IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ISX50 Alarm sufficient to protect the car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-06, 01:29 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've added an aftermarket glass sensor for $90 installed. It will not stop any motivated thief from stealing the car. But at least the alarm will go off once the glass is broken. I'd rather have the alarm going off while they are doing their thing rather than total silence. Consider it a deterent. Yes the damage would already be done, but at least they might think twice about going further if the alarm is going off. Plus, $90 is not expensive at all.
Old 12-01-06, 01:42 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is actually a module made by DEI (Valet) that works with existing factory keyless entry.

It features shock sensor and engine immobilizer.

The module senses the LOCK and UNLOCK (-) pulse to be activated.

This module includes shock sensor and siren.
Old 12-01-06, 02:18 PM
istundra
Pole Position

I found it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Automate-415-Car...em260057845752

It is actually Automate model # 415.

Very cheap price on ebay. whoever who wins the bid, please share your experiences.
Old 12-01-06, 02:20 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Here is the operation manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
G415A_6-99_Automate.pdf (334.5 KB, 742 views)
Old 12-01-06, 02:22 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by istundra
I found it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Automate-415-Car...em260057845752

It is actually Automate model # 415.

Very cheap price on ebay. whoever who wins the bid, please share your experiences.
There isn't any description of the alarm, but it looks like it has its own remote, which means you would still have to carry the OEM FOB to start the car.
Old 12-01-06, 02:25 PM
istundra
Pole Position

No it does not. Download the PDF and read the operation instructions.

It senses your OEM Keyless.
Old 12-01-06, 02:31 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
All that for a V1...maybe if you had a gold plated v1 with a 1,000 bucks stuck to it. Theives are such tool bags..get a day job.
I'm surprised they messed around with the V1 at all considering the thousands of dollars worth of tools in my garage. Tools are much easier to sell at pawn shops, but they didn't take anything. Idiots...
Old 12-01-06, 02:40 PM
dajwilson
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The majority of factory alarms out there are not sufficient enough to protect your car from getting stolen. You have to go aftermarket. That's questionable too. When you're dealing with a low class thief......if they can't steal your car, they may damage it in other ways out of frustration. So you at least get to keep your car, but you have to lose it for a week or so while it's getting fixed.
Old 12-01-06, 03:11 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dajwilson
The majority of factory alarms out there are not sufficient enough to protect your car from getting stolen. You have to go aftermarket. That's questionable too. When you're dealing with a low class thief......if they can't steal your car, they may damage it in other ways out of frustration. So you at least get to keep your car, but you have to lose it for a week or so while it's getting fixed.
The only thing the stock alarm needs to prevent itself from being stolen is a motion detector. The immobilizer will prevent it from being driven away better than any aftermarket alarm, so the only other way to steal it is by towing. If it's being towed, a motion detector would trigger the OEM alarm.
Old 12-01-06, 03:16 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't waste the cash on a shock sensor. By the time they break your window and the alarm goes off, it will take all of 2 seconds to reach in and grab whatever they're after. The key is to keep valuables out of obvious view...this is why I don't have a radar detector, any aftermarket electronics, etc. in the car. Most thieves are going to go for the easiest target.
Old 12-01-06, 03:41 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Shock sensors don't always detect glass breakage anyway, which is why glass breakage sensors are used. IMO, the purpose for these sensors is to CATCH the theives, or scare the hell out of them so they won't do it again. I fear that the theives that broke into my car will try it again since my alarm didn't make a peep the first time.
Old 12-01-06, 06:11 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
anyone with a laptop and ten minutes of free time can drive away in your vehicle. LOL
lol, very true. But i'm willing to take that risk for now... Damn low encryption rfid
Old 12-01-06, 07:17 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kensteele
anyone with a laptop and ten minutes of free time can drive away in your vehicle. LOL
How did you come to this opinion? I'm a techie from way back, and have been developing automotive computer hardware and software for years (see last link in my sig). I wouldn't have a clue how to override the OEM immobilizer without having a mated ECU and FOB to swap into the vehicle. Of course, a laptop wouldn't be involved with that anyway.
Old 12-01-06, 08:38 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gernby
How did you come to this opinion? I'm a techie from way back, and have been developing automotive computer hardware and software for years (see last link in my sig). I wouldn't have a clue how to override the OEM immobilizer without having a mated ECU and FOB to swap into the vehicle. Of course, a laptop wouldn't be involved with that anyway.
nah, not my opinion. just some stupid internet rumor i was repeating. i think it happened like maybe "twice"....overseas lol.
Old 12-01-06, 08:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,424 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMut
lol, very true. But i'm willing to take that risk for now... Damn low encryption rfid
Where did you hear this? I've done a little research into this because I make my living with information security (I'm a CISSP), it's not nearly as low tech as you might think. I have a reasonable understanding of encryption technologies, and I have access to some very smart people about encryption. The way I understand it, the system uses a challenge & response with the FOB to set a shared secret. Acknowledgement of the correct shared secret is used to generate a certificate from the certificate ECU, and the certificate is checked by the ECM before it loads the firmware.

You would need to derive a sequence number from the certificate ECU that will be used next to generate the shared secret.

Someone has demonstrated cracking this system without a FOB? Or are they claiming they can scan the FOB and hack it? I'd really like to see it.

Ah - found this
Originally Posted by Factory Service Manual page EI-5
SYSTEM FUNCTION
(a) Using entry function
(1) When the driver (or passenger) is sitting in the vehicle while carrying the key, and the engine switch is pressed while the brake pedal is depressed, the power source control ECU recognizes that the engine start operation has occurred and sends a certification request signal to the certification ECU. Upon receipt of the
certification request signal, the certification ECU sends a request signal to the indoor electrical key oscillator. Upon receipt of the request signal, the indoor electrical key oscillator sends a request signal to detect if the key is inside the vehicle. When the key receives this request signal, it answers by sending an ID code containing a response code through the glass antenna to the door control receiver. Upon receipt of the ID code, the certification ECU analyzes the code. If the interior certification passes, then the power source control ECU sends a certification pass response signal.
Oh, no alarm protects your car. They only give you a discount on your insurance. How many people turn and look when a car alarm goes off? How many people question anything when a car on a flatbed tow truck has a screaming alarm system? I only worry about one thing - is my insurance paid up?

Last edited by lobuxracer; 12-01-06 at 09:28 PM.