IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I REGRET Not Getting Nav! Now WANT IT!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-06, 03:32 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBatman
Your best option is to trade it in for a car with Nav.

You could go aftermarket in your current car, but IMO aftermarket nav units never look as clean as stock ones.
I'd agree. Not only do they not look as clean, they probably don't work as well or integrate like an OEM one does. Plus you could upgrade to ML... Of course you might take a major hit on depreciation if you do a trade in... Might be a LOT cheaper to get one of those cool ones have have the screen that folds in when not in use.
Old 11-30-06, 04:36 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Value is in the eye of the beholder

Originally Posted by dkaplan435
I'd agree. Not only do they not look as clean, they probably don't work as well or integrate like an OEM one does. Plus you could upgrade to ML... Of course you might take a major hit on depreciation if you do a trade in... Might be a LOT cheaper to get one of those cool ones have have the screen that folds in when not in use.
Without a doubt. I wish I had forked the extra $2500 for Nav. at the time of purchase
But I got a steal on a base 350...35K. My brother paid 39K for his with base Nav. Ahem...I just made a final payment of $2K after finanacing $21K with LFS. My trade and down payment was $15K. I had to do it like this and understood no mods and suffering for a year...my credit/interest sucked! Now I need to recoup. Wheels maybe in summer, but I really need to evaluate that when I will have funds for that...because this payment adventure has taught me how expensive our cars really are. With insurance, interest, tags, maintenance...it is easily a $50K investment for me over time. That not to mention damn premium fuel...Damn oil pushers!

I went back to the dealer a month after my purchase to query about the Nav. and they also said about $8-10K...No way!

They appraised my base 350 with 600 miles at $31K...Depreciation is a fact of life. Then to purchase the new 350 I wanted would have been again...$8-10K...No Way! Probably best option at the time...if you value the NAV that bad...but try to sell your ride yourself if you can.

I agree with everyone with the NAV though. I ride in my brother's 350 all the time and besides all the obvious features, sets the interior off.
And It's Lexus stuff not aftermarket (warranty, Cam, value, etc.) very clean!

With all that being said, I am content with perhaps a Garmin which will do a great job at Navigation...although unless out of town...cost does not meet value for me unless discounted top of line Garmin. But again riding with my Brother again, if you don't need it...you will not need it...It can get old...and remember your cost savings (real cost, interest on loan, NAV headaches, etc.). Whenever someone gets in his car the first time they get all excited about the backup cam. Yes, but you will get over it...or it's whatever you value.

Garmin is great and like someone said it has great portability value! anyone could use that portability. So in the end go with what will give you the most value. Peace of mind, pleasure, money, resale...or whatever.
Old 11-30-06, 06:15 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think most of us have gps in our phones, all of the lastest one's do (from sprint). this will suffice as my portable unit (rental car, other people's car, etc). but i agree, it's nearly impossible for me to ever purchase another car without the nav.
Old 11-30-06, 06:30 PM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't anyone use road maps anymore?
Old 11-30-06, 07:00 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trade it in they are give like 5 grand off on Fully loaded 06's
Old 11-30-06, 07:11 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm still amazed at those that think converting to a Nav system is simply a 'pull out the old and plug in the new' proposition. When you understand how integrated the Nav system is into the whole IS experience you'd immediately know it really is not an option. Dealers who quote $8-10k are just blowing smoke as I seriously doubt any sane dealer would even attempt to put in a Nav unit in a car that didn't originally come like that. He would be flying blind as I doubt there are any type of 'instructions' from Toyota as to how to do this type of install. The bits and pieces that comprise the whole system would be difficult to duplicate from scratch using ordered Lexus parts.

I'd never been in a car with Nav before I got the Lexus, but I had decided I had worked hard enough in my life and I wanted the whole package of Nav/ML/XM Radio, as well as the Sports Package. I was ignorant and didn't realize that the odds of finding this combination in a dealer's stock is pretty slim. Lucky me the dealer had just this exact combination sitting on his showroom floor. Bought it and I've never regretted it.

