IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

i got in an accident

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-06, 10:23 AM
khoongy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i got in an accident

hi there. this is my first post. i usually just read what you interesting people have to say.

i drive an 07 is350. i got it about 3 weeks before my accident.

anyway, last tuesday this insane woman driver decides to cut off a big rig, but she didnt pass it completely. so the big rig hits her rear as she is changing into his lane , which turned her car almost completely horizontal and straight into my lane. so all of a sudden i come face to face with the side of her car. it was an ugly car with an even uglier woman inside. so i do my best to dodge her, but she still hit my front left fender/bumper. and to avoid t-boning her (shudder ), i had to drive over a curb on the side of the freeway, which made 4" cuts on some of my tires and scratched my sideskirts. im not sure if there was any underbody damage.
so my car ends up in a dirt ditch on the side of the freeway, just before my exit to school. my car ended up being stuck in the dirt and i only dug a bigger hole for myself when i tried to drive out of the dirt. so i called lexus roadside..and they called AAA...and they got here within 20 minutes. on my drive home( yes the car is still very drive-able), i noticed my left HID was pointing awkwardly high. i could see the street signs light up above the freeways and when i drove down my street, my HIDs allowed me to see to the top of trees and houses. the next day i took the car in for an estimate and it came out to be $5000. they are going to replace or fix:
left fender
bumper
leftfog light
left headlamp
suspension
all 4 tires
sideskirts
left rim
allignment
re-paint my left door and hood to match the fender/bumper..

uhh... i think thats it.

but anyway, the accident was not too bad. i am unharmed. but who cares about me, right? ...the car received very minimal body damage..just a few scratches..nothing serious. so i wont be getting my car back for around a month. the rental car im driving is a corolla and it stinks . i have to manually roll down my windows and manually lock/unlock my door.

anyway, no airbags deployed..but it wasnt necessary for them to deploy anyway. so ..3 more weeks until i get my car back.
Old 12-01-06, 10:42 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank God you're unharmed!!!

I hope you get your car fixed soon. Too bad you have a Corolla for now (I know, we're spoiled), but it'll do the job for getting you from point A to B.

Take care and keep us informed on the progress.
Old 12-01-06, 10:42 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

sorry to hear that.
that lady's insurance better be paying for your "loss".

btw what freeway was it on?
Old 12-01-06, 10:49 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sorry to hear that, glad you're okay though.
Old 12-01-06, 11:01 AM
viettho
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear that, my lady got hit on the bumper after 2 weeks. So, don't feel bad. As long you you are OK, then it's all good.
Old 12-01-06, 11:08 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If the suspension has to be replaced, I would get rid of the car. If the control arms bent, that meanst subframe cross members probably also bent. It'll never drive the way it's suposed to.
Old 12-01-06, 11:11 AM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by khoongy
it was an ugly car with an even uglier woman inside.
I couldn't help it but just ended up laughing when I read this line I'm glad that you're unharmed. Afterall, your well being is more important than anything else. I know that you're bummed out about this incident but good job with keeping it light hearted. Take care!!!
Old 12-01-06, 11:17 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you are okay, that's what's important. Goo Lexus, safe car powahh.
Old 12-01-06, 11:29 AM
danis
Rookie

Default Wreck

I would complain loudly about the Corolla replacement car if it is the lady's insurance that is paying for it. I would demand (and have when I was hit a few months ago) a more comparable rental. You won't get a Lexus but you can demand something better than a Corola. Initially, the insurance company would not upgrade me but as I moved up the chain and threatened (I am an attorney) they gave in.
Old 12-01-06, 11:32 AM
trio
Driver

Originally Posted by Och
If the suspension has to be replaced, I would get rid of the car. If the control arms bent, that meanst subframe cross members probably also bent. It'll never drive the way it's suposed to.
Not if they replace the subframe. The subframe comes in parts that are held together by pins. You take out the damaged parts of the frame, drop the new pieces in, drop in the pins, and reinforce it.

Regardless, I don't think his subframe even got hit considering that he avoided t-boning her. Pics would help though.

Good to hear you're okay and I hope you know a good body shop.
Old 12-01-06, 01:01 PM
khoongy
Driver

it happened on the 60 freeway near diamond bar. i was driving to school @ cal poly. =p

the other day i parked next to a white(same color as mine) 06 is350 with navi...and i saw his clublexus sticker

the lady on the phone said they are gonna do some measuring using lasers and what not and fix it if its not proportional. something like that..im not really car-literate past the basics so i really didnt know what she was talking about. oh, and i took it to lexus collision center @ longo. i wanted to take it to marcos autobody because my friend who works at longo said the longo collision center sucks. the person who sold me the car also said so. yet, i still took my car there be cause its on the way home from school.

so if any car-literate person can tell me what they plan to do using laser measuring, let me know

also, for some odd reason, my ventilated seats seem to have more power around the testicular area. maybe its because my jeans are cheap ... but im not complaining. it feels great on a hot day ! haha
Old 12-01-06, 02:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I would defenately take it to your friends shop, if you can trust them. Auto body work is very very complicated, its maybe 1 in 10,000 or repaired cars that comes out with factory like quality. Most other repairs are just butchered.
Old 12-02-06, 06:04 AM
trio
Driver

The lasers I believe are used to measure the amount of damage to the frame. Take it to a good auto body. It's your car and you have the right to say who fixes it. They're going to pressure you to keep the car there just because they want the job.
Old 12-02-06, 06:14 AM
sleepyhead
Driver School Candidate

does her insurance pay for your rental? i also had an accident 2 mos ago and the guy's auto insurance paid my rental. tell the woman's auto insurance adjustor that you should get a car with the same value as your is. enterprise usually offers american brand cars, so the lend me a cadillac dts (i know it's for older people but i'd rather choose it over a corolla)
Old 12-27-06, 11:01 PM
IronPhoenX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sleepyhead
does her insurance pay for your rental? i also had an accident 2 mos ago and the guy's auto insurance paid my rental. tell the woman's auto insurance adjustor that you should get a car with the same value as your is. enterprise usually offers american brand cars, so the lend me a cadillac dts (i know it's for older people but i'd rather choose it over a corolla)
I just got into an accident. Did you pay for the extra rental insurance? And if you did, did the other insurance company pay for that too?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=255602