IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

If I could turn back time... if I could find a way?....

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-06, 06:01 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

335i with sport option and European delivery.
Old 12-01-06, 06:09 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

I would have gotten the Nav and ML aside from that, this car rocks!

Here in Houston, if I kick up a rock on any of the freeways, it would hit at least three Mercedes C Classes or BMW 3 series before it hit the ground again, LOL!

I drove and seriously researched every comparable car BEFORE buying the IS... IMHO the IS delivers the best Bang for the Buck
Old 12-01-06, 08:16 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Hmmm, why not just buy the 350 badge then?

Anyway, if you are trading your car in... I would suggest looking for a used IS350.

The loaded cars lose their values the quickest. So you can get a pretty good deal.
Buying the 350 badge and putting it on a 250 is flat out stupid. I can't stand it when people do that. It screams "I couldn't afford the better model, but I'm going to pretend that I have one anyways"

My brother and I were ridin in his Vette and we pulled up next to this guy in a 2003 or so 3-series. He had chrome 18s, his windows were down and he was bumpin some heavy rap like he was hot poop. I started looking closely at his car and he had an M3 Badge on the car as well as a Dinan badge. With the lack of the M3 underbody kit, lack of a dual exhaust, and black plastic trim around the rear bumper, we knew this was no M3. The guy looks at us and starts revving his engine, my brother laughs, shakes his head, the light turns green and the guy takes off, my brother let him go for a second before he floored it and we flew right by him. All we could do was laugh. I mean seriously, what's the point of pretending to have something you dont?

That's my rant, don't want to hijack this thread but that post I quoted really got to me.
Old 12-01-06, 09:30 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bah, I have an IS350 and it doesnt bother me at all. If the poster above my other post just wants people to stop tailgating then cutting him off... and thinks the badge will solve the problem. Id say do it.

Its a lot better than trading in the car for the 350. My cousin and I went to the Lexus dealer. His IS250 didnt fare well at all. His IS dropped from 33K to 23K(trade in, though they offered him 26K). -> He was looking at trading for a 250 with Nav.

Normally I would say debadge the car. But there are holes behind the badge.
Old 12-01-06, 10:26 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

mine is exactly the way i wanted it. although if i had to do it again, right now, i'd go for the 335 instead.
Old 12-01-06, 11:39 AM
Fleainat
Pole Position

I wish I had gotten a spoiler, but I can always add it later. I don't think I would have needed nav...
Old 12-01-06, 11:52 AM
homer4598
Pole Position

Originally Posted by linh811
mine is exactly the way i wanted it. although if i had to do it again, right now, i'd go for the 335 instead.
It's interesting -- this is at least the 2nd post that said they'd go for the 335 instead. I have an IS350 on order so I've been kicking it around a lot. The 335 is a nice car, especially the coupe. But I just can't see why I'd pick that car over the IS. The 335 interior doesn't seem as nice, the technology doesn't seem as nice, the looks aren't any better (not really any worse either). The one thing that the 335 DOES have is the twin turbo engine and the manual transmission so it's a little faster. That's great and all, but since it's the first model year with the twin turbo, no way I want to jump on that. The car seems to be having some problems judging from the BMW forums. Plus, it's a good chunk of money more just because it has the BMW name plate.

335 is definitely a nice car though. Hmmmm.
Old 12-01-06, 11:56 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

I would have bought it from Pohanka Lexus as opposed to Lindsay Lexus...I would have asked for all season tires as opposed to summer performance tires, and lastly I would have asked the salesman to throw in the 18" ISP mode alloys, and the complete ground effects kit to seal the deal...i did pay 45k for my car, jeez.
Old 12-01-06, 12:13 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buds
Buying the 350 badge and putting it on a 250 is flat out stupid. I can't stand it when people do that. It screams "I couldn't afford the better model, but I'm going to pretend that I have one anyways"

My brother and I were ridin in his Vette and we pulled up next to this guy in a 2003 or so 3-series. He had chrome 18s, his windows were down and he was bumpin some heavy rap like he was hot poop. I started looking closely at his car and he had an M3 Badge on the car as well as a Dinan badge. With the lack of the M3 underbody kit, lack of a dual exhaust, and black plastic trim around the rear bumper, we knew this was no M3. The guy looks at us and starts revving his engine, my brother laughs, shakes his head, the light turns green and the guy takes off, my brother let him go for a second before he floored it and we flew right by him. All we could do was laugh. I mean seriously, what's the point of pretending to have something you dont?

