IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

D4S Replacement bulb questions. Melted wiring? OH NO!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-06 | 12:29 AM
ByoungWoo
Lead Lap

Unhappy D4S Replacement bulb questions. Melted wiring? OH NO!

So, I bought the 6000K D4S replacement bulb from Xenonvalot and the bulbs just came in today. I went to my local dealership to ask them to take the OEM bulbs out for me so I can put on my new 6000Ks and one of the technicians said that the replacement bulb will melt my current HID wiring; and if that happens it won't be covered under warranty . He even said he's seen it a couple of times when people tried this mod and their wires just completely melted.
My questions are, How is a bulb with the same wattage going to melt my wiring(is it because it burns a lot hotter than the OEM 4300Ks?)? Also, do any of you who already did this mod have lighting problems? (i.e. melted wiring or any other type of problems...if you don't know you might want to check the wiring ) Thanks in advance.
Hope everything turns out well.
-Justin
Old 11-30-06 | 12:41 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

it shouldn't melt the wiring. from what i know, they're supposed to be pulling the same wattage. no problems for me yet, its been only a month though. my friend who works at lexus and the parts manager both told me that the oem harnesses are very strong to begin with.
Old 11-30-06 | 12:42 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ByoungWoo
So, I bought the 6000K D4S replacement bulb from Xenonvalot and the bulbs just came in today. I went to my local dealership to ask them to take the OEM bulbs out for me so I can put on my new 6000Ks and one of the technicians said that the replacement bulb will melt my current HID wiring; and if that happens it won't be covered under warranty . He even said he's seen it a couple of times when people tried this mod and their wires just completely melted.
My questions are, How is a bulb with the same wattage going to melt my wiring(is it because it burns a lot hotter than the OEM 4300Ks?)? Also, do any of you who already did this mod have lighting problems? (i.e. melted wiring or any other type of problems...if you don't know you might want to check the wiring ) Thanks in advance.
Hope everything turns out well.
-Justin
Hey Justin, that's impossible!!! replacing the HID bulbs in your car will not melt the wiring. Like you said, they have the same wattage so it won't affect it. The only instance where I've heard of wires melting is when people buy the "super white" high wattage "blue" bulbs for their halogen headlights, and sometimes the wattage is too high or the wiring is not that great, so it melts. However, that shouldn't happen with your HID bulbs. The only thing you're doing is changing the bulbs for a "bluer" color temperature HID bulb.
Old 11-30-06 | 12:49 AM
ByoungWoo
Lead Lap

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought...same wattage no harm, right? Also, I didn't want to doubt Lexus making a weak harness for our HIDs. I didn't know what the tech was talking about =/....maybe just to scare me just in case I ****ed up while installing? Thanks Jsquared and Alex for your fast response.
Old 11-30-06 | 06:33 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, don't forget to post some pics once you get those HID bulbs installed
Old 11-30-06 | 07:04 AM
totalstu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jsquared
it shouldn't melt the wiring. from what i know, they're supposed to be pulling the same wattage. no problems for me yet, its been only a month though. my friend who works at lexus and the parts manager both told me that the oem harnesses are very strong to begin with.
Hi JS,

I notice something with the stock HID that I wonder if by changing to the 6000K xenonvalet bulbs will it be gone. When I get close enough to the car in front of me the top of the light on the bumper looks a bit yellow. I thought it may be the driving light, or whatever that is called, but now I'm thinking it may be the 4100k or 4300k stock hid that is putting out that yellow. I see the same yellowish when I park in front of my garage. I see a tinge of blue at the sides of the light but yellow on top. Hopefully you know what I'm talking about so you can answer my question.

Thanks
Old 11-30-06 | 07:14 AM
Koz

Make sure you use dielectric compound/grease on the connections. It really makes a difference in how much heat is generated at the connections.

Koz
Old 11-30-06 | 07:35 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

what's a fuse suppose to do ...
Old 11-30-06 | 07:49 AM
Koz

If the amperage doesn't reach the fuse's threshold it will not blow/open but the actual heat that is generated could still melt wires.

Koz
Old 11-30-06 | 08:40 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by totalstu
Hi JS,

I notice something with the stock HID that I wonder if by changing to the 6000K xenonvalet bulbs will it be gone. When I get close enough to the car in front of me the top of the light on the bumper looks a bit yellow. I thought it may be the driving light, or whatever that is called, but now I'm thinking it may be the 4100k or 4300k stock hid that is putting out that yellow. I see the same yellowish when I park in front of my garage. I see a tinge of blue at the sides of the light but yellow on top. Hopefully you know what I'm talking about so you can answer my question.

Thanks
i'm guessing it is the parking light. the stock hid's should be pretty much white with maybe a very slight blue tint. the parking lights are just plain 194 bulbs, the same as the puddle lamps, vanity lights, and interior front dome light. you can see that those are just the plain white-yellow color. the way the lights are positioned, the parking lights are placed slightly higher the hids.
Old 11-30-06 | 08:49 AM
totalstu
Pole Position

i'm guessing it is the parking light. the stock hid's should be pretty much white with maybe a very slight blue tint. the parking lights are just plain 194 bulbs, the same as the puddle lamps, vanity lights, and interior front dome light. you can see that those are just the plain white-yellow color. the way the lights are positioned, the parking lights are placed slightly higher the hids.
Thanks

I'm actually changing out the parking/driving light, along with the high beam/drl once I get my car in to have the fogs changed to HID. I was planning on going 4300K fogs to match the stock HID but then this yellow thing got me thinking I should go for the more expensive 6000K fogs and spend some money on upgrading the stock HID to 6000k. I can save like $600
by not going to 6000K all around.
Old 11-30-06 | 08:58 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

haha too late for me... but yeah, it should look good with everything matching. post pics after! how much are you spending on the fogs? the 6000k fogs shouldn't be priced more than the 4300k fogs. if anything, maybe $20.

XenonDepot is having a GB right now for hid kits, the parking light leds should be like $10 and it seems that you can get the bulb replacement for anywhere between $150-250 depending on where. so based on this, from stock to 6000k, you could replace the whole front lighting for $600-700.
Old 11-30-06 | 09:05 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

I replaced the parking lights and they are definitely not the culprit for the slight yellowish line right at the upper hid cutoff. It's just how the projector housings and shields are designed.
Old 11-30-06 | 09:06 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Alex350
Hey, don't forget to post some pics once you get those HID bulbs installed
x2. a pic after you change out one side for a good comparison would be great.
Old 11-30-06 | 09:15 AM
r1lee
Intermediate

Yes, please take a pic of one side done vs. stock. I would love to do the same. But would like to see the outcome first.

Quick Reply: D4S Replacement bulb questions. Melted wiring? OH NO!