IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

European Maintenance Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-06, 03:40 AM
jezza
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you dig deep you'll find even Lexus USA says you can go 7,500 miles if you don't use the car in dusty conditions or something like that. That's the way I'm leaning.
Actually, no, they don't. The online service guide that appears to apply to all IS's actually only applies to the IS300. I specifically submitted this question to Lexus, and their response was that 5000 mile service interval are required for the 250/350.

The bigger issue here regarding Euro vs NA service intervals is the fact that your engine warranty, if you car was bought in NA, is dependent on you following the prescribed service intervals, which in our case means 5000 miles.

I'm all for going longer than that on oil changes, when backed up with oil analysis to confirm that things are in fact hunky dory. But whether I'll choose to risk warranty coverage of any problems before the drivetrain warranty runs out.... probably not.
Old 12-02-06, 08:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,065 Likes on 2,462 Posts

I did oil analysis on my Supra. It got 10k changes even running 18 psi of boost. It now has 140k on the original build and still makes power just fine. The only thing that sucks oil is the exhaust valve stem seals are toast, so it blows a mean cloud of blue smoke on start up. Otherwise, its just fine.

Maybe it's because I only fed it Red Line, but I never have had any oil related issue with it. Ever.

I seriously doubt the 2GR-FSE will have any issues with decent oil and 10k changes. Unless they've lost their minds at Toyota and made the oil passages too small and too hot to keep the oil from thickening. I doubt it, but it's always possible.
Old 11-19-08, 11:32 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gtidan
A

If you dig deep you'll find even Lexus USA says you can go 7,500 miles if you don't use the car in dusty conditions or something like that. That's the way I'm leaning.
Is that still that case (7500 mile oil change intervals) per Lexus?
Old 11-19-08, 12:05 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
It was never the case if you read the rest of the thread

That said, the car should operate perfectly with changes of 10k miles (or longer with an excellent synthetic)
Old 11-19-08, 01:01 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kurtz
It was never the case if you read the rest of the thread

That said, the car should operate perfectly with changes of 10k miles (or longer with an excellent synthetic)
Interesting, because that's what 2 people working for the high-volume Lexus dealership here said last week (up to 7500 mile oil change interval). I wonder where they are seeing this.
Old 11-19-08, 01:04 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

One doesn't have to "dig deep" to find information about the 7,500 mile oil change interval. Information on whether to follow a 5,000 or a 7,500 mile oil change interval is prominently displayed in the maintenance manuals of both our Toyota and Lexus cars. The wording is the manuals is identical. The maintenance manual for the first Lexus we purchased almost 19 years ago - a 1990 LS400 - contained the same recommendations.

I have to wonder how many people read the maintenance manual that comes with each Toyota Motor Company product.

I suspect that the continuation of lower mileage oil change recommendations for the U.S. market has more to do with the lower cost of oil relative to other developed countries. The oil sludging problem of Toyota/Lexus V6 engines hasn't helped make people comfortable with longer oil change intervals either.
Old 11-19-08, 01:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kansas
One doesn't have to "dig deep" to find information about the 7,500 mile oil change interval. Information on whether to follow a 5,000 or a 7,500 mile oil change interval is prominently displayed in the maintenance manuals of both our Toyota and Lexus cars. The wording is the manuals is identical. The maintenance manual for the first Lexus we purchased almost 19 years ago - a 1990 LS400 - contained the same recommendations.

I have to wonder how many people read the maintenance manual that comes with each Toyota Motor Company product.

I suspect that the continuation of lower mileage oil change recommendations for the U.S. market has more to do with the lower cost of oil relative to other developed countries. The oil sludging problem of Toyota/Lexus V6 engines hasn't helped make people comfortable with longer oil change intervals either.
I will check my 07 IS350 manual again, don't recall seeing it at first glance.
Old 11-19-08, 01:12 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

You're apparently still relying on yours from a totally different car, with a totally different engine, from a totally different century.

The one for this car however says 5k miles. Period.

You can read the 2009 service and warranty guide here:
http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/Sedans.pdf

Page 44 is -very clear- that you should go in for scheduled maintenance (which includes an oil change) every 5000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. Last years said the same thing.

There is absolutely no mention of a 7500 mile interval whatsoever.

Last edited by Kurtz; 11-19-08 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-19-08, 01:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting, because that's what 2 people working for the high-volume Lexus dealership here said last week (up to 7500 mile oil change interval). I wonder where they are seeing this.
Question (above) still exists, but frankly I'm not worried about it.

I'll change my oil at 7000 miles sharp. Since any warranty claim that I could possibly have, this will not even come into play.
Old 11-20-08, 03:43 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
There is absolutely no mention of a 7500 mile interval whatsoever.
I stand corrected.

It is certainly odd that Toyota has dropped the 7,500 oil change interval for its Lexus cars while dramatically increasing oil change intervals for Lexus cars in other markets.

I wonder what the story is behind all this.
Old 11-20-08, 03:49 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I stand corrected.

It is certainly odd that Toyota has dropped the 7,500 oil change interval for its Lexus cars while dramatically increasing oil change intervals for Lexus cars in other markets.

I wonder what the story is behind all this.
Good question, especially since the best high volume dealership in this area is stating 7500 miles is still ok for normal usage. We all know modern oils are good for well over 5000 miles. That's why I'm going with 7K miles on my IS350.

The overly conservative interval is probably just the aftermath of their oil sludge fiasco.

btw, what are the European Lexus oil change intervals?
Old 11-20-08, 05:41 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Here it is in writing from Lexus dealership website:

"Determining The Proper Maintenance Interval
Your Lexus should receive scheduled maintenance every 5,000 to 7,500 miles (or every 4 to 6 months), depending on your circumstances and driving habits."
Old 11-21-08, 04:35 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Here it is in writing from Lexus dealership website:

"Determining The Proper Maintenance Interval
Your Lexus should receive scheduled maintenance every 5,000 to 7,500 miles (or every 4 to 6 months), depending on your circumstances and driving habits."
Lexus dealership IS NOT the same thing as Lexus. For example, many Lexus dealerships are not aware that the preferred oil for the 2IS was changed from 5W30 to 5W20.
Old 11-21-08, 07:30 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bichon
Lexus dealership IS NOT the same thing as Lexus. For example, many Lexus dealerships are not aware that the preferred oil for the 2IS was changed from 5W30 to 5W20.
Wow, don't expect much from a Lexus dealership.
Old 11-21-08, 10:14 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Why would Lexus explicitly call out shorter oil changes?

Because the dealerships expect you to pay them to do them and shorter intervals=more $ for them would be the really cynical answer.

The response-to-sludge answer is probably a good one as well, despite the 2IS not having the same engine as the cars impacted by it.

I'm guessing the 3k oil change thing isn't as ingrained in the minds of Europeans so it'd be a lot harder sell over there to shorten the intervals.

Quick Reply: European Maintenance Schedule