That's my rant, don't want to hijack this thread but that post I quoted really got to me.
dude, you have to stop thinking that way. people have a right to do whatever they want to do. sure you are allowed to think whatever you want as well but don't waste your time hating them. it's america and people are free to display whatever, if he wants to show IS350, that's his right. so what if they can't afford it, maybe that's not it at all. but it's hardly stupid, it's only a badge. i bet you don't care if an is300 shows the is350 badge. actually it's you that feeling like you paid more so someone who didn't pay as much as you shouldn't be allowed. that's it, isn't it?
Old 12-01-06, 01:08 PM
Ericm
Driver School Candidate

Default Change?

I am very happy with the Crystal White on Black interior and glad I didn’t settle for the Black on Black. The only thing I would change: To wait for the Luxury Package. I think memory seats and mirrors would have been nice, since I’m 6'1 and my wife’s 5'4. It’s a pain adjusting after each other... The auto tilt mirror in reverse would be nice also, especially for parallel parking and backing out of the driveway.

I had doubts at first about the 2.5L vs. 3.5L. I think the 2.5L delivers plenty of power, and probably would be in trouble with 3.5L .
Old 12-01-06, 02:55 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Reyngel
. . . a lot of what makes a buyer's decision comes from the "image" the car projects. It that wasn't true, all of us would be driving Honda Insights.
Couldn't disagree with you more. I would never drive a Honda Insight, under any circumstance. I drive a IS because for me, it simply is the best all-around vehicle in its size & class PERIOD. The argument for a IS250 vs 350 would be stronger, as I prolly would've bought a 250 if I found one that was equipped exactly like my 350. Point being, if the IS had a Toyota or Honda badge instead, I still would've bought it in a heartbeat, being a Lexus was just icing on the cake . . .
Old 12-01-06, 03:12 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by homer4598
It's interesting -- this is at least the 2nd post that said they'd go for the 335 instead. I have an IS350 on order so I've been kicking it around a lot. The 335 is a nice car, especially the coupe. But I just can't see why I'd pick that car over the IS. The 335 interior doesn't seem as nice, the technology doesn't seem as nice, the looks aren't any better (not really any worse either). The one thing that the 335 DOES have is the twin turbo engine and the manual transmission so it's a little faster. That's great and all, but since it's the first model year with the twin turbo, no way I want to jump on that. The car seems to be having some problems judging from the BMW forums. Plus, it's a good chunk of money more just because it has the BMW name plate.

335 is definitely a nice car though. Hmmmm.
You just outlined the two reasons, at least for me, to make it worth the premium.
1. manual
2. twin turbos

I could care less about the bimmer nameplate, I've owned a 330Ci and there's nothing "special" about owning a bimmer.

With a simple ECU mod, the 335 should be "in the ballpark" of the IS500 in terms of performance.

I rarely drive a car past it's warranty period, I live literally less than a mile from Lexus, Infiniti, Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes etc... so I don't mind taking the car in for service. In fact, I schedule long road trips every time I get a loaner to beat up
Old 12-01-06, 03:30 PM
is250awd1
Driver School Candidate

let the battle of IS350 vs. 335i begin.........again. lol. I would of like to get the 350 if it wasnt for the fact that we get tons of snow here and a car without AWD is kinda risky to drive.
Old 12-01-06, 09:46 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

To respond, I'd never put a 350 badge on my 250. I just don't think that's very tasteful. Also, it's not that the whole "passing" thing is the ONLY reason why I'm considering trading in for a 350. I mean, do think it'd be great to have the extra 100hp.
Old 12-02-06, 12:24 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

uh... weird reference to cher's song. creepy.
/off-topic

if i could do my purchase over again, i'd opt for the front chin and rear lip spoiler installed from the factory, but i'm happy w/ what i have for now.

Quick Reply: If I could turn back time... if I could find a way?....