IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why all of the negativity on BBK's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-06, 09:52 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't we all just mod our cars to our own hearts and wallets desires? Who cares what others think, if you're modding for others appraisal, then you should rethink what you're doing.
Old 11-29-06, 11:23 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

I forgot to add something though.
brake don't really slow you down, good tires slow you down more.
Old 11-30-06, 12:15 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,954 Likes on 2,394 Posts

I do get the whole argument about heat capacity, but I would try ducting and alternate pads first. It's a lot cheaper to blow air through the stock disc than it is to put on aftermarket discs, calipers, and pads. If it still cooks the pads with the ducts, then you need to consider the big bucks.

One other thing - cryo treating the rotors seems to be pretty useful for rotor life according to some of the people I know. I've never done it because I've always used OEM rotors and the cost differential vs. service life is about equal. But if I were paying $300+ per rotor, I'd be cryo treating them for sure.
Old 11-30-06, 08:35 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by t.is350.h
I forgot to add something though.
brake don't really slow you down, good tires slow you down more.
Agree. But as mentioned above, it's the additional heat capacity (for road racing) that is important.
Old 11-30-06, 08:59 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I do get the whole argument about heat capacity, but I would try ducting and alternate pads first. It's a lot cheaper to blow air through the stock disc than it is to put on aftermarket discs, calipers, and pads. If it still cooks the pads with the ducts, then you need to consider the big bucks.
It's somewhat of a non-issue for me now as I don't have the time or $ to track the car. However, I've seen my share of homemade ducting apparati (spelling?) go wrong. If someone made a bulletproof system that won't fall/scrape off, and possibly puncture your tires at 100+ MPH, then I would definitely look into it.

If the situation had been different (and I took out another or several cars out with me) when my brakes faded, I'm sure my insurance company would have dropped me like a bad habit and that I would have an immensely hard time getting new coverage, not to mention what the new premiums would be...

If you're a novice to intermediate driver and the course is not particularly brutal on your brakes, the stockers (with some upgrades) will most likely be fine. I just see a BBK as insurance. It's expensive insurance, no doubt, but it will be the best $ you spent if it saves you from getting into an accident and getting hurt.

One other thing - cryo treating the rotors seems to be pretty useful for rotor life according to some of the people I know. I've never done it because I've always used OEM rotors and the cost differential vs. service life is about equal. But if I were paying $300+ per rotor, I'd be cryo treating them for sure.
I talked with Stoptech about this and they mentioned that the results of their testing were inconclusive as to the benefits. They saw absolutely no harm (besides the cost) but they didn't see any or enough +'s to justify it. With all of the other positive experiences out there though, it's probably not a bad idea.
Old 11-30-06, 10:53 AM
LexiGS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One question, If you have a million dollars in your pocket, would you buy yourself a scooter for daily drive? HELL NO.....but I'm sure your dream car will come true. It's just that simple. You are living on your own, not on other ppl's shoes....PEACE~
Old 11-30-06, 03:09 PM
IStreefidy
Pole Position

its not their money or their car, so does it really matter?
personally i like them, but to each his own!
Old 12-02-06, 12:50 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Zephyr
Can't we all just mod our cars to our own hearts and wallets desires? Who cares what others think, if you're modding for others appraisal, then you should rethink what you're doing.
exactly.......
Someone mentioned that people are moddifying the cars by adding 18" and up rims with the sacrifice of performance etc. etc.
Question, why are manufactures going to larger diameter rims for the OEM choice? lexus, Bmw, mercedes etc all run 18" and larger rims by design. Is there any performance value or is it more for marketing esthetics?
Old 12-02-06, 08:00 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
exactly.......
Someone mentioned that people are moddifying the cars by adding 18" and up rims with the sacrifice of performance etc. etc.
Question, why are manufactures going to larger diameter rims for the OEM choice? lexus, Bmw, mercedes etc all run 18" and larger rims by design. Is there any performance value or is it more for marketing esthetics?
both, with larger diameter wheels you can get lower profile tires which increase cornering and steering response, but it lowers ride quality, but looks good too
Old 12-02-06, 09:25 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, i was aware of all that, but I was refering the people that neigh say the people that mod the cars vs. what the manufacture has done at the factory. Basically if putting 18,19's are bad why are they doing it.........

anything above 19"s for a car this size is pushing it before it looks out of proportion, let alone has zero performance value......