IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I REGRET Not Getting Nav! Now WANT IT!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-06, 06:56 AM
Sarorn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I REGRET Not Getting Nav! Now WANT IT!!

I have to admit, I was a bit too excited when picking out my Lexus. I went with the Tungsten Pearl without Nav because I didnt want to wait the 2 months for them to ship one down. Now that I'm thinking about it, I should've waited. I got the Luxury Package, everything is in it, except the NAV.

Can I purchase the Nav console somewhere and have it installed? What aftermarket Nav' options do I have?

I was at the local Stereo/gagdet store yesterday and was checking out one of those motorized DVD/NAV decks...they're so cool...but where would I put it? What DO I DO?

Any suggestions? Thanks everyone!
Old 11-30-06, 07:09 AM
eddiec
Pole Position

The truth is that you can't purchase the Nav console! Call your dealer and ask him whether you can pay some money to get another car with Nav. BTW, how old is your car?
Old 11-30-06, 07:55 AM
TheBatman
Driver

Your best option is to trade it in for a car with Nav.

You could go aftermarket in your current car, but IMO aftermarket nav units never look as clean as stock ones.
Old 11-30-06, 08:06 AM
gassman
Pole Position

I did this trade and had to PAY! I had a good deal with an '06 but wanted NAV, so they got an '07 and had to fork out the savings plus more$$$ to get what I wanted I am glad I did. NAV is the way to go.
Old 11-30-06, 08:16 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand why people other than ones who drives to unknown places daily need a NAV. I go to work and go home on a daily basis. For the money people spend on the NAV option, you can have someone drive you there in a nice Towncar.

Why, why, why?
Old 11-30-06, 08:19 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

because you can get lost in familiar places and just press the "home" button and itll lead you out

plus its really good for pickign places to eat
Old 11-30-06, 08:35 AM
lexKimmel
Driver

Originally Posted by jewel
because you can get lost in familiar places and just press the "home" button and itll lead you out

plus its really good for pickign places to eat

My PDA does all that but the back up cam thats why I didnt get it on the upside it also plays MP3s over the gps wich is cool plus if I dont take my car out of town I can bring it with to use in a rental some place I don't know where I am.

but some what do wish I got the Nav for the cam and to watch movies on (even though the PDA does that also)

Oh well one less thing to worry about breaking. Yes I plan on keeping this car for a while. that does'nt say I'm not getting the Skyline later

Last edited by lexKimmel; 11-30-06 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-30-06, 09:14 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
I don't understand why people other than ones who drives to unknown places daily need a NAV. I go to work and go home on a daily basis. For the money people spend on the NAV option, you can have someone drive you there in a nice Towncar.

Why, why, why?
Other than inputting destinations, which I admit many of us don’t do that often, there are other nav features that are useful:
• It will show you the closest gas stations, restaurants, ATM’s or other points of interest. The gas station feature can be quite useful when you’re nearly empty. And I love to give the voice command “I’m hungry” and watch all the restaurant icons pop up.
• With Bluetooth technology and voice commands, you get all those hands free phone features that are invaluable, and much safer than using a regular cell phone.
• The screen shows what direction you’re going. I always like to know that.
• The screen shows approaching specific street names where you may need to make a turn.
• The screen will also display approaching freeway entrances that you otherwise wouldn’t know.
• It enhances the resale value of your car because in a few years nav systems will be as common in cars as radios.
Old 11-30-06, 10:29 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

I think your best bet would be to trade-in for a nav-equipped IS. However, be prepared for the dealer to take a big bite out of the value in your existing car. In this connection, if your car is in reasonably good shape you may want to consider selling it yourself.
Old 11-30-06, 10:37 AM
Sarorn
Driver

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your prompt replies.
I just picked up the car two weeks ago! I don't know if I want to pay the difference and trade it back in, especially when its so new. Plus, I'd have to do all that paper work with financing and everything again. This sux!

I thought I'd be able to buy just the console, but I just got off the phone with the local dealer here and they do not sell it.
I'm going to try calling the dealerships in Detroit (I live along the Border between Canada and the US).

Will let you know the outcome.
Old 11-30-06, 10:46 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

It's a big regret for myself as well. I really wish I bought one with Nav instead of just rushing to get one.

I think in the long run, there will be so many cars on the road with Nav, that eventually if you don't have it equipped, it will hurt your resale value of the car.
Old 11-30-06, 10:47 AM
Sarorn
Driver

Everyone,
Get this...
I just got off the phone with the Lexus dealership in Detroit, and the parts guy told me that in order to swap out the exhisting console and put the Nav screen in, it will cost up to $10,000!!!! He said the Nav screen alone is $7000, plus the cost of changing all the wire harnesses in order to do the swap! I think I'm gonna keep my existing console.

Now...after market...how am I going to put in an aftermarket Nav system and still make the console area still look luxurious?!?! HELP!
Old 11-30-06, 10:48 AM
j|michael
Driver

The nav and the backup camera are the two features I was most skeptical of at first, and now the ones that I feel the most dependent on. Aside from my IS350 I drive a Yukon Denali, which has neither. Whenever I'm in that car, I feel so utterly lost. Also I've basically forgotten how to parallel park using my mirrors.

And for the every-day commuters, the most helpful feature of nav I've found is always knowing what street I'm on. Nav actually helped me find a new commuting route which shaved 15 minutes from my commute. That's after I've been doing the same one for like four years.
Old 11-30-06, 10:48 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a whole lot more to change than just adding a new center instrument panel. The main dash board wiring harness has to be replaced. That wiring harness stretches in to the trunk. Then the modules for the NAV, bluetooth, and other functions would have to be added, not to mention replacing or reprogramming some of the car's computers. Search on here for "add ML" and "add NAV" for several threads already saying it is not worth the effort.
Old 11-30-06, 11:19 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarorn
Everyone,
Get this...
I just got off the phone with the Lexus dealership in Detroit, and the parts guy told me that in order to swap out the exhisting console and put the Nav screen in, it will cost up to $10,000!!!! He said the Nav screen alone is $7000, plus the cost of changing all the wire harnesses in order to do the swap! I think I'm gonna keep my existing console.

Now...after market...how am I going to put in an aftermarket Nav system and still make the console area still look luxurious?!?! HELP!
I don't know why you are surprised. Everyone in this thread (and in dozens of similar threads you can find by using the search function of the forum) would tell you the same thing -- that Lexus doesn't offer an upgrade, and that changing all of the parts and harnesses needed to install it will almost certainly be more costly than trading the car for one with the factory option.

Quick Reply: I REGRET Not Getting Nav! Now WANT IT!!