Oh, and it doesn't come in orange color.
Old 11-29-06, 11:02 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

I hate the IS was a rate number 1 safest pedestrian collision. This is not good for kill gypsies. So this make for my next question, How fast must I drive for kill 10 gypsies?
Old 11-29-06, 11:35 PM
Fiko18
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ lol haha
Old 11-29-06, 11:51 PM
sashax415
Pole Position

no 6 speed manual
cheap looking clock
Old 11-30-06, 09:53 AM
mantisG35
Driver School Candidate

1. exterior: very similar to camry from the back. it's embarrassing
2. brakes. they're definitely corolla brakes.
3. no manual transmission on 350
4. transmission is cool but not enough. that car should get a semi-manual gearbox. the IS actually shifts on its own when you redline it. I wish it had the M3 SMG.
5. Sales people are too arrogant and they're not really willing to negotiate. i hate this about lexus. they're over priced and you cannot really negotiate with them! (im talking about leases at least)
6. which i dont really care about is NO ROOM IN THE BACK. you cant fit a chicken in there.
7. the exhausts are loose. drive behind any IS and watch the exhaust. i dont know why, it looks stupid!
now, im not trying to make the car look bad. Overall i think it's a SWEEEET car.

I currently drive a G35 coupe, im not trying to compare cars or anything. G35 definitely has negatives too. i still think the IS is a sweet ride and I am here to learn more about its features and its problems because im considering leasing one next year!
Old 11-30-06, 09:56 AM
HKS JZS161
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BottomsUp
no way. go test drive one..i think you'll agree.
Im with you on this one...iDrive is more hassle than its worth
Old 11-30-06, 10:44 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

1) Rev hanging in between shifts (manual trans)
2) Shuddering clutch
3) Seats too soft
4) Gearbox feels like a truck transmission (oh, wait, is a truck transmission)
Old 11-30-06, 11:24 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Originally Posted by mantisG35
1. exterior: very similar to camry from the back. it's embarrassing
2. brakes. they're definitely corolla brakes.
3. no manual transmission on 350
4. transmission is cool but not enough. that car should get a semi-manual gearbox. the IS actually shifts on its own when you redline it. I wish it had the M3 SMG.
5. Sales people are too arrogant and they're not really willing to negotiate. i hate this about lexus. they're over priced and you cannot really negotiate with them! (im talking about leases at least)
6. which i dont really care about is NO ROOM IN THE BACK. you cant fit a chicken in there.
7. the exhausts are loose. drive behind any IS and watch the exhaust. i dont know why, it looks stupid!
now, im not trying to make the car look bad. Overall i think it's a SWEEEET car.

I currently drive a G35 coupe, im not trying to compare cars or anything. G35 definitely has negatives too. i still think the IS is a sweet ride and I am here to learn more about its features and its problems because im considering leasing one next year!

I think quite a few of us who own the car would take issue with this assessment.

1. If you are embarrassed by the car's styling, well, I don't think you'd purchase one. Personally, I would not buy a car for its looks, but that's just me.
2. Corolla brakes? No, I don't think the Corolla has four piston monoblock ADVICS calipers and 335mm curved vane discs in front. It also has no need for braking this serious.
3. No manual. OK, so they lost 20 or 30 total sales nationwide and saved a bunch of money on development.
4. ? Buy the BMW. Those of us who own the car aren't losing sleep over this. There really is no such thing as a four door sports car.
5. You're not trying very hard to get a good deal. See this thread.
6. I just drove 800 miles round trip with my wife and sister-in-law. There was no shortage of room in the back. I'm 6'2", and the wife's sister (5'8", much larger than a chicken) fit behind me just fine.
7. Loose? I've driven behind quite a few and not seen what you describe, and I would not want a rigidly mounted exhaust anyway. It just adds to interior noise.
The OP asked "What do you hate about your IS," not what do you hate about the IS.

Quick Reply: What do you hate about your IS?