I believe any car the price of a Lexus should come with Nav standard. It's the last 5% of the purchase, yet it adds a LOT more than 5% to the total enjoyment of the automobile. Even my wife who is not into gizmos and technology commented last week she really liked the Nav unit as an aid in navigating. Buying a small compact car for transportation, you don't need a Nav system. But a Lexus? You gotta' have it. That's just my opinion.
Old 11-30-06, 07:39 PM
Sarorn
Driver

Default Not The End Of The World w/o NAV!

OK everyone, I know that having nav is a very convenient and useful option, but the fact of the matter is, I dont have it on my car!

I sat in my car for about an hour today looking to see where I can place one of those cool after market decks that have those motorized nav screens. IMO, those motorized decks are much much cooler than the stock nav systems on the IS...so take that!! all you lucky IS owners that got the nav pre-installed in their package!!!

I saw on a previous post how someone made a custom dash to fit a motorized nav system...looked pretty good...but it just seems a bit awkward. He basically took out the lower part of the dash where the cd insert is and replaced it with an aftermarket deck...everything else above it remained the same.

Has anyone out there successfully installed an aftermarket deck? So far I've only seen one.
Old 11-30-06, 07:45 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys.

I have all the after market parts.

Eclipse Nav Unit/BackupCam/Sirus/and IPOD controller/and TV UNIT!.

Onlything Next is to get it installed.

SOon Verrry Soon...

I will post pix as soon as it is done.... DOUBLE DIN

Wish me luck
Old 11-30-06, 08:53 PM
Soda
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexy GS430
Trade it in they are give like 5 grand off on Fully loaded 06's
If they're discounting the new ones 5k then they're definitely gonna hit the book back 5k on a used one. Wholesale book, NOT retail.
Old 11-30-06, 09:39 PM
MegaIS350
Driver School Candidate

My first experience with NAV was on a rental car during business travel. Never rent without it again. Knowing you probably won't get lost is not a luxury in my book.

Recently, I was driving my beatup Integra, picking up my in laws at another city. I knew how to get there but it was night when we left. Turns out the exit for the freeway back was closed but no signs telling the detour. Actually the signs were a few streets back but I did not know the ramp was closed until too late. Going around streets I never driven before at night was not only frustrating but dangerous. Ended up going the other way on the freeway and making a long U-turn.
Old 12-01-06, 09:13 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink The backup view did it.

Our IS is for my wife, and she didn’t want one with nav. Why, she can hardly turn on our TV with the remote. But when we took a test drive the car happened to have nav. When she put it in reverse and saw the backup view she immediately changed her mind and wanted one with nav.

About two months ago she was looking at retirement homes for her elderly aunt and had to put in at least 10 destinations throughout the day in the process. Much to my surprise she was able to do it with no trouble (Of course I had made her view the CD tutorial beforehand). She also learned to use the voice command phone system with no difficulty. Now she’s a believer, and we’ll never have a car without navigation again.
Old 12-01-06, 11:31 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e
Guys.
I have all the after market parts.
Eclipse Nav Unit/BackupCam/Sirus/and IPOD controller/and TV UNIT!.
Onlything Next is to get it installed.
SOon Verrry Soon...
I will post pix as soon as it is done.... DOUBLE DIN
Wish me luck
Definitely do! And prices! Not that i'm looking to do it (depends on many things...), but i'm very curious hwo it looks and the cost/labor involved.
Old 12-01-06, 11:32 AM
The Chad
Driver

My opinion on the nav is this...

Some people need it, some people don't. I think that the screen and the interface makes the dash look more complete than without it. I would rather see Lexus include the screen, backup camera, and Bluetooth on every car, and the navigation feature should be the only addition. Toyota is all about safety, and those features make the car safer.
Old 12-01-06, 01:30 PM
khoongy
Driver

i dont have nav, i leased my IS 350 =( .. but then i get to get a new lexus in 2 years
Old 12-02-06, 05:44 PM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

When I first bought my Acura back in '04 I thought why would I need to spend the extra money on a nav system...and I regretted not getting it. It's a fun, but useful toy to have and definately a luxury with the voice activated features. I've lost count of how many times I've used my nav to look up a restaurant to get their phone number to make a reservation. Plus it really helps get me around whenever I drive out to Chicago or Madison.

Quick Reply: I REGRET Not Getting Nav! Now WANT IT!!