IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Quick Question - Does installing aftermarket suspension void your warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-06, 08:42 PM
nupe1911
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Question - Does installing aftermarket suspension void your warranty?

I just wanted to know if you void your warranty after installing aftermarket suspensions like a Eibach Pro Kit or Tein Springs? I was wondering this because some many members have aftermarket suspensions and I plan to drop my soon to be IS350 also. Sorry if this question has been posted before
Old 11-30-06, 08:50 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Yes it will void the warranty of your stock suspension which wont be on your car anymore. Anything that they will claim that voided the warranty has to be proven that it was a result of the modifcation of your car. Say you drop your lex like 3.5 inches and you rub a hole in your oil pan...no dice on getting that thing taken care of through warranty. Basic things cant be refused though.
Old 11-30-06, 09:10 PM
Soda
Pole Position

Borat's correct.
Old 12-01-06, 09:21 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No warranty would cover rubbing holes in an oil pan regardless of mods. Adding aftermarket springs would certainly void the warranty on bushings, wheel bearings, hubs, shocks, wheels, alignment, squeaks, and rattles, and possibly CV joints, tie rods, steering rack, etc.
Old 12-01-06, 02:40 PM
nupe1911
Driver School Candidate

No warranty would cover rubbing holes in an oil pan regardless of mods. Adding aftermarket springs would certainly void the warranty on bushings, wheel bearings, hubs, shocks, wheels, alignment, squeaks, and rattles, and possibly CV joints, tie rods, steering rack, etc.
Old 12-01-06, 03:04 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

The Pro-Kit isn't very agressive at all, so it shouldn't cause any significant wear on any of the suspension components. I installed the springs myself, and haven't had any problems since (~4K miles).

I had JIC FLT-A2's on my previous car (Honda S2000), and they may have increased the wear on my rear bearings. I had to replace them about every 40K miles.
Old 12-01-06, 03:42 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

i have seen dealers sell the prokit on alot of cars, like Gernby said its not an aggressive drop, i have had mine on for about the same duration, and have not had a single issue.
google mossmagnussen act. its your best freind if you plan to do any alterations to your car. What i think is funny is how the dealer can do the same type of moddifications and say that nothing could happen, but ifyou mention it they act like your car will fall apart. It comes down to money IMO, if the dealer does not rape you (like 400.00 to install springs) then it will void your warranty and your car will implode.
Old 12-01-06, 05:41 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
google mossmagnussen act. its your best freind if you plan to do any alterations to your car.
When you do, make sure you actually read the Magnusson Moss act, not a possibly biased interpretation of it by a third party vendor or trade association. The applicable section of the act referenced by third party sellers was enacted to prevent tie-in sales of replacement parts, e.g., a manufacturer can't require that you buy their oil filters instead of an equivalent replacement from a company like Fram or Purolator, to keep the warranty in force. It was not intended to protect people who replace working original parts with high performance replacements in order to boost performance; in particular, I don't see it applying to those remaining parts that the modification may stress beyond their original design.

Last edited by Bichon; 12-01-06 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-01-06, 06:23 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

good point...... it was not ment to give out a free pass to do what you like, its more of a tool, and source of knowlege so that the dealer cannot tell you "oh, you have a lowered car" we can not do your scheduled maintance.
sorry for the confusion.
Old 12-01-06, 06:35 PM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

actuley the m-m-act states that the auto would have to prove that what you did cauesed the problem and sence lowering the car the wheel travel will be with in normal travel. but i think like the cv might have a problem with
Old 12-01-06, 07:28 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by slowandlow
actuley the m-m-act states that the auto would have to prove that what you did cauesed the problem and sence lowering the car the wheel travel will be with in normal travel. but i think like the cv might have a problem with
I'll have what he's having... :doper: LOL

In truth, the dealer can deny any claim he thinks he can get away with, and they often do. Quite often, they will deny a claim because they expect you won't pursue it any further. I don't know who would have the burden of proof in court, but fighting it in court is often too expensive to deal with.

There are many cases on the Honda forums where legitimate warranty claims were denied for new engines, and they took years and several thousands in legal expenses to resolve.
Old 12-01-06, 07:56 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by slowandlow
Okay here is the act: http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h..._15_10_50.html

Please show me where it says that the manufacturer has to prove that what you did caused the problem.
Old 12-01-06, 08:04 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bichon
Okay here is the act: http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h..._15_10_50.html

Please show me where it says that the manufacturer has to prove that what you did caused the problem.
What stance are you taking? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but it isn't totally clear. If you are saying that Lexus can deny warranty on defective shocks due to aftermarket lowering springs, then I agree. If you are saying that Lexus can deny warranty coverage on a blown engine due to aftermarket lowering springs, then I disagree.
Old 12-01-06, 08:13 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

here we go........
Old 12-01-06, 09:02 PM
nupe1911
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the advice fellas

Quick Reply: Quick Question - Does installing aftermarket suspension void your warranty?